Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jens Voigt's Position...what do you think?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jens Voigt's Position...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-13, 10:04 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Bear in mind that this is a pro cyclist for the better part of 20 years who has been on major pro teams most of which had close relationships with major bicycle manufacturers. These guys spend a considerable amount of time being fawned over by factory reps who are experts on bike fit, and then in wind tunnel testing, etc, etc. I'm highly confident Jens' fit has been uber-analyzed to death by several different major bicycle firms.

Ultimately half of this bike fit voodoo is utter bull**** anyway, it's what works for YOU.
Old 08-24-13, 10:05 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

This thread really raised the 41 Idiot Bar to unprecedented heights.

Who would have even that that possible?

Well done.
Old 08-25-13, 05:36 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Bear in mind that this is a pro cyclist for the better part of 20 years who has been on major pro teams most of which had close relationships with major bicycle manufacturers. These guys spend a considerable amount of time being fawned over by factory reps who are experts on bike fit, and then in wind tunnel testing, etc, etc. I'm highly confident Jens' fit has been uber-analyzed to death by several different major bicycle firms.

Ultimately half of this bike fit voodoo is utter bull**** anyway, it's what works for YOU.
I agree with this...but your blanket post that followed is what lowers the bar on the 41...not people sharing their opinion.
Old 08-25-13, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
He's got a short torso and long legs. The UCI doesn't allow the saddle tip forward the bottom bracket (even with an anatomical exception). Very leggy people like that would probably be benefited by a forward saddle to avoid the elbow/knee overlap (though this would affect weight distribution adversely). The overlap can be a control issue too: one of our local track racers has a knee/elbow overlap; during a race he moved his elbow in reaction to another rider (or was bumped; was unclear from watching); his knee hit his elbow and his bike was pushed way off line from the hit.

Definitely not ideal, but I am not sure what a person with these types of body dimensions is to do about it.

I have the opposite problem. My legs are short relative to my body which forces me to larger frame sizes and makes it difficult to get the bars low enough depending on the brand of frame. This new trend of sloped top tubes has not made it better.
Curious as to why....
Old 08-25-13, 06:35 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I agree with this...but your blanket post that followed is what lowers the bar on the 41...not people sharing their opinion.
Old 08-25-13, 06:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... The UCI doesn't allow the saddle tip forward the bottom bracket (even with an anatomical exception).
Originally Posted by Miller2
Curious as to why....
I believe, unless they've changed it, the actual measurement is not less than 50mm of setback from BB center to the forward most part of the saddle nose. IOW minimum saddle setback of 50mm.

As to the reason. Well, the UCI want to control the aesthetic of cycling and are concerned that if they let people move their saddles closer to the bottom bracket they would rotate their positons around said BB toward looking increasingly like superman. We must all ride like Eddy did. So sayeth the UCI. Amen.

Last edited by bigfred; 08-25-13 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 06:45 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

The idiocy here is infinite, like the cosmos itself.

If that observation lowers your bar, look inward young Fredling.
Old 08-25-13, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Jens - a tall guy, long legs and arms, short torso.
his position is not that crunched up for him
here's his bike, his setup specs
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...-series-36321/
note the saddlesetback and saddle to bar dim...
short torso and long legs usually means a lot more setup options when it come to reach - my take...
seems to work for him
And I'm built a lot like Jens:
Relatively tall, long legs, long arms, short torso, and my position is a lot like Jens' as well. I also ride a lot like Je....well.....I ride a lot.
Old 08-25-13, 09:17 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
He's got a short torso and long legs. The UCI doesn't allow the saddle tip forward the bottom bracket (even with an anatomical exception). Very leggy people like that would probably be benefited by a forward saddle to avoid the elbow/knee overlap (though this would affect weight distribution adversely). The overlap can be a control issue too: one of our local track racers has a knee/elbow overlap; during a race he moved his elbow in reaction to another rider (or was bumped; was unclear from watching); his knee hit his elbow and his bike was pushed way off line from the hit.

Definitely not ideal, but I am not sure what a person with these types of body dimensions is to do about it.

I have the opposite problem. My legs are short relative to my body which forces me to larger frame sizes and makes it difficult to get the bars low enough depending on the brand of frame. This new trend of sloped top tubes has not made it better.
What does a sloped top tube have to do with it?
Old 08-25-13, 09:36 PM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by halfspeed
is this a serious question?
Old 08-25-13, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Most manufacturers have used a sloped top tube to increase the head tube length. This make it challenging for me to fit to a frame, requiring me to choose between handlebar drop, reach, and bike handling (stem length). It took a while to get the bike right after my level top tube 2007 5.2 Madone was warrantee replaced with a sloped top tube 2013 4.7 Madone. I went from a size 58cm to a size 56, replaced the stock headset cap with a low profile (and slammed the stem), the 120mm stem with a 130, and moved the saddle forward a cm or so. It all worked out, but it took a while and some experimenting to get right.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-25-13 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:25 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
I believe, unless they've changed it, the actual measurement is not less than 50mm of setback from BB center to the forward most part of the saddle nose. IOW minimum saddle setback of 50mm.
If you have an anatomical exception, which most if not all of the pros you see on TV have, you can have the saddle nose even with the BB center.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-25-13, 10:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have an anatomical exception, which most if not all of the pros you see on TV have, you can have the saddle nose even with the BB center.
Do you know the criteria for the anatomical exception? I thought there wasn't one, not even for TT'ing. Unlike the forward limit of the bars, which allows you the extra 5cm as long as your elbow angle does not exceed 120deg.
Old 08-25-13, 10:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never mind. I found it. I would be surprised if it was any help to the long legged guys. Most of them will be Knee ahead of pedal spindle at 5cm of setback unless they're running really long cranks. Now I understand why it hadn't stuck in my head. It's a rule for the shorter riders. Just as the handlebar exception is there for the tall/long riders.

"The peak of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5 cm to the rear of a vertical plane passing through the bottom bracket spindle (1). This restriction shall not be applied to the bicycle ridden by a rider in a Flying 200 m, Flying Lap, Team Sprint, track sprint event, keirin, 500 metres or 1 kilometre time trials; however, in no circumstances shall the peak of the saddle extend in front of a vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle.

(1) The distances mentioned in footnote (1) to articles 1.3.013 and 1.3.016 above may be reduced where that is necessary for morphological reasons. By morphological reasons should be understood everything to do with the size and limb length of the rider.

Any rider who, for these reasons, considers that he needs to use a bicycle of lesser dimensions than those given shall inform the commissaires' panel to that effect when presenting his licence. In that case, the panel may conduct the following test. Using a plumb-line, they shall check to see whether, when pedalling, the point of the rider's knee when at its foremost position passes beyond a vertical line passing through the pedal spindle (see diagram «Measurements (2)»)."
Old 08-25-13, 10:37 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Do you know the criteria for the anatomical exception? I thought there wasn't one, not even for TT'ing. Unlike the forward limit of the bars, which allows you the extra 5cm as long as your elbow angle does not exceed 120deg.
Originally Posted by www.slowtwitch.com

The rule provides for what's called a morphological exception, and if a rider is especially short, or has a short femur, he or she can apply to have the saddle moved forward of that spot.

How is such an application made, and how often is it granted? According to the rules, the riders are given a "test" by the commissaires prior to the race. You pedal the bike, and the forward protrusion of your knee cannot pass in front of the pedal axle. Of course, you simply ride on the rearward part of the saddle during the test. As one highly-placed federation technical director put, "Everyone who takes the test passes, and these people get to ride a position unavailable to the naive or unaware."

https://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...tr/tt_fit.html
This is what I've found. It's about the knee position relative to the pedal axle. You get a morphological exception if you sit on the back of the saddle during the test.
Old 08-25-13, 10:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need a longer saddle.
Old 08-26-13, 02:06 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out Jens Voigt's position in the drops below.
Do you guys run this much arm/knee overlap in the drops?
Granted he is riding the rivet to open his hip angle a bit but seem like his handlebar is in awfully close.
Who is to quibble with a top pro but what do you guys think?
I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing.
Old 08-26-13, 05:51 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice41000
I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing.
Actually Jens was pretty deflated by this thread until he read Pcad's endorsement. Now he has renewed confidence his position is OK.
Old 08-26-13, 06:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht

is this a serious question?
Yes. Since a sloped top tube, in and of itself, has nothing to do with reach and I don't have relatively short legs.
Old 08-26-13, 06:19 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most manufacturers have used a sloped top tube to increase the head tube length. This make it challenging for me to fit to a frame, requiring me to choose between handlebar drop, reach, and bike handling (stem length). It took a while to get the bike right after my level top tube 2007 5.2 Madone was warrantee replaced with a sloped top tube 2013 4.7 Madone. I went from a size 58cm to a size 56, replaced the stock headset cap with a low profile (and slammed the stem), the 120mm stem with a 130, and moved the saddle forward a cm or so. It all worked out, but it took a while and some experimenting to get right.
I guess I had noticed that more frames are starting to look like sensible geometry for me. I hadn't thought about what that means for you.
Old 08-26-13, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're dealing with the yoda of fredlings there.
Old 08-27-13, 03:00 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Actually Jens was pretty deflated by this thread until he read Pcad's endorsement. Now he has renewed confidence his position is OK.
Lol.
Old 08-27-13, 03:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I chuckle about a fit comment from a rider who will take his bike to the shop to get a flat fixed.
Old 08-27-13, 04:05 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I chuckle about a fit comment from a rider who will take his bike to the shop to get a flat fixed.
I don't know what you're talking about here, but then, that makes two of us.
Old 08-27-13, 04:17 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

I don't know what you're talking about here, but then, that makes two of us.
It's like he's in his very own class of Arrogant Idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.