Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fellow cyclist collides with car

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fellow cyclist collides with car

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 02:00 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not easy for the cyclist to make eye contact when really cruising along with head tucked down and not looking ahead to where he is going. Quite easy to make body to metal contact though.
When riding in a city (which is my frame of reference), one would be a fool to "really cruise along with head tucked down and not look ahead" ...

I do that when I'm out in the country on training rides ... commuting, that's a different story
Old 08-29-13, 08:22 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
When riding in a city (which is my frame of reference), one would be a fool to "really cruise along with head tucked down and not look ahead" ...

I do that when I'm out in the country on training rides ... commuting, that's a different story
You are correct about the foolhardiness of riding like that in traffic.
My frame of reference is the OP's description of the riding technique of the "Fellow Cyclist" who was fool enough to ride head down right into a car in front of him.
Old 08-29-13, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Smoothie E/S, Cannondale Road Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13

Expect drivers to do dumb stuff. If you see a car on a side street expect them to pull out in front of you at the last minute. If you are crossing an intersection expect the car in front of you to make a left in front of you (even when they make eye contact first).
This is absolutely true. Drivers frequently look at me both on my bike and sometimes in even my car and still pull out or turn in front of me. Depending on my mood I sometimes nod or wave at drivers that don't pull out in front of me. I just don't trust any cars not to do dangerous things.

One thing I've noticed is that most drivers just don't have any sense of my speed. It's not that I'm a fast rider but my speed is more akin to the speed of a car than to that of a pedestrian. I think a lot of drivers see me as a pedestrian on wheels and don't expect me to arrive at an intersection as quickly as I do.
Old 08-29-13, 09:57 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
I rode motorcycles for a long time.

Please don't rely on eye contact. I have had numerous occasions where they looked my right in the eye and still didn't see and some who saw and didn't care. As though they looked right through me. So please maintain your ready to slow/stop until they can no longer hit you even if they were trying to.
Exactly. Adding bright lights gets me noticed more, enough so that drivers pull out in front of me a lot less now.
Old 08-29-13, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Exactly. Adding bright lights gets me noticed more, enough so that drivers pull out in front of me a lot less now.
Concur, I seem to get more room running blinkies, less honking and other hostility...
Old 08-30-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: 96 GT Talera, 2000 Marin Sausalito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a strobe front and back, day and night.
Old 08-30-13, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
We ride the road on 30A. Too many walkers, strollers, beach cruisers, etc. Especially from Rosemary to Grayton.
Old 08-30-13, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 1991 Eddie Merckx Corsa, 1991 Cannondale 3.0 Road Race, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justme23
I use a strobe front and back, day and night.
Strobe front in day certainly, but I am of the opinion that one's front light should be solid for night riding to aid in spotting potholes and other road hazards.
Old 08-30-13, 06:34 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might wear hi-vis vests and run flashing strobes. You think you will be seen.

If you hold a pencil at arms length and look down the road...........you will cover a lot more stuff than you are wide.

Not a lot that you do matters whether or not you will be seen.

You have to ride knowing that you are less than a 1/4" wide.
Old 08-30-13, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNTC
Strobe front in day certainly, but I am of the opinion that one's front light should be solid for night riding to aid in spotting potholes and other road hazards.
Not to mention avoiding epileptic seizures. I can't turn my front light to blinking until I can no longer see it reflecting off the road, or I get twitchy.
Old 08-30-13, 09:56 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
It doesn't make too much difference how many lights or reflectors or bright vests a fellow cyclist uses if he rides head down in traffic and doesn't pay much attention to the road ahead.
Old 09-01-13, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek 7.3FX, Trek 4.7 Madone, Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I also used to ride a motorcycle and a few things that transfer over for me:

Always be scanning the road. Not just in front of you but 20 yards in front, 50, 100. See potential hazards well before you get to them

Cover the brakes when riding in traffic. You can't make a split second emergency stop if your hand is not over the brake lever already.

Expect drivers to do dumb stuff. If you see a car on a side street expect them to pull out in front of you at the last minute. If you are crossing an intersection expect the car in front of you to make a left in front of you (even when they make eye contact first).
Sage advice here!
Old 09-01-13, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek 7.3FX, Trek 4.7 Madone, Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I always take the entire lane when flying down hills. But when huffing and puffing up big hills I'm usually far right or in the bike lane if there is one.
Agree with this. On one portion of my commute, I bomb down a hill at 30+ mph. There's no way that someone should be passing me unless they're exceeding the speed limit, but they still try (perhaps something about being stuck behind a bicycle). I'll take the lane, to prevent them from trying to pull a risky pass. As soon as I hit the bottom of the hill and am about to start the climb out of the valley, I immediately pull AFRAP.