Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling shoe advice please.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 07:39 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Evo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I'm curious as to what some of you guys are using for cycling shoes because I'm debating on whether to upgrade my basic road bike shoes to a more better model for longer rides or go with a TRi cycling shoe since I'm training up for Duathlons and Triathlons. I have just a basic model specialized sport road bike shoe with shimano 105 spd-sl pedals / cleats. I'm sure many of you would probably say go with what fits best I guess. I have somewhat wide feet so and I notice a lot of triathlon cycling shoes look narrow, IMO. I've been looking at many road shoes and some tri shoes like these too https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...02_-1___400462. I mean will there be some downfall in terms of the fit that I'll have to get used to if I were to go into a triathlon cycling shoe?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-13, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Jamis Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano is about the only supplier of wide shoes. Some say they are pretty good shoes and the fit is pretty close to spot on, but you need so check the sizing conversion chart since they use metric sizing.
Old 08-30-13, 08:16 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I use SIDI road shoes. I have tried SPD's, Look,
and now Speedplays pedals with the same shoes.
I'm using the standard width but they also come
in Mega(wide) sizes.
Old 08-30-13, 08:57 PM
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I have wide feet and can't wear normal cycling shoes or even some brand's wider version (Giro, Sidi). Lake makes several styles in wide widths and over the years they have worked well for me. Apparently they have had distribution problems for years and tend to be difficult to find in shops. I also have had good luck with Northwaves. Both my current road racing and mtn bike shoes are Northwaves (couldn't find Lakes at the time). They have a bigger toe box that works well even though they are not a "wide" version. If your looking at Giros make sure you can try them on. Good luck.
Old 08-31-13, 12:05 AM

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically wear 4EE running shoes. I recently bought a pair of Sidi Pro Carbon shoes in 44 1/2 Mega. They fit me great and I could not be happier. They were far from cheap, however I would definitely purchase them again!
Old 08-31-13, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
As said, Sidi and Lake make wide specific shoes and Northwave, my shoe of choice for comfort, stiffness and a wider toe box, is a good bet also.
Tri shoes generally use a wider 2 strap method for securing to the foot and making easier in and out but otherwise not much of a difference between Tri and road shoes.
Find the shoe that fits best and is comfortable, buy them and wear them...