Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Warning Issued To Bicyclists In NYC

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Warning Issued To Bicyclists In NYC

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 10:02 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I ride the greenway all the time, but only once late enough that I needed lights, and it was still not fully dark. It didn't feel at all threatening.

For that matter, I've only started riding at night in the last year when I discovered high powered LED lighting!
For me the most enjoyable time to ride the Greenway (not as up as to the above Washington Heights area) is in the evening after it gets dark. Few people on the path, quiet, breezy wind without the sun shining to your face, and occasionally can see some cyclists' fancy wheel lights
Old 09-13-13, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10, 1985 Nishiki Prestige single speed conversion, 2018 Cervelo R5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Just another reason to have a concealed weapon. I bet they wouldn't pull this crap again if they feared getting shot (which they probably already are afraid of).
+1 on self-defense, but better not bring a handgun into NYC without the proper credentials or you may face mandatory sentencing.

NYC is safer than ever but its a big place and there are place that should be avoided after dark. Apparently the green way is one of those places but there are many well-lit and low traffic alternatives, such as Riverside Dr, West End Ave, Columbus Ave, St Nicholas Ave and 9th Ave. Anyone can get a free NYC cycling map from an LBS and identify suitable options for returning home to NJ.
Old 09-13-13, 11:10 AM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No more stop and frisk-right?
Now the cops are supposed to have stronger probably cause?
Normal folks can't be adequately armed, so all you can do is avoid this area-cede it to the thugs.
Oh well.
Folks can be armed in NOLA,but same story-plenty of places you shouldn't go at night.
Old 09-13-13, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I had stopped thinking that ANY place was unsafe in the city, but I guess not. I ride the greenway all the time, but only once late enough that I needed lights, and it was still not fully dark. It didn't feel at all threatening.

For that matter, I've only started riding at night in the last year when I discovered high powered LED lighting!
I would say that there are very few places in the whole City that one could honestly call "unsafe". A dark stretch of the remote Greenway at night would probably be one of them. It's really hard to think of any others.

Regarding riding at night: I generally don't do it -- but not because of fear. I try to hit the hottest points of any day when I am riding for pleasure; so that means that I rarely ride at night. For me, nighttime riding happens mainly in winter, when the sun goes down before I get home from work, and sometimes when I leave to go to work before sunrise; it happens also when I occasionally stay late at work.

But I am curious about your comment that you started riding at night only when you discovered high-powered lighting. I have lights on my helmet that I turn on at night; but these lights are for me to be seen; not for me to see. I haven't found locations where the streetlights aren't enough for me to see. (Well, except for that portion of the Greenway where the attacks took place.) Where do you ride in the City where the streetlights aren't sufficient?

When I was a kid, there were places at the City line where the streetlights ended. One time I got caught out in Nassau County after the sun had gone all the way down (I think I was on Union Tpke. or Hillside Ave.; I don't remember), and I had to ride in darkness until I got back into the City under the lights. Ever since then it's been my observation that we don't really have "darkness" in the City.
Old 09-13-13, 02:13 PM
vol

When some of you say there are few unsafe places in the "city", I take it that you were referring to Manhattan and not NYC? I'm fairly comfortable with Manhattan except for Harlem northward, but the other boroughs are much more unsafe.
Old 09-13-13, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
When some of you say there are few unsafe places in the "city", I take it that you were referring to Manhattan and not NYC? I'm fairly comfortable with Manhattan except for Harlem northward, but the other boroughs are much more unsafe.
I'm referring to the entire City. I ride extensively in far northern Manhattan and in the Bronx; and I live on the Brooklyn/Queens border, so I ride a lot in those boroughs also. (I rarely ride in Staten Island, but only due to lack of interest.)

I can't think of a single place that I would be afraid to go. You might hear some tall tales about Hunts Point or New Lots or Queensbridge or Washington Heights. Don't believe them.
Old 09-13-13, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
No, I'm also referring to the entire city. I ride the Bronx and never give it a thought. I ride all over Brooklyn since I live there. I only avoid Queens because there isn't much there to see, not because it is unsafe in any way. And let's just fuggedabout Staten Island.

As for my lighting comment, I had lights for a few years, but only used them to ride in the park when it started to get dark early. Last year though I bought a much brighter light that really makes you visible. I can stand on any corner of midtown and see all the bike lights coming at me, but only a few really stand out. I like that I am one of those that is very noticeable. It is a rare thing that I really need them to see.
Old 09-13-13, 03:22 PM
vol

I think one's opinion about personal safety largely depends on who they are. If you are a big tall tough-looking man, then most places are safe for you.
Old 09-16-13, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10, 1985 Nishiki Prestige single speed conversion, 2018 Cervelo R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I think one's opinion about personal safety largely depends on who they are. If you are a big tall tough-looking man, then most places are safe for you.
If you're clothes lined and outnumbered, you need to be Chuck Connors strong.
Old 09-16-13, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
I'm referring to the entire City. I ride extensively in far northern Manhattan and in the Bronx; and I live on the Brooklyn/Queens border, so I ride a lot in those boroughs also. (I rarely ride in Staten Island, but only due to lack of interest.)

I can't think of a single place that I would be afraid to go. You might hear some tall tales about Hunts Point or New Lots or Queensbridge or Washington Heights. Don't believe them.
+1 I bike throughout Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx. Even in the poorest neighborhoods, I feel safe and find the locals to be friendly and helpful.
Old 09-16-13, 08:40 PM
vol

Originally Posted by Whizzer283
+1 I bike throughout Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx. Even in the poorest neighborhoods, I feel safe and find the locals to be friendly and helpful.
It takes only one random bullet... (I'm less worried about being robbed or attacked, but random shooting is something hard to prevent.)
Old 09-17-13, 04:22 AM

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It takes only one random bullet... (I'm less worried about being robbed or attacked, but random shooting is something hard to prevent.)
"a life lived in fear, is a life half lived" do what u need to do to empower yourself, don't be such a wuss
Old 09-17-13, 04:25 AM

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Thrasymachus;16029480]That is just a ******y comment [/QUOTE @Thrasymachus shut up already!
Old 09-17-13, 05:11 AM
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whizzer- Chuck Connors?
Wow dated reference
but Chuck Connors- Rifleman???
He had a rifle-??
Old 09-17-13, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Whizzer- Chuck Connors?
Wow dated reference
but Chuck Connors- Rifleman???
He had a rifle-??
Damn! I meant Chuck Norris!!
Old 09-17-13, 10:43 AM
vol

Also, you never know what those teenagers are capable of doing. I've had them throw hard objects at me for no reason, though I still have to ride in that area.

Originally Posted by anthonybkny
"a life lived in fear, is a life half lived" do what u need to do to empower yourself, don't be such a wuss
The question is whether something is more worth doing with one's life than another thing. Not to mention that for me I wouldn't even find any joy in riding in certain areas, dangerous or not.
Old 09-17-13, 12:04 PM
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whizzer
OK
But maybe in your heart of hearts you realized Chuck Connors-and his Winchester-was safer in dodgy places
Old 03-06-15, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did this work? are police patrolling these lanes and are the people protected? or is this still a problem?

------------
Old 03-06-15, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
did this work? are police patrolling these lanes and are the people protected? or is this still a problem?

------------
I know it's March of 2015 and it was 23 degrees out after 6 inches of snow yesterday.

Do you really think the cops are patrolling the Hudson bike path ?.
Old 03-09-15, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I know it's March of 2015 and it was 23 degrees out after 6 inches of snow yesterday.

Do you really think the cops are patrolling the Hudson bike path ?.
geez i didn't mean to incite such snark.

i just mean has anyone noticed any change on this path since 2013 with regards to this issue when there was the last of these posts, not necessarily this past winter season.

to explain, someone linked this particular thread from a more recent commuting thread b/c they're trying to find their way to NJ and i bumped to find some answers...(and not snark)
Old 03-09-15, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I was riding the Greenway into December (avoiding the upper part after 4 pm or so). I did not notice increased police presence up there then, but I haven't heard about any more attacks. They did finish a lot of the construction an the park around 160 or 170th street that had been obstructed and was a prime mugging spot. Since it is open now, it feels safer (now meaning december...haven't been since). I would still avoid it above 133rd after dark. I would even be hesitant on other stretches that are more isolated.

I would just advise caution, especially as it gets dark.
Old 03-10-15, 10:05 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by punkinevil
I was riding the Greenway into December (avoiding the upper part after 4 pm or so). I did not notice increased police presence up there then, but I haven't heard about any more attacks. They did finish a lot of the construction an the park around 160 or 170th street that had been obstructed and was a prime mugging spot. Since it is open now, it feels safer (now meaning december...haven't been since). I would still avoid it above 133rd after dark. I would even be hesitant on other stretches that are more isolated.

I would just advise caution, especially as it gets dark.
This may be good advice, but I haven't been following it. I've been riding it after dark, and I've been the only one I see for long stretches. I work in the Bronx and live in lower Manhattan, and it's the most logical choice of route for me. So far, so good. I wear a mirror on my glasses and am constantly looking around. Not that that is complete protection, but I do try to be aware of my surroundings. I sometimes listen to headphones, but I only cover one ear.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.