Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What to buy, brand-new or nearly new?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,
I have been shopping for a bike and I happen to find a almost brand-new trek FX 7.2 on craigslist for $430. It was only ride a few times. The retail price at a LBS is $550. As per the Trek warranty program says on the web, the lifetime warranty on frame/form only applies to the original buyer. So if I buy the craigslist one for $120 less, I will need to give up the lifetime warranty on frame.

I think this can be generalized to all used bikes on craigslist or other places. Do you think it'll be worth a couple hundred dollars to give up the warranty? Thanks.
Old 09-09-13, 01:09 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes, highly unlikely you would be using the warranty for that bike model/price level. If you ever broke the frame some time down the road you will probably be at a point in time where you would want to be upgrading bike anyway.
Old 09-09-13, 03:50 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a frame warranty unless it was full carbon,or if you were MTBing or touring.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-09-13, 07:29 PM

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Yep! To much in my book. Lets see, no lifetime warranty on frame and no free tune up from the selling dealer, around here a good tune up runs about $75. One place I buy from gives one full year free tune ups on any new bike he sells. The most I would pay would be half on the new price $275 tops. What can you buy it for as a year end close out at the bike dealer at? I would bet $100 off.
Old 09-09-13, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, yeah, probably.
Old 09-10-13, 08:56 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
those "free" tune ups are useless anyway. I feel like it is more hassle to get home from work early, load the bike up, get to the LBS, wait a couple of days, get off work early, go to the LBS pick up the bike. Id rather just get a screwdriver, adjust a few screws, clean all the drive train with a brush and a rag, lube the chain and cogs... some brake cleaner on the disks... life is good.

Doing it myself takes about 20 minutes, having them do it takes 40 minutes + a couple of days of lost bike.

Also note that very few people post on craigslist/kijiji with a truly "firm" price. Note that the dealer's price will aso add sales tax making the difference bigger. Im just saying.... explore your options. I know everytime i post, I add a good 10-20% on top of what I really would be willing to take, just so the buyer feels like they gave in a little. People know what things are worth, just mention the warranty and free tune up to the seller and they will lower for you surely. There ARE some people who think they are entitled to get all of their money back for a used item.....

Last edited by blue_cheese; 09-10-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-10-13, 04:39 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_cheese
those "free" tune ups are useless anyway.
QFT. I do several 'free tuneups' on old bikes every Sat at my clinic. All the shops do is tighten the shift cables,tweak the limit screws,and adjust the brakes. Plenty of sites and YouTube videos that can show you how to do it,as well as many local co-ops/bike kitchens/clinics.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-10-13, 05:11 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
They are asking 78% of full retail.
IF a used bike was in 98% new condition, I would not pay more than 65%.

I've also noticed a lot of "almost new" bikes on CL are often 2-3 years old.
Sometimes they may actually have a better component package then the brand new version to maintain price points.

bikepedia.com can often help you tell the actual year by color etc.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-10-13 at 09:38 PM.