Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sharing success

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sharing success

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 07:05 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Sharing success

Some of you may remember when I posted that I was ready for a life change and after talking with my doctor I got a food and health coach? What I wanted was to be a better cyclist but to be a healthier one as well. Since June 21, 2013 I have lost 44 pounds and finally my energy level is coming back and my attitude has improved a lot. No I haven’t learned to love hills but I hate them less. But like I told my doctor the other day, I never thought I would have to look for some new Bibs because I needed smaller Spandex.
After the group ride Wednesday I noticed I had spent a lot more time in the drops than I used to. Maybe because I can get down there and still breathe now I am not sure. Anyway today I decided to flip my stem to flatten my back some more on those long fast runs.
I have a way to go before I start learning how to maintain this new eating lifestyle but I am looking forward to rides I used to dread. Getting over those long big rollers is a lot easier than it used to be.
I still believe cycling can help make us healthy but I now also believe actively working on my health makes me a better cyclist.
Old 09-12-13, 07:58 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, and congratulations. Onward and upward!
Old 09-12-13, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Great stuff. I hope you are able to keep the positive changes moving forward. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part.
Old 09-13-13, 05:34 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
YES!!!, this is the type of post that keeps me riding and working on my fitness. I have enjoyed following your progress and the P.M.s we swapped about this goal we share. Glad you have found something that keeps you improving and enjoying riding.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-13-13, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that God is in control of everything but I also know that cycling has changed my life for the better. Cycling just seems to be the best type of exercise for me that there could ever be. I can adjust my output to accommodate how my body is feeling and just keep exercise where as with a lot of sports and exercise you have to go full out or stay at home.

Thanks for posting about your success and just keep turning the cranks. Good things will happen.
Old 09-13-13, 07:17 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Whoa ... now that is a success story!

You know, life snowballs. You get overweight and out of shape, and that makes it harder to exercise, which makes you more overweight and out of shape. Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the other hand, it works the same in reverse, and you are now on that track ... snowballing UPhill to getting in shape, making it easier and more fun to do what you love.

And that rocks. Enjoy the ride!

Old 09-13-13, 08:42 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
"never stop learning" "never stop exercising"
Old 09-13-13, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! Your testimony is inspiring to all.
Old 09-13-13, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news. Seems to me, though, that 44 lbs in 2 1/2 months is a lot of weight lost in a short amount of time.
But, hey, you made it work for you and that's great.
Old 09-13-13, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Great news. Seems to me, though, that 44 lbs in 2 1/2 months is a lot of weight lost in a short amount of time.
But, hey, you made it work for you and that's great.
At first I was concerned as well. But between my Doctor, health coach and their nutrition support I was told I was doing fine. For the first few weeks when the weight loss was greatest I did suffer some explosive energy loss. Sprinting was a chore but long term stamina was still there. They had me check with nutrition support and report my numbers and I was told I was ok but I had to stay in the zone training part of the program. Stay out of zone 4 and add some fruit to my breakfast. The last two weeks I have been seeing improvement in my riding but the weight loss has slowed to a crawl. Doesn't matter to me at this point because I am looking at it as delayed gratification. Once I reach my weight goal they will assess what foods are best for me and that I am really looking forward to. The biggest thing we have changed is the number of times I eat, six not three, and the foods I eat. By the end of the day we are looking for a 40-40-20 Protein, carb and fat intake and on those days I do best.
Old 09-13-13, 06:11 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Well done. As a small guy that balloned to 193 for a while, cycling saved me too. I'm back under 150 where I belong and feeling much better about myself, life and the way my clothes fit. I too went from XL to to medium. I own a suit I can't believe ever fit. I have a larger fried that benefited from all my XL cycling clothes I gave him.

Carry on! Great story!
Old 09-14-13, 02:53 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nicely done.
Old 09-14-13, 05:01 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
44 pounds. That's like two whole bikes less weight. 19,900 grams.
Old 09-14-13, 06:18 AM

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sharing Success

I thought the thread title was going to imply you would pass along some of the tips and secrets you learned from your food and health coach. You know, for those of us that cant afford one of those. Congrats on your success!
Old 09-14-13, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DEW21
I thought the thread title was going to imply you would pass along some of the tips and secrets you learned from your food and health coach. You know, for those of us that cant afford one of those. Congrats on your success!
Tips? Eat six times a day, every two to three hours. Never skip breakfast. In my case 4 of those meals are called replacement meals much like an Adkins bar or EAS protein drink but with a wider variety. Two of the meals are lean protein and green vegetables. Lean Beef, lean turkey, Skinless Chicken, and Fish. 5-7 ounces going from beef to fish. I can also have eggs or egg beaters. No bread, no starchy foods, and no high sugar fruit like Bananas.

I have been told to train or exercise in zone 2 or 3 and try to stay out of zone 4. In other words stay in the aerobic zone and stay out of the anaerobic zone as much as possible.

Once I have reached my goal weight then the coach will slowly add foods back till we find what the best meals are for my body type and metabolism.

But some of the people than have asked me the same question have said, "I can't give up my buttered potatoes or pasta or beer." My answer is they don't want it as badly as I do. My life has changed from live to eat to eat to live. My focus has changed at lest I believe it has. But now I have to go fix my salmon and salad for dinner, and look at my new jeans that are size 36 instead of size 42. and I don't have to suck in my stomach to get them on.
Old 09-14-13, 09:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEW21
No secrets. In fact there is a cornucopia of specific info on the web that the truly focused and passionate can use. What the OP is doing is standard protocol for a wide variety of athletes, from body builders to fitness competitors to XXXX. But the two prerequisites are Passionate Want To and to understand this is a Permanent Life Change, not a diet.
Old 09-14-13, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
No secrets. In fact there is a cornucopia of specific info on the web that the truly focused and passionate can use. What the OP is doing is standard protocol for a wide variety of athletes, from body builders to fitness competitors to XXXX. But the two prerequisites are Passionate Want To and to understand this is a Permanent Life Change, not a diet.
So true, In Joe Friel's Book "Cycling past 50" he alludes to much the same thing. With a brief non to how athletes ate and trained in the 40s. John Howard's book says some of the same things. But I needed more help and had to have someone show me the way. Much like a smoker I had to want a change more than I wanted my habit. To tell the truth it is a bit of a self promoting desire. The healthier I get the better cyclist I fell I become. The better cyclist I become the more I want better health.
Old 09-15-13, 09:19 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
No bread, no starchy foods, and no high sugar fruit like Bananas.
Usually when I hear things like "nutrition coach," I have to brace myself for the usual "Avoid red meat and fatty foods, eat plenty of whole grains and fruits (like apples and bananas)." It's refreshing that things are finally changing.

By coincidence, I recently had a similar experience reading this post on Joe Friel's blog.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

44 pounds -- like carrying four bowling balls with you on your bike.
Old 09-15-13, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm, I still ate breads, starchy foods, and bananas and lost 110 lbs. Everyone is different
Old 09-15-13, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feels good doesn't it? I am now down 30lbs, had a great 23mile group ride Saturday, and I kept with the pack.

I am trying to get down to 195,(at 210 now), I know the more weight I lose the easier the rides will become.

I am now following a Paleo diet, found some great info through The Paleo Blueprint.

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-15-13, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Usually when I hear things like "nutrition coach," I have to brace myself for the usual "Avoid red meat and fatty foods, eat plenty of whole grains and fruits (like apples and bananas)." It's refreshing that things are finally changing.

By coincidence, I recently had a similar experience reading this post on Joe Friel's blog.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

44 pounds -- like carrying four bowling balls with you on your bike.
In truth Friel did confirm much of what both my doctor and coach were saying. It often comes down to you can lose weight on just about any diet but what happens when you reach you goal? Do we realize what we were doing that got us to need a diet in the first place? With a life change approach the food is not the goal. I don't cycle so I can eat whatever I want. Now I eat to support my lifestyle and that includes better cycling.

rgwinn

Feels good doesn't it? I am now down 30lbs, had a great 23mile group ride Saturday, and I kept with the pack.

I am trying to get down to 195,(at 210 now), I know the more weight I lose the easier the rides will become.

I am now following a Paleo diet, found some great info through The Paleo Blueprint.

Keep up the good work!

For me carbs are not the enemy but they are the culprit that slows my metabolism. As Bikey Mikey said we all may be different but it took someone else looking at my diet to see what might work for me. My diet now is only a step. Paleo might have worked as well and may have returned similar results. But as my doctor kept telling me this stage was simply delayed gratification. Once the weight was off we can start building a healthier me. Because before anything else I had to write down my goals and tell them what I wanted.

I didn't post this to recommend a diet or to tell people to do things the way I did them. I posted it to say those of us over 50, in my case well over 50, are not through improving, we are not doomed to slowly fade away. If we want it bad enough we can do better. Yes I admire those that have always lived the kind of life that makes cycling an ideal activity. But I admire them enough to try and be more like them and not just shrug my shoulders and say, this is my lot in life I will just make the best of it. Like I said in my first post on the other thread, I discovered it was time to make a change and I believe that change has taken place even before I reach the goal.
Old 09-15-13, 04:46 PM
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not here to argue with you, but be careful, there is a reason why cavemen ate that way (paelo diet) and died at a young age.
Old 09-15-13, 05:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
Not here to argue with you, but be careful, there is a reason why cavemen ate that way (paelo diet) and died at a young age.
Yep, made them tasty meals for the sabre tooth cats.
Old 09-15-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
Well, I do enjoy coffee. ;-)

I know that there is arguments for every style of eating.

To add to my story, I was on medicine for Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, and Gout, I had a high fasting glucose, low vitamin D, and B. My Doc told me I was pre-diabetic with hypertension.

Sooo, after changing my eating habits, and prioritizing exercise, I am now (4 months later) off all of my prescription medicine.

I do take supplements twice a day, and I am avoiding gluten, dairy and red meat. I am also lactose intolerant.

And yes our Paleo ancestors did die younger, but I doubt it was from their diet.

There is too much evidence of people well into their 80s eating clean i.e. Paleo or similar, and in very good health. Of course, there is a lot of evidence of adults with onset Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Problems, and other chronic health problems.

And I agree, not promoting this for others, just providing info on what has worked for me.
Old 09-15-13, 06:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

I have been told to train or exercise in zone 2 or 3 and try to stay out of zone 4. In other words stay in the aerobic zone and stay out of the anaerobic zone as much as possible.

Once I have reached my goal weight then the coach will slowly add foods back till we find what the best meals are for my body type and metabolism.
Congratulations on your work in progress, it is inspiring.

I assume by training in exercise zones, that you monitor your heart rate? I was wondering that as you've seen your weight drop and stamina improve, if there has been a noticeable difference in your resting heart rate? Since there's less of you to move around it would seem that resting heart rate would drop as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.