Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What to focus on next? Century rides are easy for me

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have done three centuries in the past month, did a 102, 104, and today was 100. They are starting to become easy for me to do. I am not sore after riding, I don't get hungry or thirsty. My average speed is 17mph. Been riding serious since this April only, I am 17. Season is basically done by next month, but next year to i want to find a team to race with. I dont know where to train more in now that my endurance is feeling pretty good.

i imagine there aren't going to be 100 mile road races near me, but i may be wrong. How do you maintain endurance during winter months on the trainer? i cant imagine doing 6 hours+ indoors, stationary...ahh

what would you suggest i work on?
Old 09-14-13, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Unless you are spinning out on top gear you could always go faster.
Also, in preparation for racing you don't want to do only long steady efforts, but you should mix some interval training in where you go all out for a short period of time and then rest shortly before going again. There is a sticky in the racing forum with more details: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ut-recipe-book
Old 09-14-13, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
Unless you are spinning out on top gear you could always go faster.
Also, in preparation for racing you don't want to do only long steady efforts, but you should mix some interval training in where you go all out for a short period of time and then rest shortly before going again. There is a sticky in the racing forum with more details: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ut-recipe-book
Will these 80+ mile Saturday long rides still be beneficial though right? I do hill repeats and also a steady 1.5-2hr ride once a week. maybe i should add another hill day to build strength?
Old 09-14-13, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by hambertloot
Will these 80+ mile Saturday long rides still be beneficial though right? I do hill repeats and also a steady 1.5-2hr ride once a week. maybe i should add another hill day to build strength?
The long ride will still help you. But when you start out racing most races will be about 10-20 miles and will be decided by your ability to go hard up hills and recover afterwards. How do the hill repeats look like, what power/heart rate zone are you in and for what duration?
Old 09-14-13, 07:17 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Check out some long distance events. Have a look at the rides on my Links page: https://www.machka.net/links.htm

And go browse in the Long Distance forum here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...urance-Cycling
Old 09-14-13, 07:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Start doing fast group rides. If it's too easy, just go up front. It will get much harder.

After your kicking everyone's ass, go race?
Old 09-15-13, 06:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The long ride will still help you. But when you start out racing most races will be about 10-20 miles and will be decided by your ability to go hard up hills and recover afterwards. How do the hill repeats look like, what power/heart rate zone are you in and for what duration?
There are two hills I really like to do. there is one where the avg. grade is 4.2% for 1.8mi but there are some 8-10% slopes mixed in. I am in my 175-180HR for about 9-10minutes, i dont know the power.

the other is 1.4mi at 4.8% grade. starts with a 13-14% steep climb and averages out. i like doing repeats on either or a few times. about 170BPM and 8 minutes - 8.5 minutes

my HR for sustained climbing effots is low 170s and for faster work is 175-180

also a 28.2% avg. grade for .2mi which is fun to do for anaerobic stuff

Last edited by hambertloot; 09-15-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and i am not so sure about focusing on ultra cycling. maybe I will do a few 120-200 mile races next year, but couldnt imagine doing 24 hr / 400mi rides that seems really intense, atleast at this point in my cycling! I have been riding only for 1.5 years, seriously training for 5 months
Old 09-15-13, 06:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, my weekly mileage is around 220mpw. its hard to do my 300mpw+ like i did in summer with school now. i have to add in some more running because i signed up for a half marathon next month and there are no refunds, but after that it is only going to be cycling. joining a team hopefully soon as well
Old 09-15-13, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by hambertloot
There are two hills I really like to do. there is one where the avg. grade is 4.2% for 1.8mi but there are some 8-10% slopes mixed in. I am in my 175-180HR for about 9-10minutes, i dont know the power.

the other is 1.4mi at 4.8% grade. starts with a 13-14% steep climb and averages out. i like doing repeats on either or a few times. about 170BPM and 8 minutes - 8.5 minutes

my HR for sustained climbing effots is low 170s and for faster work is 175-180

also a 28.2% avg. grade for .2mi which is fun to do for anaerobic stuff
Have a look at the interval training page I linked to (the VO2Max and Anaerobic sections). What you are missing are all out efforts in the 30s-2m range that raise your HR even higher. All out efforts for 8.5 minutes start to come in the aerobic zone and are good to increase your sustained long term power.

Whooo, 28.2%? Do you use ropes to climb that?

Last edited by mr_pedro; 09-15-13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at the interval training page I linked to (the VO2Max and Anaerobic sections). What you are missing are all out efforts in the 30s-2m range that raise your HR even higher. All out efforts for 8.5 minutes start to come in the aerobic zone and are good to increase your sustained long term power.

Whooo, 28.2%? Do you use ropes to climb that?
oh alright, thats what i need then. i cannot sprint at all, and my friends know that and rag on my for it. But i get them on the climbs every single time, i have to wait for them

i use my 30x26 for that!
Old 09-15-13, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Race. Short fast races are significantly more difficult for me than a 5 hour century.
Old 09-15-13, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the Junior's Racing forum here. You can find all sorts of tips on training and finding a team to ride with.

Forum Guidelines *click here*