Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

older litespeed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Trek mountain bike, Centurion road bike, Trek single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
older litespeed

I am looking at buying an older litespeed, any suggestions on checking the frame before buying. I don't want to get something that's not repairable if there is a problem.
Old 09-23-13, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
My feeling is that you need to do a very careful inspection just like with any other used bike. You can't easily have the frame inspected for alignment, so you have to visually check everything. Is everything straight and true? Any scuff marks anywhere, dents, scratches, scrapes? How does it ride? That said, I would check around all welds very carefully for cracks, especially the bottom bracket, and look for any evidence of a frontal hit, such as wrinkled top/down tubes or fork damage. The bike should be clean so you can see, and use good lighting.

As to repairability, it probably depends on whether anyone in your area can do ti repairs. Even something seemingly simple might be difficult if no one around knows how to do it and has the equipment. Otherwise, I have no idea how hard it is to repair ti problems.
Old 09-25-13, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are looking for a Litespeed Mtn bike, do note that the first generation Litespeed Mtn bike uses 1" headset. The suspension forks is hard to come by. Later generations uses 1 1/8 headset. It is easier to get forks in this size.