Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need help buying a new bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-22-13, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Trek 720 that is 20 years old. I ride 10 mile routes, mostly road, sometimes crushed limestone (rails to trails). I love my bike but my daughter needs a new one. Since she is still growing (she's my height 5'0 now but expected to grow to 5'6), I don't want to buy her a new one which she will outgrow so I'm contemplating giving her my 720 and buying a new one for me. I've been looking on Craigslist to find an inexpensive option for her and couldn't find one.

At my LBS today, they showed me a Trek Verve and I forgot the other model Trek. One was $440 and the other was $550. They had a man's frame and a woman's frame to choose from. My current one is a man's frame. I liked that the handles were closer on the 16 inch woman's frame than the 15 inch men's frame but there wasn't a spot to put my water bottle. I asked how they compared to my current bike and the guy told me what I have is junk since it's so old. He didn't actually see the bike. This is the same bike shop where I bought it and have had it maintained so I was a bit turned off by his comment.

I'm in Chicagoland and there are a ton of bike shops around if someone can recommend what I should get.
Old 09-22-13, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I have a 1995 Trek 730 and it has higher level components than the 2007 Trek 7.2 FX that I owned so yours is hardly junk and I would be very offput if an LBS employee said something like that to me.

The Trek FX series is what the Multitracks (700,720,730,750,790) evolved into. The lower level FX bikes are very similar to the multitracks except they have aluminum frames instead of steel. My experience was that the steel framed multitracks are more comfortable but the aluminum FX felt "sportier" due to the oversized (ie, stiffer) aluminum tubes. The higher level FX bikes begin to move toward road bike quality in their carbon frames and high-end components. If the 720 suits your riding style then the FX series would be a good choice to investigate. Every major bike brand has this type of bike so don't limit yourself to Trek. Test ride others and buy that one that feels that best and is in your budget.
Old 09-22-13, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it sounds like if I spend in the $500-$600 range I'm not really getting better than what I have? I guess I will just need to keep checking out craigslist for a used one for my daughter. Was the guy correct that a bike for a 5'0 (15 or 16) will not fit her if she grows to 5'6?
Old 09-23-13, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by r1234567
So it sounds like if I spend in the $500-$600 range I'm not really getting better than what I have? I guess I will just need to keep checking out craigslist for a used one for my daughter. Was the guy correct that a bike for a 5'0 (15 or 16) will not fit her if she grows to 5'6?

I think some people would prefer the 720 and some would prefer the FX models so which one is better is pretty subjective but I suspect most would choose the FX because they are a more refined bicycle with their trigger shifters and V-brakes. I prefer a steel frame but I also prefer modern trigger shifters and V-brakes over the old twist shifters and traditional cantilevers (what the Multitracks have). I will just say your 720 doesn't need replaced just because it's old but if you like spirited bike rides, you'll probably prefer the newer FX. You just have to decide if it's worth it or not

I'm no expert on fit but a 6" height difference is considerable, especially if your daughter is more than a very casual rider. I'm guessing that a bike that fits her now won't be too comfortable if she adds 6" in height.

Last edited by corwin1968; 09-23-13 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 09:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would let my daughter "borrow" the 720. Meanwhile, I'd get a new single speed for myself, in flat Chicagoland. The Felt Brougham is really nice.
Old 09-26-13, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
.............. the guy told me what I have is junk since it's so old................

of course he said that, he's trying to sell you a new one.

$500-$600 buy new online

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...venture_x5.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rty_fb-xiv.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...alaxy_tour.htm
Old 10-01-13, 08:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one? This is for a kid who is 11 who is still growing:

Elle Adventure - A Dual Sport / Adventure hybrid is for riders that want to be fast on the road with Dual tread tires capable of spirited off-road excursions and everything in between. Suspension forks tame terrain. Some models have lock out forks for better road efficiency. The saddle position gives a bit more comfort than the Cafe/Fitness.

Eclipse City - A Hybrid Bike is like a Comfort bike but uses smoother, faster rolling, more efficient 700c wheels instead of 26". More stability, wider tires, mid-travel suspension forks and some with suspension seatposts smoothen bike path bumps and offer an upright comfortable saddle position. Get this one for more stability, highest comfort and some speed on bike paths.

Old 10-02-13, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which one? This is for a kid who is 11 who is still growing:
I actually like all 3. they are all categorized as hybrids.

the moto is probably better for off road and trails due to the fork (which is able to "lockout"). this one is also heavier due to the fork.

the merc is best designed for pavement riding and would probably be my personal choice.

Your daughter is only 11 so this will not be her last bike she ever buys (I hope). I would show her the 3 of those or any others on the site and see what she wants.

If you were asking which one as in what size to get her, thats a whole other ball of wax. I will say frame size is loosely based on height and reach. eg. im 5'10 and ride a 55cm. a 6 footer is probably around 58-60cm.

gluck
Old 10-03-13, 12:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you have much cash to spare, I would suggest buying a used bike from a reputable LBS for a growing child. Your next best option IMO would be to go to Performance.com.
Old 10-03-13, 01:47 AM
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
yeah, I'd be trolling garage sales, too. even if you don't see bikes, ask, sometimes bikes will materialize that they forgot to put out.

you're talking about giving your current bike to her, what size is it? is it even remotely suitable for a 5'0" 11 year old?

my daughter is now 18, she's about 5'6, she's all legs, too. she rides with her seat at the same height I do, and I'm 6' tall.

she's riding a older small aluminum frame road-bike Trek that has riser hybrid bars, and a long seat post, and she likes it alot. it has 700x25c road tires (currently Continental Ultra Gatorbacks), and zooms quite nicely. we paid $100 for this bike a few years ago from a local used bike store.