Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Uh-oh. Ebay sale, possible signs of trouble. :- (

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-25-13, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
I'm glad you mentioned this, back in the day when parts were missing they'd be under the bottom flaps 9/10 times.
I'm going with this too. I'll wager they're there, if he hasn't tossed out the box yet.
Old 09-25-13, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al

I'd removed the cables and tucked the cable housings up neatly. The adjuster bolts were not loose and I don't see any way they would have backed out by themselves. Especially not both. (

Maybe he bought the bike just to get a free pair of rare adjusters.

Last edited by rootboy; 09-25-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 03:11 PM
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Please supply me with your eBay ID so I can permanently block you.
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Dude I have delivered stuff miles away for free on Ebay. I have never sold anything that was not exactly as described. I have sold stuff with no reserve, and instead of cancelling the auction when I realized it wasn't gonna hit a reasonable number like so many seem to do these days, I kept up my end of the bargain. I don't sell anything on Ebay anymore, because it is too easy to get screwed by the unscrupulous. Paypal will reach into your bank account and take out money with no notice. Eff that noise. Think of me what you will.

This is why I don't deal with eBay anymore. I used to sell race car parts all the time and I gave full disclosure on parts. I sold a cover for a center console and took pictures of the slight crack in the corner and everything, posted in the ad, and the buyer refuted the PayPal charge PLUS some extra to "cover the cost of a new one" and I was out about $50 on top of losing the money for it that part originally. Never gave negative feedback on eBay, never responded to my emails, just took MY money. That was the last time I sold on eBay.

OP, do your best to reasonably make it right, but I would be aware of them pulling money back through PayPal. I have seen it several times before with friends that sold legitimate parts only to lose all the money because the buyer was bogus and made claims that PayPal never looked into. A few went to court because it was large sums of money. Good luck as it seems you're a stand up person and want to do right to your customers.
Old 09-25-13, 03:59 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I paid a bike shop to take a bike apart and pack it for shipping. I sent the bike off to the buyer. The buyer quickly told me a part was missing. I checked with the bike shop, and they told me that part is laying on their table and they will ship it out tomorrow. Everybody was satisfied.

I would replace the parts that the buyer said is missing. Then in all future sales, take pictures of what is in the package, and check. You can't do any more than that..

I hope this has a happy ending..
Old 09-25-13, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Following up: from the kindness of a local C&Ver I have one adjuster already and am hoping for another to turn up. There's a pair of Royal Gran Compe calipers on eBay ending Saturday that I might have to buy. And a kind C&Ver has messaged me to say that he has the brake bolt cover/nut that was missing off the front brake. He offered it to send it to me, to send to the buyer as a kind of compensation for the adjuster problem. That is a terrific idea and I'm jumping on it. It bugged me to sell the bike with that one tiny non-important part missing, anyway.

Last communication from the buyer is a picture of the bike built up. I think he really does like it and wants it to be complete, as he should. But even if he intends to part it out, I'm doing right by him.

BTW all parts removed were safely stowed in a padded envelope and a small box, both taped to the inside of the main box, with photos taken. I just didn't think about these two tiny parts coming loose, or of course I would have secured them too.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-26-13, 12:17 AM

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Without the brake cable in place, or some other measure taken, they're not secured. When I went looking into my bin for my Campagnolo brakes yesterday to compare, I hadn't secured the adjusters myself and I had to rummage around in the bottom for them.

I'm glad to see your change of heart in regards to the tone of the buyer. Those really are required, and stating such in asking you about them isn't nonsense.
Old 09-26-13, 02:57 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Glad to see this is going to be a "happy ending for everybody" kind of thing.. Not only that, I think it was a nice learning story/episode/incident for all of us..
Old 10-05-13, 06:59 AM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

This really does have a happy ending. Local C&Vers b dub and Night Tiger each gave me an adjuster; one was probably from an 80s Shimano 600 brake but was shaped identically, slightly different color to the metal. I sent them to the buyer and he is very happy with them as replacements...the Shimano (?) one actually looks maybe a little better with the bronze brake body.

Buyer left me very nice feedback on eBay and I did the same with him. Once he realized that this was an honest mistake on my part and that I'd make good on it, and I realized that it was in fact my mistake, any bad feelings disappeared.

In fact the buyer texted me pictures as he put the bike back together, and I realized that he really was enthusiastic about it, definitely not just 'in it for the parts.' But I didn't understand the extent of his enthusiasm till he sent this one, posted with his permission:

He's a Turbo collector! Possibly THE Turbo collector! He's evidently a man obsessed, and a complete nutjob.

So, naturally, I invited him to join this forum. I don't know if he will, but if so I think he'll find it a congenial place.

I'm not only happy with the ending of this sale, I'm very happy he got the Turbo, as he was the perfect buyer for it. If anything he appreciates it more than me.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 10-05-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 07:10 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wow, cool - nice that this had a good ending. Recently, I've had a few issues and am currently dealing with a seller who left positive feedback with negative comments. All because he didn't take care in packaging for shipment; after the last few issues where the sellers hemmed and hawed, I simply gave negative without going through the rigamarole. His answer was to blast me.

Funnily enough, after I sent him a message explaining why I did what I did, he responded with the typical BS: had really good feedback, so I must be in the wrong. Guess I made the right call after all

I hope your contact joins the Forum - there are worse places to hang out, after all. And it looks like he'll fit right in! He and Robbie can compare notes...

DD
Old 10-05-13, 07:12 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Congratulations! I guess the Turbo fan is going for a full house if not four-of-a-kind!
Old 10-05-13, 10:10 AM
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts

I love happy endings! I'm glad it all worked out.
Old 10-05-13, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
He's evidently a man obsessed, and a complete nutjob.

So, naturally, I invited him to join this forum. I don't know if he will, but if so I think he'll find it a congenial place.

I'm not only happy with the ending of this sale, I'm very happy he got the Turbo, as he was the perfect buyer for it. If anything he appreciates it more than me.
What kind of a nutjob has 3 of the same bike?
Old 10-05-13, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by longbeachgary
What kind of a nutjob has 3 of the same bike?
Indeed! Or even three bikes of any kind? Is he some sort of human octopod (eksapod actually), capable of piloting three of these velocipedes at once? I think not!

Surely we can agree that one bicycle is enough for any man, and the apparent 'need' for more a sign of madness.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 10-05-13, 02:45 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I think he may have 4 Turbos.
Just a hunch.
Old 10-05-13, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I think he may have 4 Turbos.
Just a hunch.
Does that mean I have to go out and get another caad10?