Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New bike day = new PR day!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 09:03 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Upgraded from the base model Specialized Allez, to a fairly high end Specialized Tarmac today! I immediately jumped on Strava from ~155th place on one segment to 28th place!

I think part of it is I'm a pretty good anerobic sprinter, and it's usually right in the middle of my commute but this time the start was just up the street from the bike shop, so I was super fresh. I think if I get to head straight through the traffic light and I have some speed already I can easily break the front page for the segment, especially since it's going to take a day or so to get used to the new shifters. I might even break the top 10.

I've been hanging out around 180lbs for a while, but when I started I was a little over base Clyde level. On the other hand, y'all are a lot cooler than the 41, and I feel like you never really stop being a Clyde, you're just on a break from it, and if you don't keep your focus you could fall back into it any time. So I refuse to leave you guys and gals, just know I'm here hoping to catch up with some of you faster riders, and I'm pulling for everyone who wants to be better!! Maybe along the way I'll dethrone a KOM, that would be weird.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post pictures, but I just added like 4 lb of lights to it, so I don't quite want to post them tonight before I commute to work on the new fast bike. Have some speed comparison's to make on the distance. :-)
Old 10-03-13, 09:18 PM
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pics! Pics! PICS!!!
Old 10-03-13, 10:54 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBlader
I feel like you never really stop being a Clyde, you're just on a break from it, and if you don't keep your focus you could fall back into it any time.
Yes, pics... and details!

It would be interesting to hear your impressions of allez vs tarmac since I believe they're the same geometry. Same wheels too?

Totally agree with your thoughts on never really not being a clyde...
Old 10-09-13, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Finally got off my bike and took a picture!

It's probably considered ridiculously expensive, all carbon, with Di2 shifters and Dura-Ace components. But I figure after making my goal ride this year with the base model bike, being committed to riding going forward, and having some options to sell from the previous company, I could justify spending more than my first car on a bike that's going to last several years. Just speaking about the servo power shifters though, "It's so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking on up." --Ferris Bueller

With pedals and cages, without GoPro, saddle bag, and water, it was right on 14 lbs.

As far as the geometry between the Allez and the Tarmac goes, they feel very similar, I haven't been fit on this one yet but when I picked it up the seat was a good 2.5 inches farther back than on the Allez, making the reach really really out there, so I moved it as far forward as it would go, leaving it still 0.5 inches back from the Allez, but also getting it into the realm of comfortability. The transition between the two has been really easy, other than the twitchyness of the ultralight Tarmac. I feel like the wheels and stiffness make my acceleration actually mean something.

One other difference, I added a triple to my Allez so I had a granny gear that made breathing while climbing possible at all. I went on the same climb over the last weekend on the Tarmac and the weight difference made up for the difference in gearing, even while I had the NiteRider 1800 attached to the Tarmac, adding several pounds.

Totally worth the price, although I'm debating the attention it draws... and whether I should care if people think I'm worthy of such a bad-assed piece of equipment.
Old 10-09-13, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBlader
and whether I should care if people think I'm worthy of such a bad-assed piece of equipment.
Ít matters only what you think and I'm sure you're just as bad-assed.
Old 10-09-13, 12:08 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
certainly looks like an awesome bike... enjoy the heck out of it man... as long as you do I can see it certainly being worth the $$$
Old 10-09-13, 12:14 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
awesome machine!! That's one hell of an upgrade and proper too!! I wouldn't give a care what others think, just ride it and enjoy it.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-09-13, 12:20 PM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good on the new bike, the PR and the weight loss. I feel kinda like you too. I like to post in the C&A forum even if I'm not a clyde anymore. Went from 219 july 23rd 2012 to 179 Today. Love this sport / hobby. I can't see the pic of the bike because the browser at work sucks but by what I read it must be one beautiful piece of machinery... S WORKS!! I assume..