Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Dead- No Car Involved

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 04:14 PM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Northbrook man dies after fall from bicycle entangled with dog leash
Dog owner left scene; police seeking witnesses
October 05, 2013|By Alexandra Chachkevitch, Chicago Tribune reporter

LINK:

https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...cle-northbrook

Comment: Dogs on leashes always made me nervous. From now on I will be extra cautious. Condolences to the family.
Old 10-06-13, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
One of the reasons I am hesitant about riding on MUPs is people walking dogs on leases. When I do ride them I end up riding <10 mph and slowing to 2-3 when creeping by dogs and owners.
Old 10-06-13, 04:34 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Had a near entanglement earlier this week riding down the street. Old guy with a small dog on one of those reel leashes was walking across his yard toward the road. He looked right at me and walked into the road just ahead of me letting his dog run into the middle of the street. I had to go to the far shoulder to keep from hitting the dog and getting tangled up in it's leash. As I went by he smiled, waved and said "Hello", totally clueless as to what almost happened.
Old 10-06-13, 04:40 PM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
One of the reasons I am hesitant about riding on MUPs is people walking dogs on leases. When I do ride them I end up riding <10 mph and slowing to 2-3 when creeping by dogs and owners.
Exactly what I think. It may be safer to ride in the roads. I don't think we could get them to refrain from walking their dogs, it is a "Multiple Use" path, and their tax dollars went into building it, as well as ours.

If I ride by in a Velomobile at 35 mph, I wonder what would happen, the leash might slide off, with nothing to catch onto?
Old 10-06-13, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Had a near entanglement earlier this week riding down the street. Old guy with a small dog on one of those reel leashes was walking across his yard toward the road. He looked right at me and walked into the road just ahead of me letting his dog run into the middle of the street. I had to go to the far shoulder to keep from hitting the dog and getting tangled up in it's leash. As I went by he smiled, waved and said "Hello", totally clueless as to what almost happened.
I don't know what people think. Do they realize that bicycles can move quickly? Do they realize that motorists want bicycles to move faster, and we are trying to comply with that request?
Old 10-06-13, 06:38 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People DON'T think, too much effort -- PLUS, they might discover their insular little world of "I'm a nice person, I don't mean any harm to anyone, I can do whatever I want" ISN'T so nice.... In fact, it MIGHT resemble something anal.
Old 10-06-13, 06:56 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
People DON'T think, too much effort -- PLUS, they might discover their insular little world of "I'm a nice person, I don't mean any harm to anyone, I can do whatever I want" ISN'T so nice.... In fact, it MIGHT resemble something anal.
I had a similar close call this afternoon, though with a human being. I was riding on the bike lane when this woman, with earbuds buried in her ears, jaywalked (or jay-ran) across the street and right into my path. She was obviously only paying attention to the vehicular traffic. I noticed her early enough to be able to stop, and she just carried on as if she'd caused no trouble...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-06-13, 07:53 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotbike
Northbrook man dies after fall from bicycle entangled with dog leash
Dog owner left scene; police seeking witnesses
October 05, 2013|By Alexandra Chachkevitch, Chicago Tribune reporter

LINK:

https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...cle-northbrook

Comment: Dogs on leashes always made me nervous. From now on I will be extra cautious. Condolences to the family.
Condolences to the family. Dogs don't make me nervous.
Old 10-07-13, 03:48 AM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope they catch this dog owner. Instead of staying on the scene, they now open themselves up to a world of trouble by doing the wrong thing.

Also, condolences to a bike rider who enjoyed the outdoors and riding.
Old 10-07-13, 05:08 AM

This is probably a subject for a new thread but, is it just me or do people seem to be a LOT more clueless than they were 10-15 years ago? In the short time I've been back into regular cycling it seems I've had far more incidents than I did when I rode on a regular basis just a few years ago. I don't think it's because I'm anymore aware as I had been a long time motorcycle rider as well and rode VERY defensively and I'm the same way in my car. Cars, pedestrians, and even other "people on bicycles" just seem to be wandering around in their own self absorbed little bubbles. The only group I have not had an issue with are motorcycle riders and believe me I encounter enough of them that statistically I would have thought I would have had at least one close call. Heck, I've even had a couple of them give me the motorcyclist's "low five" off the end of the handlebars secret handshake and a head nod as they went by.
Old 10-07-13, 05:08 AM

Bikes: 1989 TREK 400, Suntour accushift drivetrain. 80's Raleigh mtb all Suntour.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, they don't...

I don't know what people think. Do they realize that bicycles can move quickly? Do they realize that motorists want bicycles to move faster, and we are trying to comply with that request?

A couple of weeks ago, I was out for a ride when I spied a couple waiting to cross the street. There was a car in front of me going about twenty-five mph. My cyclecomputer read 32 mph. I was about 50 feet behind the car.

The couple waited for the car to pass, then they looked right at me and stepped out in front of me.

I nearly crashed.

I guess they stepped out because "it's only a bicycle".

I obey all traffic laws to a T, and I average 2 near misses on every ride, whether dealing with cars or pedestrians who break the law, or even cyclists who are on the wrong side of the road(in the rain at night with no lights, etc).

I wish all the ignorant scum were either educated or rotting in jail for endangering my life.

I wish I didn't feel that way, but the op's dog story set me off. I deal with it all the time.
Old 10-07-13, 05:10 AM

Bikes: 1989 TREK 400, Suntour accushift drivetrain. 80's Raleigh mtb all Suntour.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is probably a subject for a new thread but, is it just me or do people seem to be a LOT more clueless than they were 10-15 years ago? In the short time I've been back into regular cycling it seems I've had far more incidents than I did when I rode on a regular basis just a few years ago. I don't think it's because I'm anymore aware as I had been a long time motorcycle rider as well and rode VERY defensively and I'm the same way in my car. Cars, pedestrians, and even other "people on bicycles" just seem to be wandering around in their own self absorbed little bubbles. The only group I have not had an issue with are motorcycle riders and believe me I encounter enough of them that statistically I would have thought I would have had at least one close call. Heck, I've even had a couple of them give me the motorcyclist's "low five" off the end of the handlebars secret handshake and a head nod as they went by.
I agree.
Old 10-07-13, 06:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave42
This happens ALL the time in Manhattan. I rarely ever get up to 30 mph in the city. And when I do I am way too wary to even enjoy > 30 mph.

As per dogs - never had a problem as most owners here have mini dogs like myself. And know that a rumbling bike would flatten my little poochie-foo in no time.
Old 10-07-13, 06:18 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clueless? For sure.

I live in/around what's considered the 'rough part of town'; most of this town's 3 dozen homicides for the year happened within 3-4 miles of my house. You'd THINK being 'in the hood', folks would be more aware -- after all, that's the given reason youths and young adults forsake the sidewalk and walk in the street -- to avoid being jumped from behind a hedge. But I can roll up on them all day long, and I don't have a quiet freehub.
Old 10-07-13, 06:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jackin' some dude on a bike ain't worth it man. Unless he be rolling some nice BMX. If the dude has a punk -a$$ mini dog he's lookin' to be jacked real fast. Me, I take my pittie wit me all das time.

That said - I don't see too many folks $$$$ carbon bikes in nice areas. And I purposely make sure to avoid urban areas where I see a cluster of teens. If I do I take the lane.
Old 10-07-13, 07:14 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I had a similar close call this afternoon, though with a human being. I was riding on the bike lane when this woman, with earbuds buried in her ears, jaywalked (or jay-ran) across the street and right into my path. She was obviously only paying attention to the vehicular traffic. I noticed her early enough to be able to stop, and she just carried on as if she'd caused no trouble...
Airzound.
Old 10-07-13, 07:16 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I sometimes feel that way, but I think it's just because I'm getting old. Hey! You! Get off my lawn!

I agree with you on motorcycle (and I'll add scooter) riders...of all traffic users, they seem to be the best. There is one notable exception - the idiots on ATVs blazing through city streets at insane speeds. I've had a few problems with that crowd in car, on bike and as a ped.
Old 10-07-13, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
thanks for sharing. who knew an accident seemingly so innocuous could be fatal
Old 10-07-13, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
a 3-4 years ago a guy bike walking his dog cuased the death of a walker on a local MUP. She fell and hit her head after getting tangled in the leash between bike and dog.

too many people don't think things through, whether they are a pedestrian, driver, jogger, cyclist etc.

And MUPS are often one of the worst places to bike when busy

Old 10-07-13, 09:59 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I was out for a ride when I spied a couple waiting to cross the street. There was a car in front of me going about twenty-five mph. My cyclecomputer read 32 mph. I was about 50 feet behind the car.

The couple waited for the car to pass, then they looked right at me and stepped out in front of me.

I nearly crashed.

I obey all traffic laws to a T, and I average 2 near misses on every ride, whether dealing with cars or pedestrians who break the law, or even cyclists who are on the wrong side of the road(in the rain at night with no lights, etc).

I wish all the ignorant scum were either educated or rotting in jail for endangering my life.

I wish I didn't feel that way, but the op's dog story set me off. I deal with it all the time.
I hear you loud and clear, and you can make the same loud and clear to others... get an airzounds... then folks like dog walkers, dumb azz peds and the like will get your "notifications" right away.
Old 10-07-13, 10:34 AM
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exactly what I think. It may be safer to ride in the roads.
Occasionally, on my morning commute, I've encountered a jogger with his back to me running down the middle of the road with 2 dogs on reel leashes. Typically, the dogs are spread out so this guy is a running roadblock. Because he is plugged in, my bell just won't do it so I yell (which does not always work). I usually have to take to the sidewalk to put some parked cars between myself and him.

Sad about Mr. Bujak. I rarely ride MUPs because of the other occupants, but when I have, most dog owners will tighten up on the lease for me to pass - probably more for the dog's protection than mine.
Old 10-07-13, 11:24 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts

I nearly crashed.

...is it just me or do people seem to be a LOT more clueless than they were 10-15 years ago?
I agree, there are many clueless people.
Old 10-07-13, 11:55 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daihard
I have had a number of those situations recently. Not on a bike path. But while riding on the road. I would see them strolling across busy road during rush our. They may not have earbuds on, but they seem equally oblivious to the oncoming traffic, the speed, the size of the vehicle, and the room needed to stop a given vehicle at various speeds.

Some people will jay-walk because of necessity, as in no traffic light in the vicinity and/or no sidewalk/path to a bus stop. So the do deserve deference in those situations.
Old 10-07-13, 01:00 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I have had a number of those situations recently. Not on a bike path. But while riding on the road. I would see them strolling across busy road during rush our. They may not have earbuds on, but they seem equally oblivious to the oncoming traffic, the speed, the size of the vehicle, and the room needed to stop a given vehicle at various speeds.
Kinda glad I'm not the only one. BTW, the above incident happened to me on the road as well. I was on a bike lane between the carriageway and the curb.

Some people will jay-walk because of necessity, as in no traffic light in the vicinity and/or no sidewalk/path to a bus stop. So the do deserve deference in those situations.
In my case, jaywalking was unnecessary. There was a marked crossing with a traffic light about 50 yard from where she crossed the street. It's also worth noting that pedestrians can legally cross any intersection in WA since intersections considered crossings whether or not they are "marked." That gives pedestrians less excuse for jaywalking.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-07-13, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by genec
I hear you loud and clear, and you can make the same loud and clear to others... get an airzounds... then folks like dog walkers, dumb azz peds and the like will get your "notifications" right away.

I put an Airzounds on my beater bike because the plan is to use it for errands which will put me in higher traffic areas but the other night I had a near collision on my MTB with some little carpet ape on a BMX bike in our local cemetery of all places. He came flying out of a side lane and made a deliberate swerve toward me grinning like the Cheshire cat. I held my line and he swerved off at the next lane. I was wishing I had the Airzounds on that bike, if I had, his ears would still be ringing because his hollow little head was right even with my handlebars for about 50 feet. I put an electric horn on it yesterday but it's just too feeble and polite to give the desired affect, looks like I'll be ordering another Airzounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.