Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Replacing knobby tires to a smoother set

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 06:41 PM

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi Nyala

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shopping for new road friendly tires to put on my MTB that I use as a commuter. I like the Kenda K838, but I also like the Continental Comfort Contact and Sport Contact. Any recommendations on 26" road tires?
Old 10-06-13, 06:47 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Intense Micro Knobby. Michelin Country Dry rolls pavement pretty well, too, but if you want a more urban tire, look also at the Michelin City or the Michelin Country Rock. (Can you tell I like Mich's?)

Some actual 26" slicks:

Ritchey Tom Slick; Maxxis Xenith.

Look here: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/searc...20tx%2029%20do for good prices.
Old 10-06-13, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
conti cruise contact

or

schwalbe big apples

However, wife loves her new conti city ride 2 tires. Look great, too.
Old 10-06-13, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I like Specialized Nimbus. Been using them on my mountain bike since the early 2000's, when I started touring with it. Now I use them to commute.
Old 10-07-13, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I run Tioga city slickers. They are cheap and mine have last a long time. For 26's they come in 1.0 1.25 1.5 & 1.95. I run the 1.25's on my MTB.

https://www.tiogausa.com/city-slicker.html
Old 10-07-13, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I put Maxxis Holy Rollers (BMX style) on my kids and my MTBs a few years back and we really enjoyed them for around the campground and paved bike trail. It was a real step up for us from the knobbies. But for regular paved riding I would go smoother. Can't see as how it matters much, whatever you can get your hands on. you'll be replacing the bike before long anyway when you realize the smooth tires on a MTB still aren't fast enough and the gearing on a MTB isn't appropriate for road riding.
Old 10-07-13, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the budget minded I have the Panaracer High Road V City Tire on one bike ($11.00) and the Geax Street Runner ($20.00) on another and am quit pleased with both.
Old 10-07-13, 08:44 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
......you'll be replacing the bike before long anyway when you realize the smooth tires on a MTB still aren't fast enough and the gearing on a MTB isn't appropriate for road riding.
Fast enough for what?
I guess some people aren't aware that you can change gearing????

I've been pleased with these in 1.25"
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...et-runner-tire
Old 10-07-13, 08:45 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have Panaracer Paselas on my hybridized MTB. The standard version can be had for under $20 and the tourguard for about $5 more.
Old 10-07-13, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
good point Bill
Old 10-07-13, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Fast enough for what?
I'm as fast as or faster than most road bike commuters on an MTB with slicks. I really don't want to go any faster than I already do on crowded MUPs. Riding too fast starts getting a little dangerous. I get a better workout than the guy next to me on a road bike with skinny tires, which helps me meet one of my objectives...getting a great workout in the limited time available.
Old 10-07-13, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do want a road bike in the future, also need a new bike eventually since now I've become just slightly too tall for my current frame. But won't be able to buy one any time soon, so I'm just doing simple mods to improve this bike for the time being. I'm also pretty attached to this bike I have now; it was my first project bike (turned out way better than I expected) and replaced a beater hand-me-down MTB that I was using.
Old 10-07-13, 10:47 AM

Bikes: 1992 Dave Yates Diabolo MTB, Steel winter roadie upgraded to full 11 speed 105 and Hunt wheels. 2016 Giant Defy Advanced two with Hunt wheels.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to go off road occasionally, take a look at Conti Travelcontacts. I run 'em and love 'em .
Old 10-07-13, 11:07 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like the Kenda K838, but I also like the Continental Comfort Contact and Sport Contact
Good Plan , get what you like , you need endorsement for your shopping decisions?

Dont Obsess over specifics *, just get a smoother tread tire , ask at your LBS.

* the I got this so its projected to be just the the thing for you, syndrome, is rampant on BF.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-07-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 11:45 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Good Plan , get what you like , you need endorsement for your shopping decisions?

Dont Obsess over specifics *, just get a smoother tread tire , ask at your LBS.

* the I got this so its projected to be just the the thing for you, syndrome, is rampant on BF.
Just because the LBS might have the size and type tire you want, doesn't mean it'll have the tire that best suits your purpose.

I've bought relatively inexpensive 28mm tires from my shop with a "Flat Protection System" (Serfas Seca's) Only tire I've had flats with and it was multiple times.
I've bought these in 26mm at a similar price and been VERY pleased with them-
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...t-tire-folding

If someone is looking for a similar tire, I'm going to recommend them.
Ditto for the 26x1.25" I recommended in my previous post.

I try to support my LBS and buy a lot of stuff from them (first name basis) I could get on line, but pay a few $ extra to help keep them in business.
Tires (for me) just aren't one of the items I buy there.
Old 10-07-13, 12:05 PM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using the Nashbar Streetwise 1.5 with treadguard for extra flat protection and they wear very well. 2 years on them now (snow less part of the year)
Old 10-07-13, 05:34 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are expensive,but worth every penny. Excellent traction in the wet,smooth rolling,zero flats,reflective sidewalls. Big Apples are good for comfort if you don't have suspension. Vittoria Randonneurs as also good,and cheaper than the Supremes.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-07-13, 07:40 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got these $11 tires just to get my commuter rolling while trying to keep costs down. Everything is paid for and finally working great and new tires are in the budget. But, I haven't found any reason to replace the tires. As soon as they give me any trouble, they're gone. So far I've been surprised in a good way. I think I'm gonna try Michelin Wild Run 'R Light next.

Don't buy into any claims of "water dispersing channel grooves" or any nonsense like that. On a road bike tread does nothing except make the rider feel safe.

At least according to Michelin:
"The oval shape of a bicycle road tire contact patch permits effective water evacuation to help keep the tire from hydroplaning.The footprint of a 23mm tire (approx. 7 sq. cm) is so small that the bike would need to be traveling at about 120MPH in order to hydroplane.
Nevertheless, some road tire models are designed with specific tread structures – primarily for cosmetics or to comfort the consumer."

Best assortment of MTB commuter tires that I have found. Not that I endorse that site for purchase of any particular tire, there just happens to be quite a few in one spot to compare.
Old 10-07-13, 08:16 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I put Maxxis Holy Rollers (BMX style) on my kids and my MTBs a few years back and we really enjoyed them for around the campground and paved bike trail. It was a real step up for us from the knobbies. But for regular paved riding I would go smoother. Can't see as how it matters much, whatever you can get your hands on. you'll be replacing the bike before long anyway when you realize the smooth tires on a MTB still aren't fast enough and the gearing on a MTB isn't appropriate for road riding.
As if your riding experience is the standard -- I've been commuting/utility riding on MTB for 15 years now, no desire or need to go to a roadie/touring/whatever bike. Keep the assumptions private, as in within your own cranium.
Old 10-08-13, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Good Plan , get what you like , you need endorsement for your shopping decisions?.
Not looking for endorsement, jut recommendations. I'm just now getting into commuting and I've never used anything other than knobbies up to this point, so I just want a better feel for what's out there.
Old 10-08-13, 10:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Go visit your Local Bike Shop , where you can hold them in your hands and feel & see the differences
between a $20 and a $60 tire.
Old 10-08-13, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to throw another option out there.... I recently went through this decision, and ended up with the Schwalbe Kojaks. Bike is a heavily modded 2001 Gary Fisher Solstice (hybrid). Great tire, IMO...after about 5 months of daily use (kids to school, exercise/grocery getting/fun). Would buy them again.

I've had the Geaux option/brand mentioned above on another MTB 'conversion'. Not bad. Same for Kenda. Splurged a bit and went with Michelin City tires (couple years ago). Nice tires, grippy, bullet proof, but heavy.

Splurged again and went with the Kojaks (and put barely worn City slicks on our MTB style tandem), as the Kojaks were reviewed to be lighter (they are) and grippy (definitely grippy), and less harsh (cushy even) than the City tires. I always keep/kept my tires around 50-70 psi to avoid pinch flats (a small Clyde I am).

FWIW, I've somehow managed to have 'No Flat Pixie Dust' coming from my tire pumps most of my riding career....with all sorts of tires/tubes combinations.....I just don't have the flats and leaks or issues that some seem to have...(hurriedly finding a piece of wood to knock on). So, while I read about all the flat protection stuff...it's not been a big consideration for me (but I do carry pump and patches).

As mentioned, go visit LBS if you have one that has a big selection...you can definitely see/feel the difference in the Kenda tires ($), to the Michelins ($$), and then the Schwalbes ($$+).

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-13, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kenda Kwick Trax have never done me wrong, and I've got 4000 miles on my set. Tread's a little absent in the center so they could probably use replacing, but for $17 a tire at the LBS I think they're a great value.
Old 10-08-13, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That's funny, so grooves aren't necessary other than to make the customer feel better? But making the contact patch smaller (with grooves) actually makes them a little less functional no? Ironic?

Like Apple having to make the "random play mode" less random on the ipod because people think the same song coming up twice in a row isn't "random".........
Old 10-09-13, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are expensive,but worth every penny. Excellent traction in the wet,smooth rolling,zero flats,reflective sidewalls. Big Apples are good for comfort if you don't have suspension. Vittoria Randonneurs as also good,and cheaper than the Supremes.
+1 on Schwalbe. I use an older Marathon that takes 100 psi and have been happy with that. Not as expensive as the Supreme. The Green Guard would be the closest to that now. I'm going to replace them (probably with the G.G.) in the spring when I switch back from the studded Marathon Winters I run during ice season.

Last edited by hilltowner; 10-09-13 at 09:39 PM.