Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommend a backpack for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recommend a backpack for commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 07:58 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on panniers.

If, however, you insist on backpack, I was going to suggest a suitably sized Deuter. I see you went that way already. We have one of their middle range backpacks (maybe 40-50L of volume (1)) and the frame does a reasonably good job keeping the bag off your skin and providing space for ventilation. It seems the frame is not used in their smaller backpacks, at least not in the models we saw here.

(1) As a side note, has anyone else noticed the hiking bag capacity claims are ridiculously inflated? I was in search for a large hip pack and saw an Osprey Talon 8 in a web shop, advertised as 8 liters. Went out of my way to actually see one in a store, and a good thing I did. The bag was barely the size of three 1,5L PET bottles in total (happened to have one with me). I showed it to the doubtful store clerk and asked why they had BS descriptions in their web shop. He admitted the capacity was way short of 8L, but "that's the manufacturer's specs, so we're good". Ummm... legally speaking no, you're not.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-16-13, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
+1 on panniers.

If, however, you insist on backpack, I was going to suggest a suitably sized Deuter. I see you went that way already. We have one of their middle range backpacks (maybe 40-50L of volume (1)) and the frame does a reasonably good job keeping the bag off your skin and providing space for ventilation. It seems the frame is not used in their smaller backpacks, at least not in the models we saw here.

(1) As a side note, has anyone else noticed the hiking bag capacity claims are ridiculously inflated? I was in search for a large hip pack and saw an Osprey Talon 8 in a web shop, advertised as 8 liters. Went out of my way to actually see one in a store, and a good thing I did. The bag was barely the size of three 1,5L PET bottles in total (happened to have one with me). I showed it to the doubtful store clerk and asked why they had BS descriptions in their web shop. He admitted the capacity was way short of 8L, but "that's the manufacturer's specs, so we're good". Ummm... legally speaking no, you're not.

--J
Yeah, I want a backpack because I do bike-train-bike to get to work, which involves going up and down stairs like 5 times--the added weight to the bike itself would be a major hassle, as I've ascertained by carrying my girlfriend's heavy Giant bike up just one flight of stairs. A hybrid thing might be an option, but at this point I think a backpack just works better for me.

I have the Deuter Futura 42L with the frame, gave it a shot commuting the other day and found that the top of the pack would bump against my helmet when I was riding. Also wasn't sure what to do with the massive hip belt. These things don't bother you?
Old 10-16-13, 12:41 PM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't tried Deuter on bike, just hiking and XC skiing. Can't you just keep the hip belt open? Tuck the loose ends somehow, so they don't get tangled with anything? Not sure if you can do anything about the top bumping your helmet though.

Deuter makes biking specific backpacks, but I'm not sure they're large enough... see the Cross Air for example. https://deuter.com/en/DE/product/1-76...sAir20EXP.html

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-16-13, 07:52 PM

Bikes: 1980 Miyata 310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried or heard of Road Runner Bags? They make a bag that could be up your alley. Roll top, waterproof, water bottle pocket, reflective strip, u-lock holder, etc. Handmade out in La. For cycling backpacks they do a really nice job. You can check it out here: https://roadrunnerbags.us/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike-bag.jpg (79.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by no1mad; 10-17-13 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added link