Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Reward for losing the pound

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin, 2011 Specialized Myka HT disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, well this week has been good. On Saturday I did my first official 30 mile ride and this week I hit under 190 pounds!! So it's time to reward myself. I'm getting some clipless pedals and some shoes, but I could use some help deciding which ones

Shimano PD-M324
or
Shimano PD-M540

The reviews on both are great, I the m324 I like because I could ride with regular shoes, but the m540 seem to be a higher end and more durable.
Old 10-09-13, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'd go with the M540s. They are a little nicer. Plus, in a pinch you could ride your bike in normal shoes, but I wouldn't suggest riding too far in them

I have eggbeaters on my cross/commuter bike, and for a quick ride with the kids or to the store I can perch my feet on the eggbeaters. Not idea, but it works.
Old 10-09-13, 09:35 AM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the 540's are MTB pedals... I've run that type of pedal for nearly 20 years... as far as durability they are hard to beat, they are also easily adjustable and because of the dual sided nature they are easy to get in... if you aren't riding in mud/clay that could easily gum up the pedal/cleats they are a great way to go for a first set of clipless... if you want you can save a bit more $$$ and go with the m520 and spend the extra on shoes https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...67_-1___202530

I've never used the m324's, I can see the allure just to hop on the bike but I know my a520's (single sided with a platform for extra support) can be a bit of a pita to get clipped into when pulling away from a light quickly... my old dual sided I never had to even glance at the pedal to clip in.

that being said... spend more then you think you want to on shoes... good shoes make a huge difference, find ones that fit well and have a good secure retention system, but as with all shoes make sure they fit properly, different brands fit differently, it seems Italian guys have skinny feet... some shoe makers put lots of room in the toe box and others not so much, you just have to find the shoe that fits you correctly

also cycling socks to wick moisture are a great addition for footsie comfort... you can get em cheap (expensive compared to your typical socks) but they can make a huge difference in comfort.
Old 10-09-13, 09:40 AM
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh on a side note... I saw something very kewl at the LBS yesterday... it seems speedplay has a nice little cover that clips onto their road pedals, it's two sided and makes it into a platform pedal

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/new...just-in-38114/

I know there is that sort of thing for SPD but from what I've ready they are pretty much crap as they are plastic and clip in... the speedplay covers are from what I could see just a cover that is held to one another with a metal clip...
Old 10-09-13, 09:48 AM

Bikes: '86 Miyata 1000, '85 Raleigh Elkhorn (retired), 2000 Specializer HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the 540s, I did run a clip-less/platform pedal for a while. I Found I did not like riding without being clipped in, I felt insecure.

Shoes are a whole different ball game, pretty person/foot specific. Comfort and usage are the main factors for me.

Have fun...
Old 10-09-13, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will go with 540. These are the shoes that I'm considering, Shimano XC-30 but not being able to try them on makes me a little iffy about buying them online.
Old 10-09-13, 11:31 AM
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are what I have been running. I have been very happy with them! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-09-13, 11:35 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
540 all the way, those two sided things are more head aches then worth. Once you get used to clipless, you won't NEED the platform pedal on other side and make it PITA leaving stop lights.

If you want the platform + clipless, I'd go Crank Bros Mallets. Springs on both side plus huge platform when needed.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-09-13, 11:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reelin
I will go with 540. These are the shoes that I'm considering, Shimano XC-30 but not being able to try them on makes me a little iffy about buying them online.
If you have ANY chance to buy in a traditional store, I'd recommend it. Buying bike shoes online is frustrating because fits are so different. I've got a pair of Specialized MTB shoes and I'm in an 11.5 in them, when I'd normally wear an 11. Meanwhile a pair of Forte (Performance's in house brand) in the size equated with an 11 were a half size too big.
Old 10-09-13, 11:36 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsigone
540 all the way, those two sided things are more head aches then worth. Once you get used to clipless, you won't NEED the platform pedal on other side and make it PITA leaving stop lights.

If you want the platform + clipless, I'd go Crank Bros Mallets. Springs on both side plus huge platform when needed.
Older model Candy Cs would work too ... they're not quite a true mallet, but there's enough around the spindle to make riding without specific shoes very possible usually they're cheap too
Old 10-09-13, 11:43 AM
got the climbing bug

Ehh the older plastic body Candy C has known spindle snapping issue. I've broken 2 spindles. One doing a CX race which sucked.

I have this on my 29er rumblefish https://www.bikebling.com/Crank-Broth...dy3-pedals.htm
and these on my 29er singlespeed https://www.bikebling.com/Crank-Broth...bros-14713.htm

Kinda opposite then what people think, but on the SS i have to dismount for steep up or dab a foot here n there over where I don't have enough momentum, so the platform helps me keeps my legs moving w/o searching for the cleat to engage for a few revs.
Old 10-09-13, 11:47 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Good to know ... those are what I have (in yellow of all colors) but I took them off my MTB when I converted it to an urban bike and went with some sweet white platforms with no clips. They're currently in the "parts bin."

I love those mallets ... if I had an actual MTB that I used off road (it's an n+1 want at this point) I'd consider those for sure!
Old 10-09-13, 12:01 PM
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
If you have ANY chance to buy in a traditional store, I'd recommend it. Buying bike shoes online is frustrating because fits are so different. I've got a pair of Specialized MTB shoes and I'm in an 11.5 in them, when I'd normally wear an 11. Meanwhile a pair of Forte (Performance's in house brand) in the size equated with an 11 were a half size too big.
this...

brand to brand can be very different... I have some shimano s-works shoes (carbon sole, boa retention system) and they are a bit on the small side, I have to go without socks or very thin socks... I got a great deal on them lightly used (didn't fit the guy who bought em in the club) but in reality I'd prob be better with a size up... I need to replace them but after riding high end shoes it's difficult to goto something cheaper :-/

also you don't mention if you are riding "real" MTBing or just pavement/greenways you might consider some SPD "touring" shoes... sort of like these https://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/st...touring-shoes/ they look a bit more normal but still have a decent sole and SPD compatible... I've been spending most of my time in shimano SPD sandals of late... not perfect but I sure like riding in sandals and between the riding i've been doing and the extra support on the a520 pedals I would call them adiquate... I'll prob use them for most of my tour next spring https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...ssociationsCmd
Old 10-09-13, 12:04 PM
got the climbing bug

I like them ALLOT!! Those DH versions are wider, 5mm longer spindles each so 10mm added to the Q factor overall. After the first ride you can't feel the diff, and no problem going from one to another. My legs/knee aren't that picky. The wider Q, increases the foot stance for better attack position through the rocks and hairy stuff. I don't have to poke my knees out so much when cornering at speeds. Also the spindles are tapered so stronger then other version, designed for abuse!! Bit expensive but 5yr warranty is nice on the backend if needed.
Old 10-09-13, 12:08 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
sounds great ... hopefully a new MTB is in the plans/budget for next year
Old 10-10-13, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly do road riding, but I do have to walk to get to the road, which is why I decided to go with the mtb shoes. I order the pedals, but will try to hold on the lbs to see if they get some shoes next week, if not I'll order them online.