Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novice Question: Suggestions for Front Panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I would like to receive suggestions regarding the purchase of front panniers. I know this is a very basic subject for this forum, so please excuse my novice-ness.

I've only toured with rear panniers and a handlebar bag, and found the weight difference between front and rear of the bike to be sometimes a problem. I do self-contained tours, but keep the bulk and weight that I carry to a minimum.

I just added a low-rider front rack. Please note that my wheels are only 26", so maybe ground clearance could be an issue? I would like the front panniers to be more or less waterproof without the use of plastic bags, or at least include rain covers.

Can anyone suggest a good front pannier that satisfies the above requirements without costing too much? (Arkel seems to have a good one, but it's over by budget: about $119 for EACH pannier.)

Thanks,
Wolfy
Old 03-07-05, 08:42 AM
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered these at $121/pair plus $31 for the rain covers:

https://www.panniers.com/panniers/xm2...asp?fl=1&site=

If you need something a little smaller and cheaper there are the t-22s.
Old 03-07-05, 08:56 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
Hello,

I would like to receive suggestions regarding the purchase of front panniers. I know this is a very basic subject for this forum, so please excuse my novice-ness.

I've only toured with rear panniers and a handlebar bag, and found the weight difference between front and rear of the bike to be sometimes a problem. I do self-contained tours, but keep the bulk and weight that I carry to a minimum.

I just added a low-rider front rack. Please note that my wheels are only 26", so maybe ground clearance could be an issue? I would like the front panniers to be more or less waterproof without the use of plastic bags, or at least include rain covers.

Can anyone suggest a good front pannier that satisfies the above requirements without costing too much? (Arkel seems to have a good one, but it's over by budget: about $119 for EACH pannier.)

Thanks,
Wolfy
Ortlieb front roller Classics. $120 per pair at REI. Great bags that are very waterproof. Not very fancy but they get the job done and the attachment system is outstanding.

I'd suggest using plastic bags for your clothes however. Keeps everything nice and organized. It's not needed but it is nice to just reach in and pull out a day's worth of clothes.

Stuart Black
Old 03-07-05, 08:59 AM
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i second cyccommute, ortlieb´s really waterproof. once a girl challenged me to throw our panniers(me vaude, she ortlieb) into the pond to see which one would float.
Old 03-07-05, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Schumius
i second cyccommute, ortlieb´s really waterproof. once a girl challenged me to throw our panniers(me vaude, she ortlieb) into the pond to see which one would float.
And?
Old 03-07-05, 09:18 AM
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, my vaude was kinda broken so i said you can throw yours into the pond as you like, but i´m not going to throw mine in!

you should see the expression on her friend´s face, and i should just slap myself to death. that was really a lame reply, now thinking about it.

ps. then when i bought my ortliebs i did throw them into the water and they did float! luckily i didn´t compete with her, my vaude would just sink into the bottom and i would slap myself to death as well!
Old 03-10-05, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Ortlieb front roller Classics. $120 per pair at REI. Great bags that are very waterproof. Not very fancy but they get the job done and the attachment system is outstanding.

I'd suggest using plastic bags for your clothes however. Keeps everything nice and organized. It's not needed but it is nice to just reach in and pull out a day's worth of clothes.

Stuart Black
Thanks Stuart (and everyone else) for your front-pannier suggestions. I ordered the Ortlieb Front Rollers today from REI. In addition to the features you like about them, I like their relatively small size.

I almost went with PerformanceBike's Transit Pro because they come with a rain cover, but they are too large for my needs, and the attachment system seems shaky. In fairness, though, the TransitPros are considerably cheaper.

BTW, I received 20% off from REI, which is good through April 3rd on any one item. I also used my REI dividend check, which helped.

Thanks!
Wolfy
Old 03-10-05, 08:40 AM
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA

I almost went with PerformanceBike's Transit Pro because they come with a rain cover, but they are too large for my needs, and the attachment system seems shaky. In fairness, though, the TransitPros are considerably cheaper.
I have a pair of the Performance panniers, and the attachment system is shaky. I know some people have stated they like them, but I found the hooks to be "flexible" and had no confidence in them.

Maybe it's a quality-control problem.
Old 03-10-05, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David in PA

That seems like a deal impossible to pass by

With the 20% discount less my dividend they will cost me about 80$.

Going to order a pair today
Old 03-10-05, 08:31 PM
beer drinker

Bikes: trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about a front rack?
Old 03-16-05, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Stuart Black
I just purchased Ortlieb's Front Rollers Panniers Classic. Unfortunately, they don't work properly with my existing front rack. It appears the diameter of the rack is too thick for the upper clips. I can barely "hang" the panniers and attach their lower clips to the rack. Due to the rack's thick diameter, they will definitely pop-off or become loose at the first major bump.

I was hoping you or someone could provide suggestions for an appropriate rack. The panniers' top clips fit around racks 10mm in diameter. My bike is a Cannondale C400, which is more or less a mountain bike converted to a so-called "comfort" bike. The front fork does have eyelets.

Thanks,
Wolfy(I also posted this in a new thread.)

Thanks,
Wolfy

Last edited by David in PA; 03-16-05 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 08:59 PM
senile member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there´re removable "spacers" in the hooks, you take them out and you have more room for the thicker rack.
Old 03-16-05, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why don't you get oversize replacement clips

https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...st.asp?scat=21
Old 03-16-05, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by spang621
what about a front rack?
Tubus Tara. Great rack and it looks cool. https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...p?pid=73&cid=3
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!