Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

To get a Coach or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Remind me in 5 years and might have lived that very same tract.
unfortunately, in the meantime the masses may be subject to listening to how you 'don't train' and 'aren't serious' and 'don't suck' and therefore must have things figured out because you can get on the 2nd page on a strava segment (which is never advice to anyone, of course--they must be reading between the lines).

it's interesting how the ones who seem to give you the attention you need are often the newer riders impressed by things like riding hours or strava times, and the more experienced riders agree much less frequently.

if it were me and if i realized that i'd STFU and listen. you might just write it off as those pesky haters!

the definition of a hater is NOT someone who fails to give you the attention you seek in the way that you want it. grolby, gsteinb, rkwaki, shovel, just to name guys on the last 2 pages of this one thread...not haters. you're doing yourself (and ultimately this forum) a disservice to think otherwise.

kinda goes along with the 'not gonna listen' attitude you generally flaunt, though. i hope it changes, sometime.
Old 10-23-13, 09:17 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Hey, I'm over it, dude. If you want to be ignorant about criterium racing, be my guest.
That's all I ever wanted. But no really, I'm going to have to do p12 crits next year with my new team so I expect I'll just learn on the job.
Old 10-23-13, 09:31 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
unfortunately, in the meantime the masses may be subject to listening to how you 'don't train' and 'aren't serious' and 'don't suck' and therefore must have things figured out because you can get on the 2nd page on a strava segment (which is never advice to anyone, of course--they must be reading between the lines).

it's interesting how the ones who seem to give you the attention you need are often the newer riders impressed by things like riding hours or strava times, and the more experienced riders agree much less frequently.

if it were me and if i realized that i'd STFU and listen. you might just write it off as those pesky haters!

the definition of a hater is NOT someone who fails to give you the attention you seek in the way that you want it. grolby, gsteinb, rkwaki, shovel, just to name guys on the last 2 pages of this one thread...not haters. you're doing yourself (and ultimately this forum) a disservice to think otherwise.

kinda goes along with the 'not gonna listen' attitude you generally flaunt, though. i hope it changes, sometime.
Deep breaths, it'll be OK.

I would like to mention that the vast majority of say everyone but you and Shovel who left Social Cyclists get along fine with me. So while I say "hater's gonna hate" because I know you'll flip your ****, what I meant was sure, I consider if it's "just me" but came to the conclusion that it wasn't.

Also, that place is still going, but hasn't grown because it doesn't turn up in any search results. I started reading back here again when SC was down for like 9 days and I got hooked. I love you guys.

Another point I would ask you to consider is that SC started out when a bunch of people I had nothing to do with started banning each other. This stuff isn't new.

Lastly, honestly, don't be mad. I actually requested to be your facebook friend in the hopes you might see some some interaction I have with the tons of people I get along with and wouldn't just see a giant blinking "huge *******" next to my posts. What else can I do?

Those names you listed, I uhm, replied to them and I don't think any of them are actually upset, but if you were asked to speak for them I'd be surprised.

There's no side to pick here. I don't want a coach because I'm happy how I'm progressing and how I'm doing. I might in the future! I don't think a coach is 100% necessary for someone to do well, but for most people it probably would help them progress faster.

Is that really controversial?
Old 10-23-13, 09:31 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I'm going to have to do p12 crits next year with my new team so I expect I'll just learn on the job.
The Early Bird series in January would be a good place to start - relatively low key, smaller fields, nobody watching if you decide to drop/crash out.

my race videos
Old 10-23-13, 09:41 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
The Early Bird series in January would be a good place to start - relatively low key, smaller fields, nobody watching if you decide to drop/crash out.
Subtle.
Old 10-23-13, 09:43 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's all I ever wanted. But no really, I'm going to have to do p12 crits next year with my new team so I expect I'll just learn on the job.
You are a p/1/2?
i may have missed something...
Old 10-23-13, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deep breaths, it'll be OK.

I would like to mention that the vast majority of say everyone but you and Shovel who left Social Cyclists get along fine with me. So while I say "hater's gonna hate" because I know you'll flip your ****, what I meant was sure, I consider if it's "just me" but came to the conclusion that it wasn't.

Also, that place is still going, but hasn't grown because it doesn't turn up in any search results. I started reading back here again when SC was down for like 9 days and I got hooked. I love you guys.

Another point I would ask you to consider is that SC started out when a bunch of people I had nothing to do with started banning each other. This stuff isn't new.

Lastly, honestly, don't be mad. I actually requested to be your facebook friend in the hopes you might see some some interaction I have with the tons of people I get along with and wouldn't just see a giant blinking "huge *******" next to my posts. What else can I do?

Those names you listed, I uhm, replied to them and I don't think any of them are actually upset, but if you were asked to speak for them I'd be surprised.

There's no side to pick here. I don't want a coach because I'm happy how I'm progressing and how I'm doing. I might in the future! I don't think a coach is 100% necessary for someone to do well, but for most people it probably would help them progress faster.

Is that really controversial?
fudgy, if you want to have that interpretation of the departure of SC, i'll leave you to your world. i suspect you just simply don't know what you don't know. (in fact, you prove that often here on BF.) it must be the excuses you need to continue thinking and behaving as you do.

more experienced folks can see through the bike-related BS.

you seem to think this is about one post, or one thread even. it just happens that i responded in one place. i don't care if you have a coach or not; why would i? i'm not speaking for shovel or gsteinb or grolby or rkwaki--just reading what they wrote on the last 2 pages. i don't expect anything about you to change, but it had to be said.

i'm not mad at you. i just simply don't respect you.

like i said before, i typically read threads a few pages at a time, and when your posts pop up there's a noticeable pattern. 'hey--i never said that.'

you have a problem goading people, as you admit. you just did it up above, intentionally. shovel has called you on how you tend to word things in your posts (this isn't just a one time thing) to imply things only to say 'you read between the lines; i can't help it'. you like to say something and leave wiggle room to weasel out of it.

dude, i'd have more respect for you if you actually were just forthright than the "i'll just throw a rock and then pretend i didn't" style that comes up so often.

we're not friends. you helped lead to the dissolution of the SC community (too much noise; not enough signal). writing it off as 'an outage' that drove you here is kind of BS. you needed the attention; something about a race you did well in ('but results don't matter').

the SC community still exists from what i can see -- insofar as it's like 4 people talking to each other. my hope is that you don't bring the same problems you have online (the ones you admit to) over to here.

as for the Facebook thing, that is one of the more laughable things i've read in a while. you sent me a friend request in order to prove that you're a good guy and not the ****** you've proven yourself to be online for a few years -- and to still be? yeah, i think i'll invest the time in seeing where that goes. kinda weird.

where's that eye-roll icon?

not really interested in you other than occasionally being forced to see your posts here when i sign in. i like the community, though, and i'll speak up when i (repeatedly) see something that i think is not helping. don't mistake it for interest in you. i'd like to see the knowledgeable posters here stick around and the new benefit from rich discussion.
Old 10-23-13, 10:05 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
You are a p/1/2?
i may have missed something...
Nah, I'm a handful points away. Like a win or a couple 3-4-5ths. usac 321408, you can look at the trend, but that was all racing alone. I'm hoping with a more active team I can be more productive earlier next year.

Last edited by Ygduf; 10-23-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 10:12 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have all the drama I need in my real life. That's to say, like none at all. Well, my dog was hurt, but he's doing well now thanks.

Point is, I can't hold your hand all the time. Just you ignore me and I swear to god I'll resist the urge to post TLR every time I scroll past yours? Seems a reasonable compromise.
Old 10-23-13, 10:24 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
fudgy, if you want to have that interpretation of the departure of SC, i'll leave you to your world. i suspect you just simply don't know what you don't know. (in fact, you prove that often here on BF.) it must be the excuses you need to continue thinking and behaving as you do.

more experienced folks can see through the bike-related BS.

you seem to think this is about one post, or one thread even. it just happens that i responded in one place. i don't care if you have a coach or not; why would i? i'm not speaking for shovel or gsteinb or grolby or rkwaki--just reading what they wrote on the last 2 pages. i don't expect anything about you to change, but it had to be said.

i'm not mad at you. i just simply don't respect you.

like i said before, i typically read threads a few pages at a time, and when your posts pop up there's a noticeable pattern. 'hey--i never said that.'

you have a problem goading people, as you admit. you just did it up above, intentionally. shovel has called you on how you tend to word things in your posts (this isn't just a one time thing) to imply things only to say 'you read between the lines; i can't help it'. you like to say something and leave wiggle room to weasel out of it.

dude, i'd have more respect for you if you actually were just forthright than the "i'll just throw a rock and then pretend i didn't" style that comes up so often.

we're not friends. you helped lead to the dissolution of the SC community (too much noise; not enough signal). writing it off as 'an outage' that drove you here is kind of BS. you needed the attention; something about a race you did well in ('but results don't matter').

the SC community still exists from what i can see -- insofar as it's like 4 people talking to each other. my hope is that you don't bring the same problems you have online (the ones you admit to) over to here.

as for the Facebook thing, that is one of the more laughable things i've read in a while. you sent me a friend request in order to prove that you're a good guy and not the ****** you've proven yourself to be online for a few years -- and to still be? yeah, i think i'll invest the time in seeing where that goes. kinda weird.

not really interested in you other than occasionally being forced to see your posts here when i sign in. i like the community, though, and i'll speak up when i (repeatedly) see something that i think is not helping. don't mistake it for interest in you. i'd like to see the knowledgeable posters here stick around and the new benefit from rich discussion
Old 10-23-13, 10:31 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
And I go out of my way to ride with Ex every time I know he is here. It's been a bit, but I don't think he thinks I'm an actual *******.
Don't let him snow you on this. He's a stalker and keeps showing up whenever I'm within driving distance. Unfortunately I can't drop him except in a sprint so I'm stuck with him jabbering on about how everyone thinks he's an awhole but he's really a good guy, just misunderstood. I get a few seconds of rest at the various city limit signs then it's more blah blah blah.

And he doesn't even own a dog, that picture was ripped off from Photobucket.

Glad to hear he's doing better BTW.

The written word leaves room for interpretation. We read things in a good mood or bad mood and they'll hit us differently. It's not filtered with inflection, expressions and physical nuances. It's why it's good to read things before you post them sometimes.

Not that I need to. But the rest of you? For sure.

I like hanging out talking and riding with Fudgy, he's OK in my book FWIW.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 10-23-13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have all the drama I need in my real life. That's to say, like none at all. Well, my dog was hurt, but he's doing well now thanks.

Point is, I can't hold your hand all the time. Just you ignore me and I swear to god I'll resist the urge to post TLR every time I scroll past yours? Seems a reasonable compromise.
your attempts to be demeaning are sad more than anything.

you respond to my posts, so even if one has you on ignore it doesn't work. you send me requests on Facebook. how about you stop doing that stuff and drop the notion that i'll be your friend? it's desperate, dude.

how about this? stop posting bull****. i chose to call you on it on one thread. i'm not here every day.

why not go back to SC and post strava links and training volume and spurious advice on there? not enough attention?

the only compromise i'm interested in is one that preserves the presence of the knowledgeable posters in this community. i couldn't care less if you're around or not, but i sure as hell don't want to see them leave as has happened before in other online communities in which you've participated.
Old 10-23-13, 10:53 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Don't let him snow you on this. He's a stalker and keeps showing up whenever I'm within driving distance. Unfortunately I can't drop him except in a sprint so I'm stuck with him jabbering on about how everyone thinks he's an awhole but he's really a good guy, just misunderstood. I get a few seconds of rest at the various city limit signs then it's more blah blah blah.

And he doesn't even own a dog, that picture was ripped off from Photobucket.

Glad to hear he's doing better BTW.

The written word leaves room for interpretation. We read things in a good mood or bad mood and they'll hit us differently. It's not filtered with inflection, expressions and physical nuances. It's why it's good to read things before you post them sometimes.

Not that I need to. But the rest of you? For sure.

I like hanging out talking and riding with Fudgy, he's OK in my book FWIW.
Oh man, I'm more vulnerable than I thought. I was starting to genuinely feel bad if someone I'd met IRL didn't like me!

It turns out my dog might just be a drug seeker. He acts hurt until you rush him to the emergency vet and they prescribe narcotics. Then he's suddenly better but he still comes running when he hears the pill bottles.
Old 10-23-13, 11:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, I'm more vulnerable than I thought. I was starting to genuinely feel bad if someone I'd met IRL didn't like me!
making a distinction between 'real life' and your online persona is pathetic, in my opinion. most people these days integrate the two seamlessly.

if you're this great, well-adjusted, drama-free, not depressed, educated, really happy (wish i had a dollar for every time you've felt the need to reinforce all of that on bikeforums alone!) guy 'IRL', then why can't you just figure out how to convey that online, where you have problems you admit to (and others you don't)?

most normal, functioning members of society in 2013 don't really have trouble with the two. yeah, most of us live a life that seamlessly mixes the two. if you truly can't do it, maybe go return to that other pool with those guys who 'banned each other' because they're online personalities were doucebags but they're all great "IRL".

i'd argue that many people are more their true self online than "in real life" as you say. when issues pop up online -- but they're only online, i swear! -- just makes you wonder what's real.

is the concept of 'online fudgy' being your true self too hard for you to bear? i mean, if that were me i would do all i could to block it out, but you must get through the day somehow.
Old 10-23-13, 11:39 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It turns out my dog might just be a drug seeker. He acts hurt until you rush him to the emergency vet and they prescribe narcotics. Then he's suddenly better but he still comes running when he hears the pill bottles.
You housekeeper, him Limbaugh.
Old 10-24-13, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
teton v. fudgy is the long winded and wordy 2013 version of botto v. mikey.
Old 10-24-13, 06:18 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by mike868y
teton v. fudgy is the long winded and wordy 2013 version of botto v. mikey.
someone didn't teach you about false equivalency.

In case you forgot, here's one of the many things he said

Originally Posted by botto
no, i mean back in the days when rtc actually rode a bike, before mikey came here to find a father figure, and foo was in foo.

I could pull up more of his ad hominem posts on you, but i think you get the point

btw, here's how I responded
Originally Posted by echappist
your spiel on this is getting really old. Ad hominem attacks on people's familial situation is especially crude. He ain't your pinata and i find it a bit cruel that you treat him as such.
There's nothing equivalent here. In case you can't see through it, allow me: your situation is that of a man more than twice your age lambasting and taunting you despite the pleas from others. Almost like a hazing ritual of as if a hazing ritual is necessary to join an internet forum. The taunts got very personal, and he often played armchair psychologist

-----

The present situation is one where more than a few people are tired of seeing fudgy argue for argument's sake, or as he puts it, pointing out the small inconsistencies and playing the devil's advocate. The back-and-forth may be pedantic, but Teton is not browbeating fudgy, teton is not playing armchair shrink, teton is not putting in ad hominem attacks. hell, teton isn't even alone in his view (though plurality of people doesn't mean anything, per se), whereas our resident clog was the only person to keep on piling on the unwarranted taunts. The dynamics and the facts of the situation are different, and if you want to support fudgy, at least be honest enough with yourself to see the difference.

Anyways, i'm outta here. Gotta get a ride going and shred my legs with big gear work.
Old 10-24-13, 06:32 AM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 10-24-13, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, who could've predicted this thread would go in this direction
Old 10-24-13, 07:04 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
wow, who could've predicted this thread would go in this direction
Agreed. If this was the 41 it would be expected...
Though I do love a good ole fashioned brew-ha-ha...
Old 10-24-13, 07:06 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Anyways, i'm outta here.
Quitter.
Old 10-24-13, 07:09 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Quitter.
Old 10-24-13, 07:18 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Quitter.
Originally Posted by rkwaki
i know, i shelved the workout this morning for later on tonight.

technically, i'm allowed to roll in whenever i want, but i think showing up early to work is always better
Old 10-24-13, 07:23 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was put on Twitter last night by a very successful coach in another sport (Scott Abel - Bodybuilding/Fitness Coach):
Immature Coaches, in this industry, think everything is about client performance and therefore this kind of Coach is more concerned with how a client makes him/her look as a Coach. This is selfish of course. Mature Coaches realize that client high-performance cannot be the ALWAYS bottom-line goal with nothing in-between. That is not real-life and no client wants to feel like they live on a hamster wheel or are subject to a Coach’s approval or disapproval for “performance.”

Mature Coaches realize that effective client performance doesn’t come from position, power, or dictations of the Coach! Client performance is better insured without a ‘gun to the head’ sense of pressure. And it is better insured by thinking of the client in terms of “progress” not “performance.” Real Coaching engages client performance and progress from a place of human values (not just performance criterion) and the Mature Coach has regards for the client that are real and genuine and supportive of the client – from the client’s level of understanding – not the coach’s notion of his/her own reputation! Rant over
Old 10-24-13, 07:24 AM
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.