Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

I dislike Joe Friel and Chris Carmichael

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

I dislike Joe Friel and Chris Carmichael

Old 11-05-13, 09:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
he's strong, he still has like a 4.5 w/kg ftp, he's just one of those low speed ot hgih watt people and doesn't ride super smart. Remember you're super slow, evena kitten could whoop you
Old 11-05-13, 10:01 AM
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
he's strong, he still has like a 4.5 w/kg ftp, he's just one of those low speed ot hgih watt people and doesn't ride super smart. Remember you're super slow, evena kitten could whoop you
I was looking at those rollers you were using, might get a set to train on in the house to mix things up. How much did you pay(did you pay? lol)
Old 11-05-13, 10:06 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
about 300. I like them. Still need to contact competitive cyclist for my warranty. Not too happy the cap broke, but it seems like an isolated incident.

i like how the lower speedd (20 mph) is still easily in my z2, but once im over 30 mph im at the 350+ range. I do not like how the wattage chart is just wrong. It said soomething like 400 watts for 31 mph. I can not do z5 work without sticking a towel under the rear roller
Old 11-05-13, 10:19 AM
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
about 300. I like them. Still need to contact competitive cyclist for my warranty. Not too happy the cap broke, but it seems like an isolated incident.

i like how the lower speedd (20 mph) is still easily in my z2, but once im over 30 mph im at the 350+ range. I do not like how the wattage chart is just wrong. It said soomething like 400 watts for 31 mph. I can not do z5 work without sticking a towel under the rear roller
I would only ever use it for Z1/Z2/Z3/Z4 depending on time. You buy them from Competitive?
Old 11-05-13, 10:20 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oui oui mon ami
Old 11-05-13, 11:05 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
My intent here was not to defend Carmichael's moral character or past history.
Saying something is more nuanced and that his lack of criminal charges are evidence of mitigating factors is either defending the act or the actor. Or both. Intent? All I can do is read what was written.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that what actually went on was a bit more nuanced than the plaintiff's allegations. I would like to think that if you doped minors unknowingly that there would be criminal charges involved.
I'd like to believe that if there was massive securities and mortgage fraud that nearly brought down the economy that there would be a long list of people going to jail. It would seem both our belief systems have failed us.

I had several accounts from juniors who rode on those teams (not involved in the suit). Knock on door. "You need this vitamin injection". Ride fast after. B12 magic!

You really need to sit around a table and hear someone ask "You don't think I was doped, do you?" for the real implication of this to hit home.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 11-05-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 11:07 AM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure his current coaching program doesn't involve doping, so the past history doesn't effect me. Also, I'd be willing to bet that what actually went on was a bit more nuanced than the plaintiff's allegations. I would like to think that if you doped minors unknowingly that there would be criminal charges involved.

My intent here was not to defend Carmichael's moral character or past history. Just sayin, I've found him helpful as a coach, and Ive enjoyed riding with him.
I really have no knowledge of Carmichael personally, so my feelings are fairly far removed. It seems like to jump start his coaching career he doped kids who then went and kicked some ass (of course). It doesn't make sense for him to dope anyone now. He's established and the feelings toward PED's have completely changed.

I know a couple who used to be trained by Carmichael. They were even mentioned in one of his books. They said it was reasonable coaching, but nothing special. If you read Hamilton's book, it makes C.C. out to be a clown. I definitely think he was billed as 'Lance's Coach' as a convenient way to cover up the use of Ferrari. Honestly, if you have the option of Ferrari or C.C. as a coach (especially 15 years ago), it's not even a consideration which you're going to go with.
Old 11-05-13, 11:12 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I really have no knowledge of Carmichael personally, so my feelings are fairly far removed. It seems like to jump start his coaching career he doped kids who then went and kicked some ass (of course). It doesn't make sense for him to dope anyone now. He's established and the feelings toward PED's have completely changed.

I know a couple who used to be trained by Carmichael. They were even mentioned in one of his books. They said it was reasonable coaching, but nothing special. If you read Hamilton's book, it makes C.C. out to be a clown. I definitely think he was billed as 'Lance's Coach' as a convenient way to cover up the use of Ferrari. Honestly, if you have the option of Ferrari or C.C. as a coach (especially 15 years ago), it's not even a consideration which you're going to go with.
The answers is 'C' (other).
Old 11-05-13, 12:01 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
If you want to win pro bike races in 1998, 'C' doesn't cut it. While it may be the correct answer in retrospect (and one I agree with) for a host of reasons, it's not the one that many would have made at that time.
Old 11-05-13, 12:05 PM
out walking the earth

I missed the shift from what one of us would do to what would some pro would do. I would have opted for the not wanting to win a pro bike race in 1998 cause taking **** just ain't what I've wanted to do with my time.
Old 11-05-13, 12:07 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Tbf, as amoral as Dr. Ferrari is (i don't think he's immoral), he's at least technically competent. As someone else put it, Ferrari is just the front for Lance, and he got rewarded handsomely for the act. There's a five letter word that start with the letter "B" that really sums up the situation, though the said word is considered by some to be offensive in the LBGT community.

that said, i wouldn't want to go to either. You can't be too sure what Ferrari puts in the OJ.

Last edited by echappist; 11-05-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 12:13 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Tbf, as amoral as Dr. Ferrari is (i don't think he's immoral), he's at least technically competent. As someone else put it, Ferrari is just the front for Lance, and he got rewarded handsomely for the act. There's a five letter word that start with the letter "B" that really sums up the situation, though the said word is considered by some to be offensive in the LBGT community.

that said, i wouldn't want to go to either. You can't be too sure what Ferrari puts in the OJ.
But I would challenge the statement. To some who dream so big that they 'have' to achieve their goal, ped use is just a means to an end morally sold to themselves that 'everyone else is doing it' so I have to.

Then once you are in and see the results, getting out is much more difficult...
Old 11-05-13, 12:47 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
If you want to win pro bike races in 1998, 'C' doesn't cut it. While it may be the correct answer in retrospect (and one I agree with) for a host of reasons, it's not the one that many would have made at that time.
I missed the shift from what one of us would do to what would some pro would do. I would have opted for the not wanting to win a pro bike race in 1998 cause taking **** just ain't what I've wanted to do with my time.
You are smarter than the vast majority of the peloton in those days or, at the very least, have different motivations in life. I would not have been able to put in the time necessary to become a pro bike rider. Even if I had the physical ability (which I never have) it just has never motivated me in that manner. Other things, at least in the past, have. I would say at this point in life, the only thing that has that kind of grasp on me is my children, and I'm completely OK with that.
Old 11-05-13, 12:58 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Now that this thread has drifted into 217 territory, it should be moved there..

my race videos
Old 11-05-13, 01:01 PM
out walking the earth

Since it's mainly concerned the doping of juniors and juniors aren't pros, I'm pretty sure we're ok. But feel free to get your blue star on take control.
Old 11-05-13, 01:15 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it's mainly concerned the doping of juniors and juniors aren't pros, I'm pretty sure we're ok. But feel free to get your blue star on take control.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha that was pretty funny.

Can I have a blue star?
Old 11-05-13, 01:17 PM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by rkwaki
Can I have a blue star?
Old 11-05-13, 01:44 PM
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oooooh that look... those boobs... mmmm
Old 11-05-13, 01:45 PM
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyway, what does CC being a doper / child analrapist have to do with proper training strategy for a newbie racer?

OP - go read the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Do intervals, lots of them. Suffer. Go fast. It's not really so complicated.
Old 11-05-13, 02:43 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ex I knew there was a reason I like you...
Old 11-05-13, 02:46 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Who is that?
Old 11-05-13, 02:52 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is that?
My sister...
Old 11-05-13, 03:53 PM
Resident Alien

Who is that?
Jack Lord. Or Traci Lords. Hang on, let me get my glasses.

Oh lord.
Old 11-05-13, 03:59 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Ex, very sly word play there with the words blue and star
Old 11-05-13, 03:59 PM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Anyway, what does CC being a doper / child analrapist have to do with proper training strategy for a newbie racer?
You mean you still haven't had "The Talk" ?