Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best clipless/normal pedal combination?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-04-13, 06:12 PM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for some pedals for my SO's birthday. She just bought a mountain bike that she also commutes with when it's snowy (road bikes don't like (lots of) snow) so I would like to get her some pedals that can do both. She's been looking to get clipless pedals for her mountain bike because the few times we've gone she was slipping off her pedals the entire way, but since she also commutes (or if she's nervous on the trail) she can use the other side which is just a normal pedal.

I was looking at these ones from REI, but can you suggest anything better?

Please don't try to convince me to just buy normal clipless pedals, she already has 2 sets from friends giving them to her, she doesn't want to use them because during the winter she commutes on the bike more than she goes off road with it.
Old 11-04-13, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have those on all 3 of my bikes. They work great for me when I ride clipless and for my wife when she rides in 'regular' shoes.
Old 11-05-13, 03:23 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Those are the pedals I use ... I have them on all my bicycles.
Old 11-05-13, 03:49 AM

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I had a pair of them and I hated them. When I put my foot down on them they where always on the wrong side. I like these the best https://www.rei.com/product/705310/sh...pd-bike-pedals

Rei is way to pricey. You can buy them most places on line for 1/2 or less then rei like here https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...ls/rp-prod3760

Last edited by tim24k; 11-05-13 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 04:02 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by tim24k
I had a pair of them and I hated them. When I put my foot down on them they where always on the wrong side. I like these the best https://www.rei.com/product/705310/sh...pd-bike-pedals
If mine are on the "wrong" side, I just flip them.
Old 11-05-13, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Machka
If mine are on the "wrong" side, I just flip them.
Yep you can do that. But in the city I would rather have my attention on traffic not looking down to see if my petals are on the right side or not. Sorry, I found them to be just to clumsy for me. I should also add they are also very heavy. Just my $.02

Last edited by tim24k; 11-05-13 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 04:27 AM
In Real Life

Yep you can do that. In the city I would rather have my attention on traffic not looking down to see if my petals are on the right side or not. Sorry, I found them just to clumsy for me. Just my $.02
Well, it's not like it matters which side you're on ... you can ride with the "wrong" side until it is safe to flip. I rarely have to look down at mine.

It was such a relief to me to get those pedals, and move away from clipless.

But then I grew up with toe clips, so flipping pedals was a natural part of my cycling for about the first 25 years.
Old 11-05-13, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Machka
Well, it's not like it matters which side you're on ... you can ride with the "wrong" side until it is safe to flip. I rarely have to look down at mine.

It was such a relief to me to get those pedals, and move away from clipless.

But then I grew up with toe clips, so flipping pedals was a natural part of my cycling for about the first 25 years.
At 35,187 posts when do you find time to ride?
Old 11-05-13, 04:44 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been happy with Wellgo's combo SPD pedals. They can usually be found cheaper than similar Shimano models, if price is a concern.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-05-13, 04:53 AM
In Real Life

??

Odd question. Really quite strange.

Do you normally cycle at 10 pm?
Old 11-05-13, 06:07 AM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33

I have a set of these and they're very nice, I paid under $50 for mine brand new on eBay. However after going back to clipless I found that I don't like riding platform pedals anymore though unless they have clips or PowerGrip straps and even then I'm missing the clipless the entire ride............
Old 11-05-13, 09:17 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
This wasn't really necessary, let's keep on topic here please. Different pedals are good for different people. To each his/her own.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-05-13, 10:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Welgo copied Shimano, the cage on the street shoe side is chromed steel .. on the original.
the copies cost less, may be good enough,.. YMMV...

Me I own a pedal wrench . its easy to unscrew pedals to change them.

Ergon my practical day to day choice..

pedal washers & greased threads..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-05-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 10:34 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Welgo copied Shimano, the cage on the street shoe side is chromed steel .. on the original.
the copies cost less, may be good enough,.. YMMV...

Me I own a pedal wrench . its easy to unscrew pedals to change them.

Ergon my practical day to day choice..
I also own a pedal wrench, but these are not for MY bikes, they're for my girlfriend's. And she is by no means going to want to change pedals out at 6:00 in the morning or after a hard ride on the mountain.

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it. I'll look other places as well (ebay, amazon etc.)
Old 11-05-13, 10:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
N+1, commute on a different bike , depending on the shoes (she) choosen wear ..
Old 11-05-13, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought some for $50 bucks on e-bay, 30 bucks cheaper than REI or 14 bucks cheaper if you include the REI reward thingy. Not a bad deal!
Old 11-05-13, 10:46 AM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 225 Posts
I have Shimano A530 on two of my bikes and find them great! The platform is comfortable and the clipless side works well.
Old 11-05-13, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since someone has already made a thread looking for suggestions on clipless pedals, I figure I'll ask here. I bought my 1st road bike two months ago but I'm on the fence whether I should invest in some cycling shoes and clipless pedals. When I bought my bike, my intentions were only to exercise and get out of the house that doesn't involve me getting into my pick-up. I have no intentions of competing or touring. In a couple of months, I'm about to start school and I know I won't have much time to ride like I'm doing now. I've been researching prices on these and they're not cheap especially when the only thing you can do with these shoes is cycling (unlike basketball and running shoes where you can wear them casually). My questions are:

Is a good investment to buy a decent pair of shoes / clipless pedals just for exercising?

Does pedaling with cycling shoes / clipless pedals make a big difference?

Keep in mind, I won't have much time to ride once school starts.
Old 11-05-13, 11:55 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
The thing about clipless is that for me, I get much more power because I can pull up on the pedal and make more pronounced circular movement.

Even if you dont have much time to ride, it still gives a better workout and good cycling discipline BECAUSE of the different way of pedaling (pulling up).
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-06-13, 02:02 AM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoviceJohn
Since someone has already made a thread looking for suggestions on clipless pedals, I figure I'll ask here. I bought my 1st road bike two months ago but I'm on the fence whether I should invest in some cycling shoes and clipless pedals. When I bought my bike, my intentions were only to exercise and get out of the house that doesn't involve me getting into my pick-up. I have no intentions of competing or touring...
Does pedaling with cycling shoes / clipless pedals make a big difference?

Keep in mind, I won't have much time to ride once school starts.
I like pin platform pedals such as the Wellgo B065 for general around-town riding. They have a bit of grip to them because the pins dig into the soles of soft shoes such as runners, hiking boots, or even dressier shoes with rubber soles. Not quite as much grip as a clipless pedal, but enough to make a difference and make use of the hamstring muscles at the back of the pedal stroke.
I especially like them in winter because my hiking boots are warmer than any cycling shoe I've ever seen.
Old 11-06-13, 06:10 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoviceJohn
I bought my 1st road bike two months ago but I'm on the fence whether I should invest in some cycling shoes and clipless pedals. When I bought my bike, my intentions were only to exercise and get out of the house that doesn't involve me getting into my pick-up. I have no intentions of competing or touring.
They will be well worth it to you. If you are careful with your shopping, you should be able to get out for $100 or less for entry level pieces that will be fine for a long time.

Road shoes and pedals if you're gonna stay on the bike during your rides, MTB shoes walk better if you are riding to the store to shop.
Old 11-06-13, 06:37 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
The thing about clipless is that for me, I get much more power because I can pull up on the pedal and make more pronounced circular movement.

Even if you dont have much time to ride, it still gives a better workout and good cycling discipline BECAUSE of the different way of pedaling (pulling up).
This has never worked for me. I love the clipless system, and don't ride with platform shoes anymore - but I still don't pull up usually. How many here pull up on the pedal regularly? I find the locking itself advantageous enough.