Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 08-22-14, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Walked a couple blocks over to make a deposit at the bank after the lunch rush.

Also rode 2.5 miles to the Aldi grocery store in the next town (much cheaper prices than what we have locally) to pick up some groceries before I head home. I usually do one big shopping trip on Sunday, which feeds the two of us for the week but we've had an extended house guest (my nephew) the past few weeks who has been cleaning out my pantry.
Old 08-22-14, 07:12 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Did a longer walk yesterday to a shop I thought might carry a certain item ... unfortunately, they didn't. But I got a good long walk in on a very nice day.
Old 08-22-14, 07:34 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I try to walk the dog about a mile every day. Even on 110 mile ride days. I have a better ride if I have more time with him in the morning.
Old 08-22-14, 07:42 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What I posted earlier on my facebook:
Walk report time. Mind you, I didn't record the wee bit from the QT to the Tag Office and of course it is one of (if not) the hottest days so far to run errands ><.
Basically, the old Blockbuster store to Sooner Tire to USPS to home. 3.34 miles in 1:03:00 at 3.2 mph w/461 kcal (according to Sports Tracker).
I meant to get up earlier and get my walk in before it warmed up, but it didn't happen- it was 101F according to the nearest wunderground station (7 miles away) when I walked back into my house.
Old 08-22-14, 10:37 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I rode to the doctor this morning. I usually walk - but it was early, it's a 3-5 minute ride vs. a 15-20 minute walk, and I really am that lazy.

I was itching to try out my new setup, but it was hot all day - so I decided to go on a night ride. I returned some library books, got a book from my office, and rode a bit on a paved trail through the wooded marsh. It turns out that the woods are kind of scary at night: it was pitch black, there were frogs running all around the trail, and I got covered in cobwebs. When the fog started to roll in, I decided to cut the ride through the marsh short.
Old 08-23-14, 06:01 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I rode to the doctor this morning. I usually walk - but it was early, it's a 3-5 minute ride vs. a 15-20 minute walk, and I really am that lazy.

I was itching to try out my new setup, but it was hot all day - so I decided to go on a night ride. I returned some library books, got a book from my office, and rode a bit on a paved trail through the wooded marsh. It turns out that the woods are kind of scary at night: it was pitch black, there were frogs running all around the trail, and I got covered in cobwebs. When the fog started to roll in, I decided to cut the ride through the marsh short.
You'll have to go do that ride at Halloween.
Old 08-23-14, 06:02 AM
In Real Life

Saturday -- Cycled 29.86 km!

Today was a beautiful day, a taste of spring with light winds, sunny skies, and a temperature high of 18C.

We decided to cycle from home to a Model Train Show and back ... a slightly strenuous loop route. And we spent a couple hours at the Model Train Show ... just fascinating!
Old 08-23-14, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I walked one mile down the road with a wheel barrow, chainsaw and shovel to clear the boulders and other debris that came down the side of the mountain in Thursday night's storm. I would have done it sooner, but I thought the town may actually get around to doing the job they are paid to do. Guess I have something to address at the next town meeting
Old 08-24-14, 12:06 AM
In Real Life

Sunday -- We're celebrating our 6th Anniversary today. And we went for a ride ... of course!

We did a lovely 19.44 km ride in the area of one of the local beaches ... and one of the flattest routes around.

(But we did drive to get there ... cycling there would be a bit more challenging than we were up for today)

[HR][/HR]

On our wedding day 6 years ago, we cycled a century (100 miles) .. and then got married on the dock on a little lake near Jasper.

Us at the start of the ride:

Us getting married:

Old 08-24-14, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sunday -- We're celebrating our 6th Anniversary today.
Happy Anniversary.
Old 08-25-14, 12:18 AM
vespertine member

Last night: Night Ride with the trailer, for the bi-monthly big grocery trip. (No creepy marsh this time.)

Today: I was dying for a longer ride, as it's been warmer than I like and I don't do mornings unless it's for work or some special event. I managed to push through a very sweaty 25 miles, stopping for some dried cranberries (for my LCF inspired homemade bread) on the way home. I haven't sweat like that since living on the Gulf Coast.
Old 08-25-14, 02:05 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My latest status update on fb:
Walk report time. Usual QT to Home route, crossing Main St. at the light at Taft.
SportsTracker: 2.05 miles in 39:08 at 3.2 mph w/269 kcal
Run Keeper: 2.09 miles in 40:17* w/304 calories.
*The time difference can be attributed to switching between apps at the start and finish. Run Keeper doesn't record speed per se (at least not in the free version), but it does track the pace. Pace for RK was 19:19 and ST was 19:02.
One of the hotter days of the year to boot . Really should make a point to get up earlier and get out to beat the heat.
Old 08-26-14, 05:04 AM
In Real Life

Monday's walk was a very brisk hike to get the keys to our new place.

Tuesday's walk was a slightly slower visit around several furniture shops.
Old 08-27-14, 12:52 AM
vespertine member

Most interesting ride of the past few days: Night Ride to return the (unused) room air conditioner I bought last week and then purchase a boatload of diet Coke to fuel my partner's addiction. Living in the north in the summer, I had forgotten how nice it is to ride in the dark.
Old 08-27-14, 10:06 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
First of two or possibly three today

Originally Posted by my fb update
An early walk report?!? Why, yes it is
Home->Doc's office->QT->Walgreen's->Home.
4.3 miles in 1:24:49 at 2.9 mph w/722 kcal according to Endomondo.
As I actually gained one pound in two weeks w/o actually changing my diet any, I am now wholly convinced that Endomondo artificially inflates the calorie burn as sort of a pep talk to motivate people.

Last edited by no1mad; 08-27-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 11:13 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Brompton Fits Perfectly under the Internet Juke box , on the wall of my favorite watering hole & socializing place

Yesterday the ATM and the Minimart on the way Back .. ..

... so those 2 bikes covered the 'some thing old, something new' part of the Rhyme?
Old 08-27-14, 09:09 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Posted this one on facebook earlier before I laid down for a short nap and fixed dinner and read the fine print for the new meds.

Originally Posted by me
Second walk report of the day. This is from Walgreen's to home using Sports Tracker: 1.27 miles in 23:41 at 3.2 mph w/165 kcal.
Old 08-27-14, 11:59 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
1:30hr loop to the Library, think i need to take up swimming to lose some weight with minimal impact because my left knee keeps acting up
Old 08-28-14, 06:20 AM
In Real Life

Monday's walk was a very brisk hike to get the keys to our new place.

Tuesday's walk was a slightly slower visit around several furniture shops.
Wednesday's walk was up to the real estate agency again, and back to work.
Old 08-29-14, 09:33 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Today's update
Originally Posted by me
Walk report time. Two different segments recorded by two different apps.
QT-Anytime Fitness- 1.06 in 19:39 at 3.24 mph w/142 calories (My Tracks)
Anytime Fitness->Home- 1.44 miles in 26:29 at 3.3mph w/204 kcal (Sports-Tracker).

Decided to go check out the gym, but couldn't get in. They were supposed to be open to the public at 1:00, but I waited until 1:10 and the doors were still locked, so I took off.
Gotta lose some weight and trying to check out the two closest facilities closest to me. Anytime Fitness is the furthest away and is a 24/7 operation. The one closest is the Salvation Army- limited hours by comparison, a lot less exercise equipment in general, but they have a pool w/optional water aerobics classes. I can't swim, but the classes appeal to me for some reason...
Old 09-03-14, 09:47 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by no1mad
Today's update
Gotta lose some weight and trying to check out the two closest facilities closest to me. Anytime Fitness is the furthest away and is a 24/7 operation. The one closest is the Salvation Army- limited hours by comparison, a lot less exercise equipment in general, but they have a pool w/optional water aerobics classes. I can't swim, but the classes appeal to me for some reason...
See if you can get someone to take you around the facilities and show you everything ... and maybe even do a class ... before you decide.

When we moved to Hobart, we checked out a few facilities that way.

One took us around the place, and it was a labyrinth of tiny dark rooms and a small pool. They also kept going on about the program they would set up for us ... you will do this, you will do that ...

It didn't appeal to me. I like bright open places, and I like to be able to decide what I want to do.

Another ... we walked in and walked around the place ourselves, and at no point did a single staff member approach us. It didn't even look like there were any staff around. This was one of these 24/7 places, so I could understand there being no staff if it were 3 am, but this was about 6 pm, and the place was full of patrons. There was no desk, no sign indicating to ring for help, nothing. We left and never went back.

There was also the option of using my work gym, but it is in the basement of the building ... a dark hole ... and just doesn't have the facilities we wanted.

The one we went with appealed to us because it was bright and open, it has lots of facilities, it has lots of classes of various sorts, and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Old 09-03-14, 09:50 PM
In Real Life

Tiny walk today to the Metro Office to collect some new bus schedules.

Now that we have moved, I'm trying to figure out how to get to work and get home again as quickly and easily as possible.
Old 09-03-14, 09:57 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Posted earlier on my 'wall'.
Got a walk report for y'all. Home->USPS->intersection of Line & Main->Home. Data recorded by RunKeeper.
4.71 miles in 1:31:23 at 3.09 mph w/674 calories burned
Second walk report of the day using RunKeeper. Route: QT->Home.
2.07 miles in 39:43 at 3.13 mph w/305 calories burned.

This should put me about my average for the week, since I didn't walk on Monday or Tuesday.
I'm planning on at least 2 miles tomorrow, but most likely 6 and maybe even 8- depends on where the nurse injects me and how I feel afterwards.
Old 09-03-14, 10:10 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
See if you can get someone to take you around the facilities and show you everything ... and maybe even do a class ... before you decide.
Oh, I have toured both before, but it has been a few months and I wanted to see if there have been any updates/improvements.

That being said, I think that my wife would prefer that I explore options that require less financial commitments . To that end, I bought a cheap foam camp pad to use as a floor mat (tile flooring is hard and cold) and I still have a body ball I bought a few years ago when I took a Phys Ed course at the local CC. Basically, I'm planning on just adding stretching and core and isometric exercises to my walk regimen.
Old 09-03-14, 10:49 PM
vespertine member

I'm back to work-at-work and not just work-at-home, so there has been some commuting! For better or worse, my commute is pretty short, so I've felt the need to supplement my riding.

After work today, I decided to go on a 25 mile ride, but didn't feel like changing out of work clothes (not that I wear anything that spiffy). I always get a few looks road biking in a skirt...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.