Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got a new commuter bike... Cannondale CAADX

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 06:39 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts

No real pictures, just cell phone pictures. Sorry.

Instagram craziness:

I snagged up the last of the 2012 frames. They aren't doing this color for 2014 on any of the CAADX's. This is the 105 build and it's pretty fantastic. Bone stock it's a wonderful bike. I also wanted this one because I'm just not into the disc brake thing. For lots of folks, you'll like the 2014 build much better. They all go to disc for 2014 except for the base model 9-speed Sora.

I've had it for a couple of weeks and the only changes are the seatpost and adding full fenders. This is my first bike with full fenders and they are amazing. I had those quick mount half fenders on my other bike, and those only worked up to a certain point. I wanted to go with an old school touring/rando look, so I got hammered aluminum style. SOme of my bike buddies say they clash too much (different silvers) and some really dig it.

The tires are file tread with knobs on the side, 700x35's for actual CX/offroad type stuff. I will most likely get some fat road tires on there, and am open to suggestions. I plan on occasionally doing some light single track with it, so I want to save the stock tires for that.

The only real weak point is the wheels. Super heavy, very cheap. People also complain about the stock canti's. The key is 1) setting them up properly and 2) filing down the cheap stock pads to remove the outer plastic-like shell that won't stop anything. I've got it to where the from only squeals under super hard braking. Normal braking is silent.

In the future, I want to lace up a dyno hub and add some lights. I'm hoping to do some randonneuring in the future, and of course it will be a perfect touring platform.
Old 11-10-13, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Nicely done and I like the hammered fenders on there. I also like that this bike will be double/triple duty.
Old 11-10-13, 08:01 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would ride!!!

Very nice.
Old 11-10-13, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Nice bike. Like the picture of the white squirrel on your photobucket.
Old 11-11-13, 03:32 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Nice. I want one and I'm disappointed the silver is going away.
Old 11-11-13, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Klein Palomino, Planet X Kaffenback, Custom Bamboo build, 1964 Schwinn deluxe.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet!
what does the lay back post do for you?
Old 11-11-13, 04:08 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Nice! I also like the hammered fenders and the multiple uses of it.
Old 11-11-13, 08:06 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Thanks, all. Alex, I had the seatpost on my previous mountain bike, but kept it when I sold it. I also have one on my Bianchi. It's not really anymore setback than some straight posts that have setback, but the bend does give a little compliance over the rough stuff. However, I do currently have the saddle as far back as the marks allow. I probably need a longer stem. I haven't really investigated fit on this so far. It feels good, so I'm leaving it alone, mostly. On the Bianchi, I run the same seatpost, but a longer stem and the saddle isn't as far back (the frames measure very close to each other). Fore and aft of the saddle is important when riding clipless, so I'll take the time to look at it soon. As for now, it feels fine. Did a 25 mile ride the other day with no lingering knee issues.
Old 11-12-13, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Cannondale F400 & CAADX, Salsa El Mariachi 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done pal! I commute on a '13 CAADX and I love it. The stock cross tires were awful for puncture protection. Ended up with the 37mm Continental country tour plus. No flats but they are insanely heavy, look elsewhere for commuter tires.
Old 11-13-13, 02:13 PM

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Super nice ride. I have a red CAADX frameset waiting to be built into something similar. I'm thinking 5700 with all polished aluminum components.
Old 11-14-13, 01:16 AM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

The 105 stuff is great. Like, really great. But I don't like it. I've never had a strong preference for campy vs. shimano vs. sram until I put campy centaur on my Bianchi a couple of years ago. The feel of the ergo brifters just have this natural, flowing fit. The 105 is angular, and slightly bulky at some points, but it just works so darn well. Shifting and braking feels like using an appliance. It does exactly what I want it to, but I'm relatively unexcited by it. Getting back on the campy equipped bike is always a joy. Maybe down the line, I'll swap things out on the CAADX, but that certainly isn't in the budget at the moment. But as I said, it works perfectly well as it is.
Old 11-14-13, 09:08 AM
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fixed your attachments.

I love the hammered look, it works with your bike.

Old 11-14-13, 09:27 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I like it very much, and I like your ideas, too. I put a dynohub and headlight and tail light on my primary bike, and I love the setup. I run the lights day or night, because what the heck. I will keep an eye out for this model. It looks perfect.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-13, 02:27 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
It's not really anymore setback than some straight posts that have setback
You usually see the Thomson as being 10 degree setback. Most everything else has the setback measured in mm. I dug around on the Thomson site and found that they spec it at 16mm.
Old 11-18-13, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Could I ask what it weighs (and what size) without the mudguards?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-13, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Thanks, all. Alex, I had the seatpost on my previous mountain bike, but kept it when I sold it. I also have one on my Bianchi. It's not really anymore setback than some straight posts that have setback, but the bend does give a little compliance over the rough stuff. However, I do currently have the saddle as far back as the marks allow. I probably need a longer stem. I haven't really investigated fit on this so far. It feels good, so I'm leaving it alone, mostly. On the Bianchi, I run the same seatpost, but a longer stem and the saddle isn't as far back (the frames measure very close to each other). Fore and aft of the saddle is important when riding clipless, so I'll take the time to look at it soon. As for now, it feels fine. Did a 25 mile ride the other day with no lingering knee issues.
I'm no fit expert, but you generally shouldn't be moving the saddle fore/aft to adjust your reach, it is more about positioning your body correctly over the cranks/bb for balance, pedaling performance, etc... reach adjustments should be in the stem/bars and hopefully not too huge a leap from factory fit.

but it sounds like the fit its working for you, and that's great.

cool bike. I love that the industry is becoming more acceptant of big clearance road bikes again. not just "cyclocross" bikes either.
Old 11-19-13, 01:48 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

You're definitely right, which is why I said I probably just need to get a longer stem. Fore and aft should be set in regards to where you're clipping in. I'm just being lazy. And I probably want a new saddle, anyway. But you know, moneys.