Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Downtube shifter adapter for Cannondale?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 10:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've a pair of Shimano "105" or "705" (can't tell, for sure) downtube gearshift levers I want to mount on my aluminum Cannondale R-400. The 'dale has some square bosses that the threaded mounting tubes extend from. The Shimano's have curved plastic mounts made to work with a steel frame. The plastic Shimano mounts won't go on the 'dale frame. Can I just friction-mount the Shimanos on the 'dale? Since the levers will be working in friction mode, I'm worried that they'll pivot about the mount unless they're really torqued down. If friction mount is acceptable, what should I torque them down to? If not, what adapter do I need & where can I find one?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-05, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I've a pair of Shimano "105" or "705" (can't tell, for sure) downtube gearshift levers I want to mount on my aluminum Cannondale R-400. The 'dale has some square bosses that the threaded mounting tubes extend from. The Shimano's have curved plastic mounts made to work with a steel frame.
There are also replaceble flat ones that work with the Cdale frame. They use to be listed in the QBP catalogue. Maybe www.loosescrews.com has them.