Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New York to Boston?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New York to Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 01:38 PM

Bikes: fix gear beater 42 X 15, '85 Cannondale ST 500 for touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New York to Boston?

I'm planning to take Route 1 the whole way. Is this a bad idea? It looks great on a map, but I don't really know the area that well. It just seemed logical because I did Route 1 in California.

Probably silly logic, but I like surprises. What I don't like are fatal highways.

Thanks!

Colin
Old 03-10-05, 09:18 PM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend going more inland at least until Fairfield county, I think.
I haven't done NY-Boston, but here's my Boston-NY route, which
is certainly valid in reverse, except for my sketchiness directly north of the city.

I couldn't just find my map from a few years back which I had highlighted my
full route, but I found a planning turn chart I made on the computer.
It was like this, Boston- Fairfield County, which I
had ridden in before, so I improvised.

Try to take a look at this on a map, it's not too hard
and was more relaxing than any Rt. 1 ride.

Do plan out all of your turns with a map, unless you really
know an area. Bring a compass anyway...

Beacon St. to Watertown, "Watertown St."= Rt 16
16 to Uxbridge or at Wellesley Center
{135 to Upton (nicer than 16)
then south to Uxbridge on Pleasant St, Quaker, Church, then Oak.}

16 to Webster, then 197 all the way to 198 South.
Ditch 198 South where it merges with 6, go right
through Mansfield Center. Rest and have a bite.
Pick up 66 to Middletown. Take 17 south. ...Durham Center...
Wallingford Rd. West, .... 68 West... Church St...
Yalesville Rd....
South parallel to Rt. 8 on Rt. 42.
Derby. I began improvising at Derby, staying
away from going to Rt. 1.

Basically suburban back roads.
I finished that trip at Yonkers, but
I can find you other ways directly into the city.

PM me, I can fill in more details, especially south of Derby

Last edited by tvphobic; 03-10-05 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 02:58 AM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of those "Hello?" threads.
Old 03-14-05, 10:20 AM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvphobic
This is one of those "Hello?" threads.
Is it a BEAR hello thread, though?

As for Yonkers-NYC: I used to do this ride reasonably often... I always more or less followed the Bronx River Parkway, which has a path most of the way. I think... it's been a while!
Old 03-14-05, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This is the problem with maps in general. You never know what highways are under 40 mph until you get there and realize it's too fast for cycling. Get yourself a GPS and learn how to use it very well. If you find a highway that's too fast, simply make a new route with the GPS that's not as direct but may take you longer.
Old 03-14-05, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Is it a BEAR hello thread, though?

As for Yonkers-NYC: I used to do this ride reasonably often... I always more or less followed the Bronx River Parkway, which has a path most of the way. I think... it's been a while!

BRP vicinity is good for leaving from far Eastern Yonkers near Bronxville, which I call "third ridge"
The first ridge is right on the Hudson and was the initial residential section, mostly pretty poorly maintained until 3/4 mile north of Getty Square on Broadway. I live on the "second ridge" which tops out with the Saw Mill Parkway... its privileged geological position makes it harder to shoot straight to the city on a bike.

My path is down to Nepperhan, Linden, Van Cortlandt Pk Ave to Lawrence west to Broadway to the bridge,
West on 215th, (left) Seaman to the (right here) Riverside drive onramp, across the T, stairs to the, tada,
lovely westside bike path which makes ALL the difference in terms of making this hilly 15 mile one way really pleasant, in decent weather. Try it soon in either direction. If anyone want company on the commute, PM me.
Old 03-15-05, 06:05 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Route One is ugly, dangerous and car-infested the entire way. Don't do it.

Last edited by Blackberry; 03-15-05 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-15-05, 11:44 AM
BikeJunky

Bikes: Santa Cruz Superlight, Redline Proline 24, Felt F45, Fuji Cross Pro, Specalized M2 Stumpjumper, Surly CrossCheck, Atala track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackberry is on the money. You will be hard pressed to find a shoulder or even a sidewalk. Fast cars and trucks with many stores and business. Save yourself!
Old 03-19-05, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rte 1 in Connecticut from Branford, CT to the RI State line is OK with areas of congestion in New London, Groton and Westerly, RI, get a CT state bicycling map and it has parallel roads (156 and 184 for instance.)that are less trafficked and more scenic. These areas of congestion are short.

A more scenic route map east of New Haven is located here:

https://www.yale.edu/cycling/maps/guilford79_final.gif

RI is a different story, in the south, past the congestion of Westerly, Rte 1 is a wide shouldered 4 lane high speed (posted 50 but they do do more) road that is OK but again there are more scenic roads that parallel Rte 1. The RI state bicycling map has them on it.

From the second intersection of 138, Rte 1 is unknown to me, but I stongly would advise against using Rte 1 in between Wickford and past Quonset (and maybe north of that too I don't know) that is four lanes, absolutely no shoulder and cars will not give you a break at all.

Getting thru Providence is not within my riding territory and even though I have done it, it requires careful directions.

If you were curious about this area, I suggest you ask on the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen messageboard/forum

https://nbwclub.org/email_list.html

They just did a ride from Providence to Boston and someone somewhere in that club has map of it.

I don't really know, but I doubt Rte 1 is very friendly in parts between Providence and Boston?

Going straight across RI to SE Mass and then up the coast of Mass would be more enjoyable, but unfortunately the great state of RI forbids bicycle traffic on both bridges, but there are buses with infrequent schedules and a ferry that only addresses one bridge crossing.

The Charles River Wheelmen (Boston) has a library of cues sheets including this one:
https://www.crw.org/cgi-bin/cues2htm.pl?id=193

Which might be a route to Boston.

And Rte 1 in southern New England is not like Rte 1 In California!

Both state bicycling maps are available free on line from state DOTs.