Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New @ this...Need Help! Del Sol 6.1 ????

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am extremely excited to start cycling! I am, however, very new. I haven't ridden a bike in years. I do love taking spin classes at my local gym. I need your expertise on the particular bicycle I seen in my local bicycle shop. My husband and I are thinking of buying this brand:

Del Sol LXi 6.1 for $375 on sale on black Friday. Before we make that decision I need your expert opinions.

A little background info first. I am female, 31 years old. Overweight but I love the gym and am working on that. My hubby is also slightly overweight. Neither one of us have rode a bike since we were teenagers so we have a lot to learn and are excited to embark on a new journey. We will want to ride mainly on roads but some on gravel and hills, etc. I understand this is a hybrid bike. We do get to test it Friday.

On a side note, I had no idea bikes could be so expensive!!! I do not want to purchase a bike from XMart because I am serious about starting to ride. I also don't want to shell out a thousand dollars for one bike. At least, not yet.

Please, if any of you have any advice on whether or not I should purchase the Del Sol please respond. Thank you :-)
Old 11-27-13, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
First and foremost bike fit is the most important thing. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't like riding it. That said, the Del Sol is pretty adjustable.

If you can get the 7.1 version for just a little more, it might be worth it. Both would be good starter bikes, but don't be surprised if you start drooling over $2K bikes if you truly get the bug. As is often said, the prefect number of bikes is N+1 where N = the number of bikes you have now.

I'm not a big fan of suspension unless the bike is going to be used on rough trails. If you can find a bike without suspension, or maybe just front suspension (AKA hardtail), it could save you money.

Does the LBS have a web site? Maybe we could do some window shopping for you to see if there is anything that could fit your needs. I like spending other people's money!
Old 11-27-13, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
First and foremost bike fit is the most important thing. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't like riding it. That said, the Del Sol is pretty adjustable.

If you can get the 7.1 version for just a little more, it might be worth it. Both would be good starter bikes, but don't be surprised if you start drooling over $2K bikes if you truly get the bug. As is often said, the prefect number of bikes is N+1 where N = the number of bikes you have now.

I'm not a big fan of suspension unless the bike is going to be used on rough trails. If you can find a bike without suspension, or maybe just front suspension (AKA hardtail), it could save you money.

Does the LBS have a web site? Maybe we could do some window shopping for you to see if there is anything that could fit your needs. I like spending other people's money!
Thank you JerrySTL for your opinion. It truly helps! I do have the website but I do think that the most expensive bikes are posted there, lol. So, not sure if that would be of help.
Here goes: https://eastridgebicycles.net/
Old 11-27-13, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't even see the Del Sol on the website. I am now looking at the Giant Revel 3 for $450 but everything at this bike shop is 20% off on Friday and Sunday. Argh! Decisions!!!![h=2][/h]
Old 11-27-13, 06:25 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the Forums .

I didn't notice a link to the model in question, so here is the one for the 2014 model (unknown if any spec changed over '13- too lazy to look it up ) https://www.ridedelsol.com/bikes/luxury/lxi-6-1-2014.

Of course, I don't know if the Black Friday is on 2014 models they can still order or just limited to on hand 2013 models...
Old 11-27-13, 06:30 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asuna
I don't even see the Del Sol on the website. I am now looking at the Giant Revel 3 for $450 but everything at this bike shop is 20% off on Friday and Sunday. Argh! Decisions!!!!
I noticed that as well, but the LBS does show up on the Del Sol site when using the Search for Dealer function.

Personally, I'd be looking at a Giant Escape instead of a mountain or comfort bike. Reason being is that you mentioned that you like spin classes. While you won't be able to go "all out" due to the fact that you will have to pay more attention to what is going on around you- traffic, road conditions, wildlife, people, weather/wind (<- double digit headwinds suck)- the Escape line is geared more for the type of riding you claimed in your first post.
Old 11-27-13, 07:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I'd be looking at a Giant Escape instead of a mountain or comfort bike. Reason being is that you mentioned that you like spin classes. While you won't be able to go "all out" due to the fact that you will have to pay more attention to what is going on around you- traffic, road conditions, wildlife, people, weather/wind (<- double digit headwinds suck)- the Escape line is geared more for the type of riding you claimed in your first post.[/QUOTE]

I will add that on my list as well. Giant Escape 2. I looked at their fb website and it's 25% off of 2013 remaining bikes. At least I have some other options to look at thanks to you guys!
Old 11-27-13, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I found a pic here but very few specs. Tourney and Revo are pretty low-level components -- a few steps below Acera which is usually as low as you see on most big-brand hybrids. It would probably be suitable for easy rides on the MUP. Of course, on a MUP you probably don't need the suspension; and if you could find an unsuspended bike the money NOT poured into the front shock could be put toward better components.
Old 11-27-13, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Originally Posted by asuna
I don't even see the Del Sol on the website. I am now looking at the Giant Revel 3 for $450 but everything at this bike shop is 20% off on Friday and Sunday. Argh! Decisions!!!!
The Revel 3 is a mountain bike. You might be better served with the Giant Sedona DX. There's a women's version, but avoid it unless it fits really well.

The Giant Escape 2 is a nice looking bike. It's more expensive and doesn't have suspension, but has much better components and frame. For $150 more, you get a nicer bike.
Old 11-27-13, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I scratched the Mt bike off, lol. So far I have Del Sol, Giant Escape 2 and Giant Sedona. Now, it is whichever is actually in the shop on Friday as what's on their website isn't all necessarily in their shop and vice versa. I am really liking the Escape 2 though. We shall see. Lol, I am so excited about starting. Wished Friday would hurry and get here.

Last edited by asuna; 11-27-13 at 10:04 PM. Reason: grammer ugh
Old 11-29-13, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
The Revel 3 is a mountain bike. You might be better served with the Giant Sedona DX. There's a women's version, but avoid it unless it fits really well.

The Giant Escape 2 is a nice looking bike. It's more expensive and doesn't have suspension, but has much better components and frame. For $150 more, you get a nicer bike.
I went to the bike shop wanting the Giant Escape 2 but unfortunately they were out of stock in a medium frame. I did get the Giant Sedona and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. My hubby also got one. Then, we went and spent $300 on accessories. He is now mounting the rack on our SUV. I am so glad I came to this site. My hubby rode the Del Sol first because he is easy to please and it was cheaper. I rode the Sedona. I told him to try out the Sedona and he said, "Oh yeah", as we were riding in the neighborhood behind the bike shop. He said it rode better.

I will be honest, the first time I got on the bike I was shaky (hey, I'm a little overweight and haven't rode a bike since I was a teenager) but after a minute It was so smooth. I was laughing and smiling like a little girl again. So again, THANK YOU for your expertise.
Old 11-29-13, 11:45 AM

Congrats! I hope two of the accessories were helmets. Hopefully the weather will stay good enough that you can ride some this year.
Old 11-29-13, 04:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes! Helmets were first.