Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Snapped my chain!!! Less than 100 miles...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Snapped my chain!!! Less than 100 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsigone
how do you like the warbird? I was heavily considering building up the alum version of it
Oh man...I'm loving this bike so far...for me it's a huge step up, fits me very well; I'm trying to narrow down to the right saddle at the moment. It's a fast bike... At first when I was getting on it I'd just pop wheelies, I need to really lean over on it when taking off. I've got 4 more pounds to go to break 200 pounds and I'm going to make that happen before the end of the year.

I'd like to be down to 190 by April...I've signed up for a charity Century and I'd like to run my own 100 miler solo prior...

I'm probably going to swap out the crank for a Sugino Compact+ OX901D. I need more low gears. There are some steep inclines around here at certain points. Highbridge Park has a good one and coming back up through Inwood has a goodie, going up the Hudson Valley things get more hilly as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll need it. I nearly spun out the 46x11 on a slope on the West Side as well...So, I may go with the 48x32. right now the 46x30 or 46x32 are the contenders. I'm wondering in my mind what the impact upon shifting is going to be...it seems going to 46x30 would make the drop equivalent to 3 RD shifts versus 2 right now...
Old 12-05-13, 07:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
Man! You're tough on chains! There are so many little nicks in that chain that it is hard to believe that it only has 100 miles on it. It looks well and long used.

---
Ya think? I'm scratching my head here... Maybe it's the picture. The chain pretty much looked okay... The LBS guys were very confident that it was a manufacturers defect after inspecting the pin-head.

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 12-07-13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 07:51 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Thanks for this, I'll add it to the onboard kit...

I figure the KMC "Missing Link" will do the trick?:

will work fine... I've got one of them on a chain... I prefer the sram as I can get them apart without tools... but I think the 10 speed stuff is all supposed to be a single use/disposable item *rollseyes* i'm a cheapo and will stick to my 9spd stuff for a while longer lol
Old 12-06-13, 12:01 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
will work fine... I've got one of them on a chain... I prefer the sram as I can get them apart without tools... but I think the 10 speed stuff is all supposed to be a single use/disposable item *rollseyes* i'm a cheapo and will stick to my 9spd stuff for a while longer lol
I've been using the KMC and SRAM links on all my bikes for several years now, (all 10-spds). (Makes it very easy to remove a chain for cleaning.) No problems at all. My newest bike is an 11-spd, but I think the quick link will still work. Gonna try at least.
Old 12-06-13, 12:24 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
I've been using the KMC and SRAM links on all my bikes for several years now, (all 10-spds). (Makes it very easy to remove a chain for cleaning.) No problems at all. My newest bike is an 11-spd, but I think the quick link will still work. Gonna try at least.
a quick search and it looks like the KMC is reusable but sram says the powerlock (10spd version of the quicklink) should be replaced

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ck-269672.html
Old 12-08-13, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Thanks for this, I'll add it to the onboard kit...

I figure the KMC "Missing Link" will do the trick?:

only if you also have a chain tool to remove the rest of the link.
Old 12-08-13, 04:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
only if you also have a chain tool to remove the rest of the link.

Looking at my multi tool I think I have that covered; I was wondering what this is for:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (98.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-08-13, 04:54 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at my multi tool I think I have that covered; I was wondering what this is for:

And, yet, you walked?
:facepalm, shaking head, inhaling through nose and exhaling through puffed cheeks:
Old 12-08-13, 04:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
And, yet, you walked?
:facepalm, shaking head, inhaling through nose and exhaling through puffed cheeks:
Kinda useless without a quick/missing link? Facts, they're your friend. (Besides...I rode...the subway!!! )

edit-

Ahhhh...Well, I was rolling nude that day (no multi-tool)...seems that I coulda popped the effected links and rejoined them with the chain breaker...

What's the purpose of the quick links if you need a chain breaker to begin with? Seems like a quick link isn't necessary at all as long as you have the chain breaker...

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 12-08-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 05:41 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kinda useless without a quick/missing link? Facts, they're your friend. (Besides...I rode...the subway!!! )

edit-

Ahhhh...Well, I was rolling nude that day (no multi-tool)...seems that I coulda popped the effected links and rejoined them with the chain breaker...

What's the purpose of the quick links if you need a chain breaker to begin with? Seems like a quick link isn't necessary at all as long as you have the chain breaker...
Oh mate.

I haven't got time right now for the full history lesson.

But, the chain tools predate quick links.

Used to be. Back in the olden days. In the before time. Link pins extended beyond the side plate and could be pressed in and out, more or less at will. Using one of those tools, like you have.

But, as the number of gears in the back incresed, the chains had to grow narrower. Rather than reduce the internal width, the external width was minimized. Resulting in less and less pin protrusion and ultimately pins that are peened in place. These pins can not be revomed and replaced without significant loss in link strength. They create little fissures in the sideplate when they are extracted.

To allow for the assembly of such chains two systems have been employed, quick links, and in the case of Shimano special hardened and slightly oversized "connecting pins".

So, the purpose of the chain tool in this day and age is to either break a link for the purposes of shortening a chain upon initial installation, insert a Shimano "connecting pin" into a chain that is being rejoined or in your case extract the remaining half link.

Whether you would be able to successfully remove a full link and temporarily rejoin the chain with one of the original peened pins I am not sure of. I suspect it would be very difficult to get the mushroomed end back into the opposite outerplate. Like wise, unlike the old style pins that would simply slide out of the inner half link, the peened pins sometimes (but not always) need to be extracted through the inner link. Hence my earlier comments about the use of whatever road side debris I could find to assit with this, in preparation for use of quick link. Fact is, I think the sideplate of my Rap6 multitool has a little slot in it that would probably provide adequate leverage. But, a nail and a reasonable rock would work just as well.

Keep at it, you learn and figure this stuff out. I've got a lot of years of true back country mountain biking and secondary road riding behind me.

Last edited by bigfred; 12-08-13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 05:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh mate..........

..........Keep at it, you learn and figure this stuff out. I've got a lot of years of true back country mountain biking and secondary road riding behind me.
Thanks again Big...that made a lot of sense. Chain design has been compromised structurally in order to accommodate more cogs it seems...I'll just add a quick link to the kit (along with the multi-tool) to cover this kind of contingency.
Old 12-08-13, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Whether you would be able to successfully remove a full link and temporarily rejoin the chain with one of the original peened pins I am not sure of. I suspect it would be very difficult to get the mushroomed end back into the opposite outerplate. Like wise, unlike the old style pins that would simply slide out of the inner half link, the peened pins sometimes (but not always) need to be extracted through the inner link. Hence my earlier comments about the use of whatever road side debris I could find to assit with this, in preparation for use of quick link. Fact is, I think the sideplate of my Rap6 multitool has a little slot in it that would probably provide adequate leverage. But, a nail and a reasonable rock would work just as well.
When I have broken a 10 speed chain with the chain tool, the peened portion breaks off and there appears to be a little donut shaped piece of metal because it shears off the peaned portion. I think that the old rivet will insert back into the chain plate. I would think that removing a link and rejoining the chain would be possible but you would need to figure out which pin needs to be replaced later since it would be unsafe to continue to ride any distance with this unpeened pin. Maybe if you could scratch and mark the chain links on either side of the bad pin, you could use this as an emergency repair. There is a park chain tool that can peen the pin and folds to be portable.
Old 12-17-13, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The singular form should be 'velominato', not that I endorse all that silliness.
Are you sure it isn't velominatus?
Old 12-17-13, 01:45 PM
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Of course I didn't roll my steed along, but hefted it upon my shoulder as manly vanity and pride demand...

You, my good sir, have my adoration and respect.

I had a belt in my tire shift on my old Roadie, Gertie. I had to carry my bike as I walked because the tire wouldn't clear the brakes. Sadly old Gertie got smashed a few hours later, but that last "ride" was her enjoying the view from my shoulders. Definitely no shame as I walked in lycra, bike hoisted on my shoulder, in broad daylight, and as it started to rain.

And also surprised they didn't arrest you for riding around with those loaded guns on you....
Old 12-17-13, 04:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
You, my good sir, have my adoration and respect.

And also surprised they didn't arrest you for riding around with those loaded guns on you....
lmao... we ain't supposed to talk about that other part!