Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

55 bicycles confiscated by Charleston SC Police for illegal parking

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

55 bicycles confiscated by Charleston SC Police for illegal parking

Old 12-08-13, 06:36 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
For my part, why would I want a rack vs.my VIP parking privileges?
If businesses encourage you to bring your bike inside, and if there is an adequate and secure location to lock your bike to, more power to you. In my locale, most businesses are sensitive to a cyclist bringing their bike into the store, much less parking it inside.
Old 12-08-13, 07:01 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
If businesses encourage you to bring your bike inside, and if there is an adequate and secure location to lock your bike to, more power to you. In my locale, most businesses are sensitive to a cyclist bringing their bike into the store, much less parking it inside.
EZ bike parking is just one fringe benefit of everyday riding in an area where few do. It's also amazing what a smile and friendly attitude can do.

OTOH- the Freedom of the bathroom analogy applies. If enough people start biking (utility) businesses will probably rethink their rules.

I only posted to make the point that bike friendliness shouldn't be measured by bike parking capacity. Lack of parking capacity may reflet lack of demand or interest. In the long run, it's the actual attitudes and effects that count, not the infracture per se.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-09-13, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
Installed at the request of business's... https://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/07/02...parking-spots/
You also make intersections more visible for pedestrians.
Old 12-10-13, 07:45 PM
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know enough about the bicycle parking/sidewalk congestion issue in Charleston to comment either way about that. That's why I limited my comments to the unintended (at least I hope so) consequences of some types of bicycle advocacy.

You have to be careful what you ask for, lest you get it ---- and are forced to use it.
A lot of sidewalks are very narrow in Charleston with a very large amount of foot traffic. I've seen bicycles block the sidewalk near the Old Slave Market that would make it impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get by. Residential places like near the battery and Rainbow Row hate it when cyclist are chaining their bikes to posts right in front of their house or business.

Here's an example of what they are trying to stop and it only took me a minute to find this on google maps.
https://goo.gl/maps/mIWa4

It would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get past that one bike parked right at the door of that business.
Old 12-10-13, 07:48 PM
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I should also add that getting around Charleston on a bike is awesome and the way to do it. Even if you got to walk 1/4 mile (about a 4 minute walk for most people), it's still far better then driving your car and finding a parking spot.
Old 12-10-13, 08:48 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
A lot of sidewalks are very narrow in Charleston with a very large amount of foot traffic. I've seen bicycles block the sidewalk near the Old Slave Market that would make it impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get by. Residential places like near the battery and Rainbow Row hate it when cyclist are chaining their bikes to posts right in front of their house or business.

Here's an example of what they are trying to stop and it only took me a minute to find this on google maps.
https://goo.gl/maps/mIWa4

It would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get past that one bike parked right at the door of that business.
As I said, I don't know the local situation, and not being a resident don't have a dog in the fight. There are two issues, a city planning and traffic management issue, which is a local matter. And the enforcement/public notice issue, which here was a good example of how not to run a city.

I don't hold to the notion that bicycles should be able to lock up anywhere, anymore than cars can. But I don't support solutions until/unless there's a real problem, then I believe that citizens deserve to be treated with respect.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.