Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bentech recumbents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bentech recumbents

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 03:09 AM
aspiring wannabe

Bikes: trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bentech recumbents

Is there anyone here that is using a Bentech LWB or has built one???

really keen on getting one, not sure on plans or built frame ...

how do they ride?
are you happy with it?
Old 03-12-05, 07:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bentechbikes.com/buildrs3.htm

I do not own a Bentech LWB. I own a recumbent Catrike Road with a long boom for extra tall guys.

The Bentech and Catrike are similar in that they are recumbents and have much in common except I have three wheels vice two. I am 76 inches tall and find the extra length option superb in a Catrike and you will too in a Bentech. They are more comfortable and one can ride longer in the saddle.

I love my recumbent and you should too with the Bentech.

Catrike Road #116
"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown
LWB.
Old 03-12-05, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Wow, I never realized that a Bentech and a Catrike were almost exactly the same!!! The ONLY difference I can think of is that there's lots of Catrikes around and very few Bentechs. LOL! I can't think of who it is at the moment, but there is a Bentech owner here in Michigan, who has ridden his for years. Can't remember if I see him at the HPRA rally at Waterford Hills, or the Vinyard Classic ride in the fall... At any rate, he seems to enjoy it.

For a first building project, I think something like this would be easier and result in a pretty nice-riding bike. Using cast-off DFs simplifies the building quite a bit.

Here is a pic of my homebuilt. Not quite the same building technique as the one at the link above, but you can easily see its lineage. This one is very rideable; and even with some pretty junky parts on it, it's surprisingly fast.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-12-05 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add a pic
Old 03-14-05, 12:08 PM
hmBldr

Bikes: Home Built recycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have any brazing or welding experience, you can easily make one yourself from junk bikes. I've made 10 bikes and trikes to date, after buying a cheap mig welder from Harbour Freight tools 2 years ago. Patience, some basic tools, and a willingness to experiment and learn as you go are the only requirements. Similar designs and techniques are available for free on the web, or buying these simple plans are a good way get started.

Darren