Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

antifog for goggles.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

antifog for goggles.

Old 12-14-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
antifog for goggles.

I wear a single-lens set of goggles (I got them at a surplus store. Some kind of cheap ski-type goggles) and use a rub-on antifog agent that doesn't seem to work real well once I start perspiring. Does anyone have an antifog regimen that they swear by?

Should I try a different agent? A different lens material (mine is some kind of polycarbonate)?
Old 12-14-13, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I stumbled across double-lens ski goggles. I may give those a try.
Old 12-14-13, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by trafficdancer
I wear a single-lens set of goggles (I got them at a surplus store. Some kind of cheap ski-type goggles) and use a rub-on antifog agent that doesn't seem to work real well once I start perspiring. Does anyone have an antifog regimen that they swear by?

Should I try a different agent? A different lens material (mine is some kind of polycarbonate)?

Originally Posted by trafficdancer
Hey, I stumbled across double-lens ski goggles. I may give those a try.
I am a decades-long year-round, eyglass-wearing cycle-commuter in Boston, for a one-way distance of 14 miles to as low as 0° F. I've tried everything proposed in numerous threads to prevent dangerous fogging.

IMO forget the anti-fogging agents and (supposedly) well-sealed ski goggles, and opt for better-ventilated (and cheap) goggles as described in this post on the recent thread Cold Protection for Eyes…

The problems that I think are unique to cyclists, in comparison with cross country and downhill skiers, and snowmobilers is that when we ride we are breathing hard, as a cross-country skier might, but we encounter a faster oncoming wind to dissipate the moist exhalations.

Conversely, I'm pretty sure we are more forcefully exhaling a greater volume of warm moist air than downhill skiers and snowmobilers, but we do not necessarily share the faster oncoming wind effect, especially when going up hill with a further increased burden of exhaled warm moist air to disperse.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-14-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-14-13, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Jim!
Old 12-14-13, 01:40 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Clarity Defog It

https://www.amazon.com/Clarity-Defog-...og+it+care+kit

Does need to be re-applied regularly, but I think all anti fogs do; Clarity has a DefogIt impregnated microfiber towel that might be handy to keep in a coat pocket, or bag, or whatever.
Old 12-14-13, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The technique i use is to remove my double lenses goggles every time i stop, start riding then put them back on a few seconds later. Works perfectly. While riding the wind prevent fogging. Mine are safety goggles so i have some room to move them up when i don't need them not sure it will works with bigger ski goggles.

Last edited by erig007; 12-14-13 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Take it from a old skin-diver. Saliva is your best bet. Cheap, effective and always at hand.
Old 12-14-13, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ebayed a pair of Smith Optics Monashee goggles. Tried finding goggles locally but they all have tinted/mirrored lenses. Does me no good because I leave the house before sunup.
Old 12-15-13, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Cut a white potato…..Rub it on the inside of the lens.

Or

Drink water, rinse, swallow.
Spit in your hand.
Rub your spit on the inside of the lens.

Both old tricks from scuba diving.
Old 12-15-13, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.....where does a diver keep a potato? One of my favorite jokes has a punchline about potatoes in the back of a swimsuit.
Old 12-15-13, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Take it from a old skin-diver. Saliva is your best bet. Cheap, effective and always at hand.
spit, potato, and special sprays, all work on the same principle. They reduce surface tension, which encorages water to form a film over the surface, instead of droplets, which scatters light less than droplets do. Spit works okay, on glass, which has a low surface tension to begin with. It doesn't work well on modern plastics, which has higher surface tensions. It also washes off quikly.

I've used a bunch of these, and haven't found one that's spectacular. There's a lot of variation based on the surface they're going on, too, so what works great on one visor might not work as well on another.