Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

need bike help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

need bike help

Old 03-12-05, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need bike help

Hi I am going to get a new bike because my old bike is not working anymore it was roadmaster mtn.sport sx. it was almost three years old. The brands i am thinking of getting are a huffy a next or a mongoose also i haven't decided if i want dual or front suspension i would probably be putting a rear rack on it.
Another thing i wanted to get is a schwinn speedometer i was wondering how these things work?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 03-12-05, 01:35 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 5 .2015 trek Superfly 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice would be to buy from a bike shop... The cheapest bike at a bike shop is still alot better than the most exspensive bike at a department store. and you get better components, fit, service, and a overall better bike riding experience.
Good luck and enjoy...
Old 03-12-05, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decent full suspension bikes are 1000$+, get a hardtail (front suspension). Don't get a department store bike, they aren't good plus they hardly fix any problem on the bike. Go to your local bike shop and see which ones you like. It'd help if you told us your budget.
Old 03-12-05, 04:02 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In general $200-220 at a bike shop will get you a decent front suspension (hardtail) mountain bike that will be suitable for mobbing around town and casual trail riding.

If you want something more hardcore, and designed to handle bigger and harder trails, then the cost goes up from there...if you want to do jumps and downhill/freeride, those start to get real pricey.

Downside to the dept store bikes are a)lack of support after the sale b)non standard parts makes repair difficult if not econimically viable c)You have no clue WHO assembled them.

Bonus to bike shops bikes are the exact opposites...you know who assembled it, they do support it after the sale, and standardized and readily availible parts exist for the bikes they sell.
Old 03-12-05, 07:22 PM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree,go to a shop. A good less expensive alternative to buying a trek or something like that is an Iron Horse or a Marin.Iron Horse is low grade for a bike, but its way better than a department store bike.Next makes P.O.S. bikes,they may look nice in the store but you will have problems soon after a few rides.Check out a Galyans if you have one nearby,they offer a free tune-ups for one year and offer free lifetime adjustments(brakes,gears,lube,tightening stuff down).They sell the Marin and Iron Horse.

Its the best bang for your buck.
Old 03-13-05, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the store today and i was thinking of getting a mongoose dualsuspension xr200 for around $160.00 dollars what do you think of this bike
Thanks.
Old 03-13-05, 11:52 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikersteve
I went to the store today and i was thinking of getting a mongoose dualsuspension xr200 for around $160.00 dollars what do you think of this bike
Thanks.
Leave Walmart and go to a real bike shop
Old 03-14-05, 04:06 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
And you'll be glad to front him any extra money that entails, right?
Old 03-14-05, 07:22 AM
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikersteve
Thanks.
https://bikesrnottoys.com/
This is a good information stie to help you with your descision.
Old 03-14-05, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IF you want a useful bike which can carry stuff around on a rack, dont get a dual suspension bike. Your Mongoose bike only lasted 3 years, because the shop where you got it didnt do any service on it. Go to a bike shop near you and pay a bit more for a bike without any fancy do-dads, and keep going back to that shop to get things adjusted (and ask them to show you how). That bike will never wear out.
Old 03-14-05, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy the Mongoose you will regret it. Like the others that have posted do not buy low budget department store bikes, they are worthless. A friend of mine has one and you know that thing is a tank, it has faulty parts, and the gearing an outrage. Either wait and save some more money and buy a LBS bike or check around the recycler. Sometimes you can get something pretty nice for cheap. I know that the Mongoose looks like a decent bike but looks are deceiving and don't ever consider a Huffy. But if you don't really care about the quality then go for it. I wouldn't do it and that's my opinion.