Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Am I foolish for wanting to patronise a given bike shop?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Am I foolish for wanting to patronise a given bike shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 05:16 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
Looks real sweet. Love those SLK cranks with the beefy 46t ring plus I spy a23s wheels! The fit setup looks good too
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 12-21-13, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Looks real sweet. Love those SLK cranks with the beefy 46t ring plus I spy a23s wheels! The fit setup looks good too
Thanks!! (And for all the advice in PM. ) I'm stoked, and getting it for WAY less locally than the (2014s) were going for on Backcountry was the absolute icing on the cake.

Came with VelocityA23s, and the cranks are HUGE. Climbing standing is going to take some getting used to (probably the high bottom bracket), but with the 130mm stem on it, I'm pretty comfy and stretched out -- especially with the drop. I'm still shocked that I fit on a 56cm frame at my height, but the advice I got to go find a good LBS and trust the fitter appears to have worked out pretty well.

It climbs SO much easier than the Trek, sitting or standing. Can't wait for a bit of better weather and to take it out for a bit longer of a ride and up into the Sandias.
Old 12-21-13, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
congrats, nice looking bike
Old 12-22-13, 05:07 AM
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"One in particular has absolutely stood out as the best I've found in town" ....................There you go, get the bike that rides best for you.
Old 12-23-13, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Depending on your definition of "local" I guess I'm pretty fortunate for someone living in a small town of 20,000. I have a small dealer about 20 miles away that sells Trek but understandably has a very limited inventory. Forty miles away there's a large Trek/Specialized dealer. 65 miles, depending on direction, gets me multiple Cannondale (small & large), Trek, Specialized. Raleigh, Felt, Cervelo, Litespeed, etc. Several of the 65 mile radius dealers have been very helpful thus far answering questions, offering to fit, etc. I bought Cannondale hybrids for my wife and me from one of them. I'm hoping to buy myself a road bike in the near future and the leading candidates are Cannondale Synapse and Trek Domane. In my heart, I'd like to buy from the closest Trek dealer, but I know he won't be able to fit me to an in-stock bike and my conscience won't let me order through him after someone else does all the fitting work. And I think I like the Cannondale slightly better, though if I hit the lottery, I might go for the Litespeed or Cervelo!

Old 12-26-13, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by peckma
Kudos for wanting to patronize your local LBS. I faced a decision earlier this year: the bike I wanted was not carried by my preferred LBS. I explained the situation to the owner, who said "we appreciate every dollar you spend here, even if it's just a dollar." Bought the bike at another shop, and had its breakin service done there. But, from there on forward, I take it to my preferred LBS for service, parts, etc.

Keep in mind: a bike purchase is a one shot deal. Bike maintenance, parts and apparel are an on-going relationship.
This is exactly what I'm in the midst of doing... The bike I wanted, my favorite LBS did not carry it. However, the LBS that carried it is no where near as good and service oriented as my favorite LBS. So bought the bike and planned to do the same after the break-in service period, use my favorite LBS there afterwards... Actually, after I purchased my bike, I headed directly to my favorite LBS with my new bike in tow. Confessed my sin of cheating on them, asked for forgiveness, and then bought all of my accessories (wireless computer, water cage, saddle bag & repair kit, and clipless pedals for my new bike. They wholeheartedly understood, forgave me and happily installed all of my accessories onto my new ride..

Last edited by dhender02; 12-27-13 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepseahawk
"One in particular has absolutely stood out as the best I've found in town" ....................There you go, get the bike that rides best for you.
Well.

There were lots of bikes. I ended up more with the bike /shop/, especially for this bike.
Old 01-03-14, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb question. Is the Ridley a 'Cross bike? If it is I'm told to go 1 size smaller on a 'Cross bike. If it is then the smaller frame may just be the ticket.

Nice ride BTW. Love the colors and graphics. Trumps my Roubaix,s black with white lettering (12 Elite Apex). Now that we have the obligitory garage door shot you are now cleared to ride the snot out of it. Congrats on a real nice ride.

Mark Shuman