Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton vs. Helios fold

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton vs. Helios fold

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Nice choice. The is one slick looking bike. Enjoy!!
Thanks! I see you have a Riv Sam Hillborne. I have an earlier version of that bike, the Bleriot. Don't tell the Riv Bunch I bought a bike with carbon and low-spoke-count wheels!
Old 12-20-13, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by smallwheeler
definitely cool, but i hope you didn't really pay 1400usd for it...

Thor and I came to a reasonable price, but I gotta tell ya..admonishing a buyer after the fact that he may have paid too much isn't an especially useful comment. Just so's you know.
Old 12-20-13, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Thor and I came to a reasonable price, but I gotta tell ya..admonishing a buyer after the fact that he may have paid too much isn't an especially useful comment. Just so's you know.
point taken. not my business. apologies.

however, you did start this thread asking about a general comparison between the brompton and helios bikes. you never mentioned that you were contemplating buying a vintage-limited-edition-rolf-wheel-carbon-ultra-xx-with-special-sauce until, in fact, you'd already bought it. had the actual particulars of the specific bike you were thinking of buying been included by you in this thread, i think the ensuing dialogue would have been decidedly different.

for what it's worth, over the past ten years i've owned 5 different dahon bikes. of those, the helios and the presto were, in my opinion, the best overall- better than the mu p8 and better than the curve, respectively.
Old 12-20-13, 10:27 PM

point taken. not my business. apologies.

however, you did start this thread asking about a general comparison between the brompton and helios bikes. you never mentioned that you were contemplating buying a vintage-limited-edition-rolf-wheel-carbon-ultra-xx-with-special-sauce until, in fact, you'd already bought it. had the actual particulars of the specific bike you were thinking of buying been included by you in this thread, i think the ensuing dialogue would have been decidedly different.

for what it's worth, over the past ten years i've owned 5 different dahon bikes. of those, the helios and the presto were, in my opinion, the best overall- better than the mu p8 and better than the curve, respectively.
No worries.

The conversation started with me believing Thor's Helios was a 16-inch-wheeler like the Brompton, then went several different directions. After at first dismissing the idea upon learning it was a 20-incher, I decided to email Thor for the folded dimensions of his XX. His numbers - especially the width with pedals removed - lead me to the conclusion that I could probably make this work, so I'm taking the chance.

I like the idea and style of Bromptons, but I'm not entirely sold on the prices, weight, or drivetrains. I'd like my little-bike light, with derailleurs and quick release wheels for easy service on the road. I'm also interested in having one bike that isn't in the heavier steel mode I usually follow. I don't have any carbon/alu/low-spoke-count-wheel roadie type bikes, so this should cover that base pretty well. Plus..it just looks cool!

Last edited by Joe Remi; 12-20-13 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
The deed is done! It's a 20-incher, but I bought Thor's Helios XX anyway. Just too much carbon and aluminum all wrapped up in one ridiculously light and rare model. I had to have it!

Whoa! Nice!!! Great to see that a forum member picked up that specific bike. Thor did a really great job on that bike.

Now then... you know what would be the PERFECT thing to do to that bike since you own it now? It would be great if it had a set of black Sun CR-18 20" rims with black DT Swiss spokes and Schwalbe Kojaks on them! ...and guess what? I already HAVE this set for you!

Just let me know your address and we can swap our wheel sets! You'll have these SWEET rims and I'll take those Rolf wheels of your hands! DEAL?
Old 12-21-13, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by darukhan
Whoa! Nice!!! Great to see that a forum member picked up that specific bike. Thor did a really great job on that bike.

Now then... you know what would be the PERFECT thing to do to that bike since you own it now? It would be great if it had a set of black Sun CR-18 20" rims with black DT Swiss spokes and Schwalbe Kojaks on them! ...and guess what? I already HAVE this set for you!

Just let me know your address and we can swap our wheel sets! You'll have these SWEET rims and I'll take those Rolf wheels of your hands! DEAL?
Old 12-21-13, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Folders, MTB's, Road bikes, Omafiets

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strida is barely a decent bike and folds longitudinally
Long & thin does have some advantages:-) ( as well as from 'Roll when folded') ...

as for 'decent' well each to their own
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
strida_in_tesla.jpg (21.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
Strida5 on train.jpg (18.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-21-13, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Human_Amplifier
Long & thin does have some advantages:-) ( as well as from 'Roll when folded') ...

as for 'decent' well each to their own
I like Stridas, and suspect it would fit in a Fiat Cabrio through the trunk pass-through quite easily. I was looking for more gears for this project, but I've always been curious about these bikes and suspect I'll own one eventually.
Old 12-21-13, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well played Smallwheeler.... well played sir.
Old 12-29-13, 02:22 AM

I got my Helios Friday and it's very cool..and crazy light! It's huge fun to ride, very maneuverable and nothing like the steel Dahon Speeds I've owned. There's a softness/whippiness to the frame that reminds me of a long-wheelbase recumbent. I'm sure the Pantour suspension hub contributes to this sensation as well. I dig it, but I suspect a lot of riders of current folders would be a little startled by this design. It's fun, and different.