Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I know nothing and would like some advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the site and biking in general, but I'm looking for a nice bike to get around town and to my University (parking sucks). I've found a bike on Craigslist, but I have no idea if I'm going to get ripped off. It looks to be in great shape, the owner says it's just to big for him. Below is the description:

Very lightweight. Frame is clear coated raw metal, 60cm- standover height is 34". Origin8 700c flipflop rims with brand new Hutchinson nitro whitewall tires. Fuji seat, new chain, origin8 stem, and fairly new grips. Wellgo pedals with white toe clips. Sealed bottom bracket. Has rear axle tensioners.

He's asking 300. Is this a good deal? I can post pics if needed

Thanks!!
Old 12-26-13, 07:44 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Size is most important.

What is you Cycling Inseam?

https://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/

How can anyone tell anything about the bike without good pics?

Old 12-26-13, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
maybe your 1st bike shud be a beater, 'specially at school where it can be vandalized and ripped off. where are you?
Old 12-26-13, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well heres the pics. From what I've looked into it, the size seems about right, with me being 6'2. But Ill look into the cycling inseam as well Thanks!
Old 12-26-13, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im at the University of Florida. I dont mind it being a beater, I just don't want to dish out $300 as a broke college student to find out its worth more for scrap haha
Old 12-26-13, 08:50 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If you do get it (and I'm not remotely endorsing this selection), do add some brakes to the thing.
Old 12-26-13, 08:52 PM
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by cjoiner93
Im at the University of Florida. I dont mind it being a beater, I just don't want to dish out $300 as a broke college student to find out its worth more for scrap haha
$125 without brakes..

Old 12-26-13, 09:02 PM
Galveston County Texas

You need a 59 cm to 61 cm size and some more$$

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/bid/4253827626.html

Has a rear brake

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/bik/4241011537.html

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-26-13 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Great bike if you perform in a circus. For commuting, not so much.
Old 12-26-13, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm partial to the mid 80's to 90's rigid mountain bikes like this one; https://gainesville.craigslist.org/bik/4249679821.html. This one might be a little on the small side but test ride it anyway.

Also check out some local bike shops and see if they sell used. They may be a little on the expensive side, but you can almost be guaranteed it's in very good working condition. Your area may also have bike co-ops as well.
Old 12-26-13, 10:29 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by cjoiner93
Well heres the pics.
This being the commuting forum, you are likely to get a lot of very practical advice and not much that will help you be cool. You should try the single speed and fixed gear forum if you want to know that's a good value or hot, or not. But since that's a bike for being cool, it will get little love down here. We're more likely to tell you it's silly and expensive and to get a 20 year old mountain bike, which is how you get the most features for the least money.
Old 12-26-13, 11:02 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That bike is overpriced. You can do a lot better on CL.
Old 12-26-13, 11:20 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Idea: squash the CL scene for a moment and check out what the school has- https://www.surplus.ufl.edu/
Old 12-27-13, 04:26 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
That's a cool enough looking bike, but if you're new to cycling, it's probably not a very good choice.

The big problem I'm seeing is that the rims don't have polished sidewalls - which means that if you put brakes on the front or rear, you'll end up with ugly black streaks at best and damaged rims or brake failure at worst. In my opinion, even a fixed gear bike should have a front brake at minimum. So, that nice bike just got a lot more expensive.

Although I'm a fixed gear enthusiast, it's not clear that it's a good choice for people new to cycling: unless you're an athlete with a lot of leg strength already, riding without gears or the ability to coast can be a bad time. (I want you to love cycling and have a good time.) Something like what moochems suggested might be good. I generally think that vintage road bikes from the 70s and 80s are great starter bikes: they still have a bit of the cool factor, and you can easily do a single speed/fixed gear conversion later on.
Old 12-27-13, 04:31 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Campus security cuts locks and clears bike racks of bikes abandoned by graduating students.
so look for that auction.
Old 12-27-13, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Fietsbob's idea for checking to see what the school has is excellent. You should also check out used bikes at local shops. IIRC, the biggest hill in Gainesville is about 2' high so a single speed would likely be OK, though having 3, 7 or 8 wouldn't be a bad idea. If you'll be in shorts all the time and don't mind getting wet from tire spray when it rains then a fixie with a front brake wouldn't be a bad idea, though the one you picked seems a bit overpriced.

If you'll be wearing long pants or don't want a streak up your back when it rains or need to carry more than you can sling over your shoulder then you might want to look for something with a chainguard and fenders. If you get more than a single speed you may want to go with an internal geared hub unless you enjoy working on stuff.

BTW, what are you majoring in?
Old 12-30-13, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently majoring in Aerospace Engineering, may switch to Computer Science though. I really just thought a fixed gear because i don't plan on going very far (2 or 3 miles) and I like a good leg work out, But all of this advice is awesome I didn't even know the school had a surplus warehouse haha but ill be looking into it
Old 12-31-13, 12:33 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Aerospace is for true believers :-D
Old 12-31-13, 02:49 AM

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I'd recognize those welds anywhere! That is a Nashbar road frame - $100 shipped tops. While inexpensive, it's a really nice frame. I used one to build my bike and have nothing but great things to say about it. It's hardly "clear coated raw material" though; it's painted that color. As for the other components, I'm sure they were extra parts that we're sitting around that the seller had. I wouldn't pay more than $200, maybe $250 for that bike as that's about what it would cost to build it yourself.
Old 12-31-13, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
The big problem I'm seeing is that the rims don't have polished sidewalls - which means that if you put brakes on the front or rear, you'll end up with ugly black streaks at best and damaged rims or brake failure at worst. In my opinion, even a fixed gear bike should have a front brake at minimum. So, that nice bike just got a lot more expensive.
Wut? You can clearly see the rims have MSW.

Originally Posted by mister
I'd recognize those welds anywhere! That is a Nashbar road frame - $100 shipped tops. While inexpensive, it's a really nice frame. I used one to build my bike and have nothing but great things to say about it. It's hardly "clear coated raw material" though; it's painted that color. As for the other components, I'm sure they were extra parts that we're sitting around that the seller had. I wouldn't pay more than $200, maybe $250 for that bike as that's about what it would cost to build it yourself.
I'd say 2-225 would be a good price for this bike too, it's craigslist so there is always room to haggle. I would strongly recommend getting a front brake at minimum on it, even though FL is flat you still will need to come to a quick stop at some point especially as a novice rider.
Old 12-31-13, 07:11 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
What I was thinking. $300 is a good asking price for someone willing to haggle. Offer him $100, and go no higher than $200. Those are some decent components on the bike. Also, I hope you know the difference between a fixed gear and a single speed. Single speed bikes are very appropriate for flat Florida. I fixed gear is a whole 'nother animal. Unless you are very skilled, riding them in traffic can be very dangerous. (I own one, rarely take it out in traffic). If you are going to do less than about 5-10 miles a day, I would look into a single speed beach cruiser that you can put racks and baskets on.
Old 12-31-13, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For real? Nashbar road frames have track ends?

OP_ that bike represents 2005 fashion, and as others have stated, very little practicality. I'd pass. I'd pass at $100, too.

What do u want from your commuter bike? Speed, durability, low-maintenance, versatility?
Old 12-31-13, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I think a single speed, fixed gear bike with no brakes is a poor choice for a new cyclist planning to commute on it. The frame also may be too large unless you are at least 6' tall. The price is not too great considering it's a cheap frame with few components. On the plus side, a single speed is very simple to maintain and you may not need more gears if you are attending college at the University of Florida in Gainesville. Gears might be too complicated for a Gator fan anyway. (Sorry for the gratuitous dig from a UGA grad and Bulldawg fan.)

If you plan to bike commute regularly, I would look for a bike with more gears (6-7-8-9 speed double), mounts for fenders and racks, and room for tires at least 28 mm wide. You should be able to find a decent used bike on Craigslist that meets those criteria for about the same price or not much more than the fixie. Before you buy anything, I would try to get a better idea about what size bike you should be riding. Bike fit is the most critical element to enjoyable cycling, and you need to know what size frame is ideal as your starting point.
Old 12-31-13, 09:38 AM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You should try the single speed and fixed gear forum if you want to know that's a good value or hot, or not.
I'll save him the trip.

It would get chewed up and spit into a storm drain by the SSFG crew.

I'd pay $10 for the saddle, to give it a try.
Old 12-31-13, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I agree but it's relatively inexpensive to add brakes. Which is a minimum requirement in my opinion.

Honestly, for short distances and commuting to classes and close about town, just about any bike in good condition will do. Personally I wouldn't worry that much about the resale value because in that environment you can't count on it. I would think along these lines, is the transportation that the bike will provide for the duration worth $300?

Others will advise differently but I'd be reluctant to shell out $300 for a used single-speed for campus commuting. I'd look for a decent hard-tail on craigslist or on-campus sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.