Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

can't Decide - Nelson LF vs. Camer LF

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 10:16 AM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Carridice Nelson vs. Camper (not camer - I would like a saddle bag that can carry my gear for multiple day trips. I pack light and normally do not need much for cold weather. I will be carrying my overnight gear on my front rack (bridge hammock and poles, fly, air mattress) so no need for room in the seat bag for that stuff. My fleece will likely go under the longflap (somewhat bulky so it would take up too much room inside).

What I expect to put in the saddlebag:
1 windbreaker
1 pair socks
1 pair riding shorts
1 pair undies
2 lightweight jerseys
1 wool long sleeve shirt
1 lightweight long pants
1 small Jetboil stove
2-3 freeze dried meals
1 small ditty kit
1 compact down sleeping bag

For those of you that have one, or have experience with them would you recommend the Nelson Longflap, or the Camper LF? Nelson is 18 liters and Camper is 24 (without flap extended). The overall size is quite similiar with the Nelson at 35cm wide, 21 cm deep, and 20 cm tall - the Camper is 35x24x23.

Probbaly not a ton of difference, but....
Old 12-27-13, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I own a Nelson Longflap. It held all of the tools, clothes, and toiletries from this list with all of the straps at their tightest setting and still had room to spare. Whether it would work for you probably depends on how bulky your sleeping bag is and whether you end up adding anything that isn't already on your list (Cook kit? Off-bike shoes? Tools & spares?).
Old 12-27-13, 11:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like the Super C better for it's side release buckles instead of the straps, and buckles.

theres D rings on top to stow your rain gear when you don't wear it.
Old 12-27-13, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I like the Super C better for it's side release buckles instead of the straps, and buckles.

theres D rings on top to stow your rain gear when you don't wear it.
I would guess that a light bungee or piece of line would hold my fleece as well as a "long flap," as the Super C does not have. I like the Super C, but for the lack of flap - but never thought of it so simple as lashing on top. Hmmmm.
Old 12-27-13, 12:26 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I own a Nelson Longflap. It held all of the tools, clothes, and toiletries from this list with all of the straps at their tightest setting and still had room to spare. Whether it would work for you probably depends on how bulky your sleeping bag is and whether you end up adding anything that isn't already on your list (Cook kit? Off-bike shoes? Tools & spares?).
Yes, there will be a few other items and the sleeping bag is about the size of a can of coffee or a squished (lengthwise) loaf of bread - or something like that. Sounds like the Nelson LF would do just fine. I may give the Super C another look too.
Old 12-27-13, 01:57 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well thank you sstorkel for the link and to fietsbob for the advice. I looked at that link, many pictures of loaded bikes, and went through a number of other things in me head to help. In the end, I looked over at the beautiful Velo Orange Camper standing next to me (kickstand that is) and decided that I didn't have enough room between the back of the seat and top of the fender to go with the larger Camper (24 liters and almost even measurement on height and depth) or Super C (23 liters, but even taller than the camper 28cm vs. 24cm). It's a 57cm frame, but I have the seat only about 7 inches above the top tube. Most bikes I see have more seat tube sticking out. I'm old school and prefer larger frame with less seat extension. There might be about 12 inches from the back of the seat to the top of the fender. With the support of the Bagman Expedition QR I should be just at or above the rear fender with the bag.

Also, I am a minimalist and this Nelson will probably provide plenty of room. If it does not I will be even more of a minimalist
Old 12-27-13, 02:04 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I use the Camper Longflap, and find it just right for carrying, tent, bag, mat, cook set and clothes in the main compartment. If you are worried about space between the bag and the rear wheel look at the Bagman support. I have to use that support if I put the Camper on my Ramouillet, but I don't need it when I use the Cervelo RS. One advantage of using a relaxed geometry modern bike over a classic sport tourer geometry is you end up with lots of room between the saddle and the rear wheel.

Definitely get a bag with a longflap and it give you options to carry stuff like bulky food. You can also strap stuff to the top of the bag using the metal rings on the top.

Last edited by nun; 12-27-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 02:31 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I use the Camper Longflap, and find it just right for carrying, tent, bag, mat, cook set and clothes in the main compartment. If you are worried about space between the bag and the rear wheel look at the Bagman support. I have to use that support if I put the Camper on my Ramouillet, but I don't need it when I use the Cervelo RS. One advantage of using a relaxed geometry modern bike over a classic sport tourer geometry is you end up with lots of room between the saddle and the rear wheel.

Definitely get a bag with a longflap and it give you options to carry stuff like bulky food. You can also strap stuff to the top of the bag using the metal rings on the top.
Thanks nun. I think the longflap gives the bag a lot of versatility. As far as the camping gear goes the majority will be on the front rack. I expect the sleeping bag in the bag, but will work towards getting that up front as well - in a safe manner that is. I'll play with that more tonight.
Old 12-27-13, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
With the support of the Bagman Expedition QR I should be just at or above the rear fender with the bag.
I use my Nelson Longflap with one of the original Bagman QR supports. The thing to know about the "original" version is: 1) it flexes noticeably when you hit a bump and 2) saddle tilt affects the ultimate height of your bag above the rear tire. In my case, I ride a 54cm frame with 700x35 tires and need to tilt the nose of my saddle slightly upward for a comfortable riding position. Tilting of the saddle up moves the Bagman closer to the rear tire. My bag occasionally rubs the rear tire if I hit a large bump!

Looks like this must be a known issue, because I see that the Bagman 2 has additional supports running from the rack to the seat stays.
Old 12-27-13, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
I owned both a Camper and a Super C at the same time, and sold off the Camper. I didn't find the Camper significantly bigger in actual use (I think the actual LxWxH dimensions are very similar, I don't really trust their capacity ratings), and I really hated dealing with the buckle straps on it. I much prefer the quick click buckles on the Super C.
Old 12-28-13, 03:09 AM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I would guess that a light bungee or piece of line would hold my fleece as well as a "long flap," as the Super C does not have. I like the Super C, but for the lack of flap - but never thought of it so simple as lashing on top. Hmmmm.
Carradice also makes a cape roll which attaches to the top of the bag. I have one mounted on my large saddlebag (Zimbale 18L) and use it occasionally to hold my sweater.
Old 12-28-13, 09:31 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I went with the Nelson LF and if it proves too fussy to use the buckles - and - if there is room for the taller Super C I will return and reorder.

Thanks.