Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack Clearing Fenders on a Hybrid bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Bikeforumers!

I am looking for a rear rack that will fit on my Kona Dew (2012) on top of my Planet Bike Cascadia II Hybrid Fenders.

I visited my closest nearby MEC around a month ago and checked out this following rack https://www.mec.ca/product/1805-118/m...10+50002+50159

I wasn't able to get the rack to clear the fenders as it was too short. I returned the rack to the MEC and asked one of the workers there if there was a rack available that would be able to clear the fenders. They told me the rack I had already purchased was already my best bet, and told me usually fenders and rear racks are not found on the same bike and it's one or the other. They told me about the option of just keeping the front fender and removing the back fender in order to fit the rear rack.

I personally really would like the keep both fenders attached to the bike. Are there any rear racks at a reasonable price ~$30 (the bike is just be used for the casual ~30min commute to school to hold books, school supplies, food that my backpack can't hold) that would be able to clear these fenders? Or are there any adjustments I can make to the MEC bike to get the rear rack to clear the fenders? Please note I live in Canada, our selection of products are usually limited compared to you lucky Americans
Old 12-31-13, 08:37 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 602 Posts
Your MEC is full of it, here's a Nashbar rear rack over Planet Bike ATB fenders on a K2 hybrid. Set as low as I could get it, has a mile of upward adjustment from what you see in the picture. https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...19_-1___202601 There are also seat post racks that would work but I'm not a fan of that type myself but they may work for you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
S5001974.jpg (100.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Murray Missile; 12-31-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 09:02 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Whether the rack clears the fenders often has more to do with the frame design than the rack. Rack legs are pretty much all the same length, but the height depends on where the mounting eye is on the dropout.

If the eye is avove the axle by an inch or so, the rack will ride high with plenty of clearance below for a fender. OTOH id the eye is low on the dropout, the rack will ride lower and the clearance will be tighter.

It's also important that the fenders have good adjustability on the stays, so you can keep them close to the tire when the mounting eye is high.

Of course the tire size is also a factor since fatter (taller) tires need the fender to ride farther out.

Your best bet is to get out a ruler and determine how long a leg you'll need on the rack for it to work, then ask for the leg length when buying.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-31-13, 09:15 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 602 Posts
Planet Bike Versa rack, height adjustable and disc brake compatible....... https://www.bikeahead.com/versa-rack-...p/pla00407.htm
Old 12-31-13, 11:54 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pricey, but I love my VO Campeur rear rack - the rack comes with several different mounting options, and the extra holes at the bottom means the height is very adjustable.

Here it is on my bicycle. The double-rail design also means that I can use a trunk bag with panniers and not have them interfere with each other.

Old 01-01-14, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Nashbar rack looks real nice but the shipping doubles the cost
Planet Bike Versa Rack looks real nice but I see many negative reviews about it on MEC: https://www.mec.ca/product/5020-563/p...-cycling-rack/
That VO Campeur rear rack looks nice but I don't think I'm ready to spend $150 on a $300 bike

I'm looking this Topeak Explorer on ebay (seems like the cheapest source considering shipping costs to Canada): https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Topeak-Explor...2084451&_uhb=1
Around $45 shipped, any opinions?
Old 01-01-14, 12:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trek/Bontrager makes several racks to test fit on your bike, drop by the dealer & see.
Old 01-08-14, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You could get an Axiom 2429 Journey Adjustable rack. It is designed for wheels from 24" to 29". It has the bar to keep panniers out of the wheel, but unfortunately, it doesn't have and additional rail to keep the panniers separate from a trunk bag. Can still use panniers and a trunk bag, but an additional rail is nice to have.