Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Skewer - How Tight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Skewer - How Tight

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Skewer - How Tight

I just had to pull the front wheel for the first time on carbon bike and was wondering how tight does the skewer have to be or can it be over tightened and damage the carbon frame?
Old 01-01-14, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
The dropouts are typically not carbon, usually aluminum.

The best advice I have seen and what I follow, is with the QR lever parallel to the ground, the nut should be tight. Then tighten the lever.

Note that if it's a mt. bike with disc brakes, the front skewer needs to be extra tight and checked periodically. If it comes loose, the braking action can pop the F wheel out of the dropouts.
Old 01-01-14, 03:23 PM
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should leave a small impression on hand for a few seconds is what I have always gone by
Old 01-01-14, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My rule-of-thumb is that the lever should leave a slight mark in your palm when you close it. If the wheel creaks slightly when you pedal hard, open, then tighten the nut another 1/16 of a turn before re-closing the lever.

It *should* go without saying, but I've seen some experienced cyclists who did it wrong: to tighten a Q/R, you flip the lever open, then tighten the nut until there's no play in the skewer. Then, flip the lever closed, making sure it is oriented so that catching it on a stick cannot open it accidentally. More than once I've seen people use the lever as a wrench -- with open lever, spin the lever until the nut is tight. NO, NO, NO!!!
Old 01-01-14, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My rule-of-thumb is that the lever should leave a slight mark in your palm when you close it. If the wheel creaks slightly when you pedal hard, open, then tighten the nut another 1/16 of a turn before re-closing the lever.

It *should* go without saying, but I've seen some experienced cyclists who did it wrong: to tighten a Q/R, you flip the lever open, then tighten the nut until there's no play in the skewer. Then, flip the lever closed, making sure it is oriented so that catching it on a stick cannot open it accidentally. More than once I've seen people use the lever as a wrench -- with open lever, spin the lever until the nut is tight. NO, NO, NO!!!
The DT Wheels on my Giant Propel Advanced SL3 have the RWS Q/R skewer system and I think it's great. Screw it down until tight and then reposition lever if need be.
Old 01-01-14, 08:11 PM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
More than once I've seen people use the lever as a wrench -- with open lever, spin the lever until the nut is tight. NO, NO, NO!!!
Why does it matter which side you spin as long as the wheel is seated and everything is tight when the lever it closed?
Old 01-01-14, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts

I've seen a number of people with new bike shop quality bikes using this method. I don't know if the shops aren't explaining things as they should, people are not paying attention, or what.
Old 01-02-14, 12:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Lawyer's lips added to fork tips, helped front forks, significantly.

Why does it matter which side you spin as long as the wheel is seated and everything is tight when the lever it closed?
Disc brakes ? opposite side from the disc, so there is sufficient knuckle space, to close the QR lever.. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-02-14 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 08:27 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Keep in mind that when you tighten the skewer, you compress the axle and decrease bearing clearance.
What ever method you use, make sure the bearings aren't too tight/loose.
Old 01-02-14, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Old 01-02-14, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The dropouts are typically not carbon, usually aluminum...
Slightly off topic, I recently learned that a carbon fiber seatpost bolt should be tightened with a special torque wrench to avoid cracking the seat post. Fortunately I never overtightened that bolt. As a my mechanic said, "You won't be riding for quite a while if the seatpost cracks."
Old 01-02-14, 12:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
The problem is that many people close the lever first and just use it as a handle to tighten the skewer. They don't get the full tightening that comes from closing the lever after tightening the nut.

Most higher level mountain bikes now come with thru axle wheel attachments that avoid the whole quick release process and provide a more solid and secure attachment.
Old 01-02-14, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Slightly off topic, I recently learned that a carbon fiber seatpost bolt should be tightened with a special torque wrench to avoid cracking the seat post. Fortunately I never overtightened that bolt. As a my mechanic said, "You won't be riding for quite a while if the seatpost cracks."
Every bolt on my Propel has the torque specs. printed next to the bolt.
Old 01-02-14, 12:22 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The standard method is the hold the lever straight out, in line with the axle, then tighten the nut on the opposite end until it is "snug" - not tight, just removing all the slack in the QR. Then clamp down the lever.

With "lawyer lips," you have to adjust that nut EVERY time you install a front wheel! I've always filed off those stupid lips, but the winter fork I'm using with the front disc brake is the first fork I've ever owned where the lips have remained!

Also, really good CF forks (ENVE, for example) have CF dropouts. No problem clamping down on them. I've clamped down harder on the roof rack QR.

Luis
Old 01-02-14, 05:38 PM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
With "lawyer lips," you have to adjust that nut EVERY time you install a front wheel! I've always filed off those stupid lips, but the winter fork I'm using with the front disc brake is the first fork I've ever owned where the lips have remained!

Also, really good CF forks (ENVE, for example) have CF dropouts. No problem clamping down on them. I've clamped down harder on the roof rack QR.

I have been thinking of filing off the LL's for a while, a real pain to mess with and in 40 years of biking I have yet to lose a front wheel.

Mike

Luis[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-14, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike

I have been thinking of filing off the LL's for a while, a real pain to mess with and in 40 years of biking I have yet to lose a front wheel.

Mike

Luis
[/QUOTE]

Maybe LL are all my fault. While riding a wheelie on my Stingray clone, the front wheel fell off, eventually resulting in a faceplant. We certainly didn't sue anybody, as my parents considered it my own stupid fault. But perhaps word got out....
Old 01-03-14, 03:42 AM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Finally bought a new bike a couple months ago after 23 years and now experience the LL phenomenon. Don't like all that fiddling with the QR. Because I have to move it so much I do hold the nut and spin the lever, but I find I typically have to back off the nut a bit to get the lever to close fully, and in the desired orientation.

I also seem to prefer the horizontal / front entry rear dropout compared to my new vertical dropout, maybe it's just a case of getting used to it but I look pretty clumsy getting the rear wheel in.

scott s.
Old 01-03-14, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've seen a number of people with new bike shop quality bikes using this method. I don't know if the shops aren't explaining things as they should, people are not paying attention, or what.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The cam action of the lever should be what's used to make the final tightening. Some people just use the lever as a short wrench, without flipping the lever, enabling them to tighten the skewer to a whopping 15 or 20 inch-pounds.