Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another reason that truck collisions are more dangerous

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-01-14, 04:01 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts

Some may know that I'm very hawkish about truck blind spots and the right or left hook collision dangers they present.

But here's another difference between hitting a truck/trailer vs. a car. You may want to do an experiment, in which case you'll need a parked car (preferably one who's owner won't complain about a minor scratch, and a parked truck trailer.

This is a try this at home experiment, just be very careful. Some may prefer to run it in their imaginations only.

Riding slowly, approach a parked at a shallow angle simulating it starting a right hook across your path. At the moment just before collision reach out, fend off, and recover. You can also do this using your shoulder or upper body to check you into a parallel course. With practice you can develop this checking or fending maneuver into something you can execute at high speed, (bike polo teaches it well), and the skill can save you from crashing if right hooked by a car.

Now approach the middle of a truck trailer and try the same maneuver (SLOWLY). See, there's nothing to fend off against. Th trailer is at shoulder or head height and will clothesline you, most likely allowing the bicycle to slip underneath. If the trailer were moving forward, this would lead to being crushed under the rear axle.

I suspect that this tendency to slide under the high body trucks is a major contributor to the high mortality rate of truck right hook accidents. Even at low speed it's hard to avoid sliding under to be crushed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-01-14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Good writeup, but this is one of those things I'd think of as being "intuitively obvious the the casual observer."
Old 01-02-14, 09:17 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Looigi
Good writeup, but this is one of those things I'd think of as being "intuitively obvious the the casual observer."
Of course it is.

However, I don't think people ride around weighing the consequences of various possible crashes. That's why I figured I'd remind folks that bicyclists may be hit by cars, but run over by trucks.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-02-14, 11:57 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try not to let vehicles get next to me when approaching an intersection. Prevents right hooks every time.
Old 01-02-14, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by spivonious
I try not to let vehicles get next to me when approaching an intersection. Prevents right hooks every time.
That may be possible in Lancaster, but in large urban areas half the street riding is done with vehicles next to you, and the other half with one immediately in front and back of a gap that just happens to be next to you for the moment.

Old 01-02-14, 12:59 PM
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is true even when not in a hooking situation. If a truck passes to close you are much more likely to end up under the wheels than a regular car. A cross wind (or even just bernoulli principle cause draft) could push a cyclist under a truck where it would only push them into a car.
Old 01-02-14, 04:42 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That may be possible in Lancaster, but in large urban areas half the street riding is done with vehicles next to you, and the other half with one immediately in front and back of a gap that just happens to be next to you for the moment.
Urban riding is even easier - just ride in the middle of the lane. You'd have to do that to stay out of the door zone anyway.
Old 01-02-14, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by spivonious
Urban riding is even easier - just ride in the middle of the lane. You'd have to do that to stay out of the door zone anyway.
There are no lanes per se. Even though the city paints dashed lined down the avenues NY drivers drive wherever the car fits, ebbing and lowing around obstructions, slower vehicles, buses pulling to stops or out of them, the tail of buses that sticks out because it didn't fit into the stop, jaywalking pedestrians, and so on.

The traffic flow looks more like some kind of fluid dynamics thing, than what traffic engineers diagram.

As for those dashed lines, they're sort of a width gauge that one can use to judge if you'll fit into a hole.

At any time a cyclist can find himself in a 3' lane between two buses, only to have it dead end as each peels off to either side of a truck stopped ahead, leaving no room for the cyclist. Of course you don't have to ride this way, but unless you earn to flow with traffic, you won't be able to make any time which in NYC is a cardinal sin.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-02-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 04:55 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I hit the rear tire of a semi trailer once. He pulled out in front of me when I was descending a mountain and I couldn't turn right fast enough. It really is dangerous, if I had been a few feet further forward, it's quite possible he would have run me over. I hit my head on the bottom row of lights on the side of the trailer, had I not run my shoulder into the tire, I definitely would have gone under.
Old 01-02-14, 04:57 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take the lane!! You may be a pain to the truck driver!!! But you definitely won't be in a truck's blind spot!! Just don't do it when descending a steep grade hill.

Last edited by Chris516; 01-02-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I hit the rear tire of a semi trailer once. He pulled out in front of me when I was descending a mountain and I couldn't turn right fast enough. It really is dangerous, if I had been a few feet further forward, it's quite possible he would have run me over. I hit my head on the bottom row of lights on the side of the trailer, had I not run my shoulder into the tire, I definitely would have gone under.
Something similar happened to my brother some years back. He broadsided a potato truck that pulled out from a farm on Long Island. With nothing to stop it, his car passed passed underneath shearing off the roof almost down to the hood. Had he not had the idea to duck sideways across the passenger seat he wouldn't be here now.