Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

700x23 w/ gnarly tread? Looking for winter wet/slush/frozen hardpack/dirt tire.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 02:25 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts

All,

So I'd like to set up my old Lemond Buenos Aires with fenders to make it a more proper winter and spring training bike. I'm looking at the Crud Road Racer Mk2s.

The problem is that there's scarcely any clearance on the bike with 25s on it, so I'm going to have to go with 23s, at least on the rear, to get even the slim Cruds on there. With the 25s, for example, I can get a 1 Euro coin between the tire and brake bridge with just a hair to spare, so I'm guessing it's about 2.4-2.5mm clearance. I don't know if that's enough for the Cruds, but I'd be surprised if it works. So, I'm looking to downsize tires, unfortunately (though it is cheaper than buying a new frame, which I can't do right now).

Ideally I'd like something with a diamond file pattern, such as you'd find on a cyclocross tire, but I can't find a cyclocross tire in a narrow 23. I'd be happy to go with just about anything -- the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech looks cool-- but don't know what's out there.

Any tips on 23s with a little textured tread good for cold, slop, slush, and muck?
Old 01-02-14, 02:42 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's N+1 time .. though the Nokian company of Finland May have some utilitarian training tires .
Old 01-02-14, 02:50 PM
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I couldn't even find any decent cross-tires in 28 any more when I looked.
Old 01-02-14, 07:48 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

The Panaracer Pasela may work, and they're cheap enough it won't sting if they don't.
Old 01-02-14, 11:58 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The Panaracer Pasela may work, and they're cheap enough it won't sting if they don't.
The Panaracer Pasela got me through the better part of two Denver winters, as well as a bit of riding on dirt. I did, however, have a backup mountain bike for when the snow was deep (more than about 4").
Old 01-03-14, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Pasela's are probably one of the best options for you.

If you are wanting to really do some winter riding a new frame and swapping all your old parts over to it could be worth the investment in the long run. You could even find some older road bikes that use 27 1 1/4 wheels/tires, put your 700c wheels on and some long reach brakes and have loads of clearance for very little money.
Old 01-03-14, 09:16 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by chriskmurray
The Pasela's are probably one of the best options for you.

If you are wanting to really do some winter riding a new frame and swapping all your old parts over to it could be worth the investment in the long run. You could even find some older road bikes that use 27 1 1/4 wheels/tires, put your 700c wheels on and some long reach brakes and have loads of clearance for very little money.
Yeah, I've been considering the options to setting up the Lemond for this, though scavenging the bike for parts is not in the cards, because I like the bike still, and have more occasion to ride it as it is than I do a winter/foul weather road bike.

My LBS has ordered the Road Racer MK2s for me to test fit; best case is they'll squeeze over the 25s. Next best outcome is that they'll work with 23s, though the narrow width is not ideal. Worst case, they just don't work, in which case I'm off to eBay to sell some stuff and do the N+1 thing. My wife would kill me, but maybe I can get through to summer before she even realizes!

Fenders come in Tuesday, so I'll update the thread with findings. Thanks all.
Old 01-03-14, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife would kill me
Just convince her how unsafe your current bike is and how one trip the the ER will cost more than the new bike!