Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

no commute for me today...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

well, we got 6 inches of snow last night and just got done digging out the driveway. Not planning to ride today
and just thought how you guys in the Midwest still commute in stuff like this and am amazed...
Old 01-03-14, 10:53 AM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. It was 49 and windy here in South Florida this morning, with a high today of around 60. That was enough to have me driving the car and leaving the bike at the house. Truth is, the bike needs brakes, and I got the parts yesterday, but it'll be Saturday before I get them replaced. Probably ride for an hour on Sunday, if the brakes are fixed....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 01-03-14, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I rode 9ish miles each way in Boston yesterday...my boss said it was the "most impressive thing [he]'d ever heard", and something about how I needed to get an extra hole punched in my Man Card
Old 01-03-14, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by agmetal
I rode 9ish miles each way in Boston yesterday...my boss said it was the "most impressive thing [he]'d ever heard", and something about how I needed to get an extra hole punched in my Man Card
Where's your commute?

My year-round commute is from Kenmore Square to Norwood, and I take the Commuter Rail home. I've been called a "saint," though a scheduling conflict kept me off the bike this morning. I posted elsewhere today:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Right now (about 6:00 AM), due to scheduling conflicts, I'm sitting out probably the most severe winter challenge I've encountered in decades of year-round cycle commuting for my 14 mile one-way route in Boston--over a foot of newly-fallen snow at 3°F. My routes are well plowed, so it would have been doable on my Marathon Winter studded tires. My personal record low is about 0°F...
Old 01-03-14, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Where's your commute?

My year-round commute is from Kenmore Square to Norwood, and I take the Commuter Rail home. I've been called a "saint," though a scheduling conflict kept me off the bike this morning. I posted elsewhere today:
Malden to Fenway via Wellington, Union Sq. Somerville, and Mass. Ave. Usually I use the Northern Strand and Wellington Greenway paths for part of it, but the former hasn't been getting any kind of treatment or plowing, and the latter has always taken a day or two to get anything, so I took an alternate route using Highland Ave and passing through Wellington Circle.
Old 01-03-14, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
I agree. It was 49 and windy here in South Florida this morning, with a high today of around 60. That was enough to have me driving the car and leaving the bike at the house. Truth is, the bike needs brakes, and I got the parts yesterday, but it'll be Saturday before I get them replaced. Probably ride for an hour on Sunday, if the brakes are fixed....

49 and windy and you don't ride? I know you live in Florida, but come on man, HTFU.
Old 01-03-14, 02:40 PM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
49 and windy and you don't ride? I know you live in Florida, but come on man, HTFU.
Part of the reason to drive today was to bring home some tools from work, that I would rather not lug on my bike. I have a couple of projects for the weekend that require real tools. Also, the brakes on my bike are shot, and I just got the new pads yesterday in the mail, need to fix the brakes too. Are those excuses enough********** When you live in South Florida, like I do, and ride all summer in 90+ degrees and high humidity, 49 seems awful cold!!!!

Old 01-03-14, 02:45 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Part of the reason to drive today was to bring home some tools from work, that I would rather not lug on my bike. I have a couple of projects for the weekend that require real tools. Also, the brakes on my bike are shot, and I just got the new pads yesterday in the mail, need to fix the brakes too. Are those excuses enough********** When you live in South Florida, like I do, and ride all summer in 90+ degrees and high humidity, 49 seems awful cold!!!!

From the way people were dressed today on the bus (I'm riding the bike home) you'd think we were in Boston today. It was only 48 degrees this morning, and it was funny to see how bundled up they were. I find it refreshing and a break from what Tractor Toms says is our oppressive summer heat, humidity, and hurricanes.
Old 01-03-14, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I was on Maui yesterday and in NYC today. Hmmm, I think I'd rather be back in Maui. I had this fantasy that I'd come back to NY and still be able to occasionally ride, but I'm thinking now maybe not until March.
Old 01-03-14, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you live in South Florida, like I do, and ride all summer in 90+ degrees and high humidity, 49 seems awful cold!!!!
Non-Floridians just do not understand that. I say bring them down here in August or September and take them on a 50 mile ride at a leisurely pace. Very few of them will complete the ride.

It was also 49 at my house some 150 miles or so north of you. I do not commute by cycle but do try to ride at least 20 miles a day. Not today though, way too cold for this cold weather wimp.

Bob
Old 01-04-14, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 13 salsa vaya, 90 klein pinnacle 01 lemond poprad, 98 klein quantum race, 91 trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2nd should have been 1st commute of the year. 1 inch of snow on the ground and upper 20s, all set to go and gut tells
me with the blizzard coming I'll probably be at work for 24 to 48 hrs out in the weather , so maybe not a great idea. Sure enough turned out after 40 hrs and a foot of snow I was on my way home and it was 8F
Good call. Next chance is monday forecast for temps starting in upper 30s falling thruout the day into the single digits. But dry
Old 01-04-14, 11:30 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Whether is relative. In Minneapolis it isn't cold, until it's very cold (if then), while I know folks in southern California that complain if it's 65 and cloudy.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-06-14, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Whether is relative. In Minneapolis it isn't cold, until it's very cold (if then), while I know folks in southern California that complain if it's 65 and cloudy.
a kind of a weird experience as a newbie... I now know how to dress for 20-30 something degrees... but when it starts to be around the mid forties...

I am not sure exactly what to wear...
Old 01-06-14, 03:15 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
a kind of a weird experience as a newbie... I now know how to dress for 20-30 something degrees... but when it starts to be around the mid forties...

I am not sure exactly what to wear...
It's not rocket science. You have to experiment, and let your body tell you. I have a hilly route, and in the winter the issue isn't being warm enough (that's easy), but being cool enough that I don't sweat and wet my insulation on the climbs. I try to start cool, and warm up on the ride.

Since the weather changes gradually usually), I can learn as I go a few degrees at a time. Otherwise, I just add enough and see what happens. Actually, my biggest issue is large temperature swings during the day, where I might go to work correctly dressed for 40° and get surprised having to ride home at 25°,

If you're new to it, don't make yourself crazy, do the best you can and have a bailout. For instance, I can take a bus which gets me within walking distance at either end. If I ride in, and it's pouring, or sleeting in the evening, it's a bus day. (personal rule, I'll ride in the cold, or wet or dark, or even 2 out of 3, but not all three.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.