Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

the weirdo is back...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

the weirdo is back...

Old 01-05-14, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
the weirdo is back...

Its 41*F, snow is on the ground, road pretty clear with some slush, it was sprinkling earlier...
I decided to go ride my commute to see how the roads were... I have a 6 mile commute (one way) and it
was a beautiful day (warmth wise), the roads were wet but no real problems.

so I get back home, and as I am getting the bike stored, I hear my young son yell to mom... hey mom! the weirdo is back!

I guess some people just don't understand the beauty of a ride...
Old 01-05-14, 11:49 AM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put his X-Box on the back porch.
Old 01-05-14, 03:26 PM

Bikes: www.amoebalight.blogspot.com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL My wife and daughters think I am the weirdo also for wanting to ride my bike in some of the most extreme conditions. Thanks for making me laugh out loud while I am in the house by myself watching football today

Old 01-05-14, 03:31 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
You must admit it is obtuse.

I haven't missed a single day of commuting by bike since my FGSS arrived in England.

People I told over Xmas (Germans and Americans) were shocked that I commute 20km RT by bike in the English winter when the bus stops 20m from my front door and 20m from my office door.
Old 01-05-14, 03:47 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I certainly don't mean to comment on anyone's business. But I think what some people may call a commute... they've actually turned into an extreme sport (or activity of sorts). I don't think that's a bad thing! But commuting is just getting back and forth from where we have to go to earn.... it's the earning that is the focus. When the commute becomes the center of interest, enjoyment, or pride.... that's cool. But is it still a commute?
Old 01-05-14, 03:52 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I certainly don't mean to comment on anyone's business. But I think what some people may call a commute... they've actually turned into an extreme sport (or activity of sorts). I don't think that's a bad thing! But commuting is just getting back and forth from where we have to go to earn.... it's the earning that is the focus. When the commute becomes the center of interest, enjoyment, or pride.... that's cool. But is it still a commute?
I wouldn't even consider what I do a job!

It does provide a means of subsistence, but I don't use roughly half of the money.

In fact, I'm probably quite selfish and enjoy almost all of my waking hours when I'm "commuting", "working", "on a business trip" or simply at the pub!
Old 01-05-14, 03:56 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
Its 41*F, snow is on the ground, road pretty clear with some slush, it was sprinkling earlier...
I decided to go ride my commute to see how the roads were... I have a 6 mile commute (one way) and it
was a beautiful day (warmth wise), the roads were wet but no real problems.

so I get back home, and as I am getting the bike stored, I hear my young son yell to mom... hey mom! the weirdo is back!

I guess some people just don't understand the beauty of a ride...
Love It...

Old 01-05-14, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think 'enlightenment' needs two steps.

The first is the realization that cold and/or damp, even wet, is much less uncomfortable on a bicycle. But that's not enough on it's own. For instance, we're in that deep freeze right now that most everyone has been hearing about. (Early Jan., 2014) As a result, I did a bunch of snow shoveling today. Burning calories, I was dressed more lightly than many folks might have done yet I was still more than warm enough. Yet it still wasn't all that much fun. Not bad, but not 'great'.

A bicycle ride, though, has something beyond merely being more comfortable (for given conditions) than others might suspect. I'm not articulate enough to describe that. And I don't need to; anyone reading this already understands.

When we're riding, we're more comfortable and more 'happy' than an outsider is capable of understanding.

Since they don't understand they are forced to think that we're either lying or crazy.
Old 01-05-14, 07:53 PM
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
A bicycle ride, though, has something beyond merely being more comfortable (for given conditions) than others might suspect. I'm not articulate enough to describe that. And I don't need to; anyone reading this already understands.

When we're riding, we're more comfortable and more 'happy' than an outsider is capable of understanding.

Since they don't understand they are forced to think that we're either lying or crazy.
+1 - can't tell you how many times I've been riding home 9 miles in frozen rain in the dark - totally happy - but knowing there's no way to explain it to someone in a car
Old 01-05-14, 08:26 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My family has never really said anything, but I don't think they think much of it anymore unless the temps are below zero.

I'll probably blow off the ride tomorrow and work from home assuming the internet stays up, because we've had a metric buttload of snow and it won't be plowed by morning. Come Tuesday it should be fine though, other than -30*F wind chills but that doesn't really bother me, I don't have to shovel cold.