Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone Riding in Sub-Zero Fahrenheit?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 09:35 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts

Me? Not a chance!
Been in NJ for over a month now - and it's been cold, snowy, rainy, Colder!

But today takes the cake. Temp at 9:30 AM, on a very accurate thermometer outside the house
= -2 deg fahrenheit!

can't wait to get back to CA...

any serious cycle kooks riding in this 'arctic blast'?

but it is sunny, for now
Old 01-07-14, 10:14 AM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-12 here in the mountains of NC today. I plan to do about 30 miles.

on the trainer.
Old 01-07-14, 10:28 AM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
don't do it. it is dangerous.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-07-14, 10:56 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Mountain biking is probably ok since you're burning a lot of calories but not going fast.
Old 01-07-14, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah...there's a point where you're being silly. I draw the line at 32F and know others that will ride down into the teens...but sub zero temps? That's just setting yourself up for injury. It was -17 here yesterday...rode to -10 and is currently 2. The windchills (just standing there) dipped to -35 to -45. Riding? I can't imagine what it would be.
Old 01-07-14, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-19 celcius this morning with the wind it was hovering around -35 to -40.
Old 01-07-14, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I'll ride down to -2 or -3. My coldest ride was -13, but that was a waste of time. Don't know what those temps are in Fahrenheit.

This has been an intense winter, with lots of snow, so the roads aren't bare and dry like they typically are. I haven't been on my bike outside in over two weeks.
Old 01-07-14, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You should try skiing some time.
Old 01-07-14, 05:11 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
We call this Tuesday.
Old 01-07-14, 05:43 PM
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
There was an article in last weeks RBR newsletter about not freezing your privates...

Old 01-07-14, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Perfect timing to discover a crack in my old frame - staying inside and putting together a new ride.
Old 01-07-14, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes

-6F
Old 01-07-14, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
No. It's not that fun when you have to wear so many layers that you become a giant blob. I also worry about frostbite on my face and ears. And breathing in such cold air is not good for you. There isn't a single medical journal that would advocate doing intense cardio in sub-zero temps. Can do more damage than good to your lugs and throat.
Old 01-07-14, 08:03 PM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
-23°F yesterday morning for the ride in, -14°F for the ride home. I bailed out today. They said the temp might reach 0°F today, and I was afraid I might overheat.
Old 01-07-14, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen

Yes, Pcad.
Old 01-07-14, 08:57 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only for fun. -6 deg. F. Could'a stayed out longer but my glasses had an ice coating I couldn't see through. I used a half open dust mask so most of my breath went down, but not enough, though the mask did help keep the air warmer for my lungs - I agree really cold air cannot be conducive to good health. The only other thing I would have done would be that greasy stuff that helps keep the frostbite away because it won't let skin dry out. I used to use that cross country skiing. So why do my glasses fog on a bike and not when I used to ski? Fat face from age?

Oh - and regarding the "dangerous" posting - ya, I agree, being out when it's cold at all invites trouble. This ride was a planned short one and my wife was within 15 minutes and knew my schedule. When I'm out, with any risk of hypothermia, (in the woods, mind you, not on a lake) I carry a emergency fire kit. (Just in case I'm conscious enough to do anything reasonable..) ...NM...long discussion and I really digress...
Attached Images
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 01-07-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw someone commuting this morning in <5° temps and almost threw up on sight on their behalf. A car without heat for 20min was all I could stand to do..
Old 01-07-14, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yah motorcycles on ice. I was in a three hour team race with the guy on bike 457.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
144.jpg (96.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-07-14, 11:10 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by dralways
i saw someone commuting this morning in <5° temps and almost threw up on sight on their behalf. A car without heat for 20min was all i could stand to do..
htfu
Old 01-07-14, 11:26 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been riding all winter in Michigan. Today it was 14 below F,,broke the record by -9 degrees,,they called it feels like -35. I am one tough guy lol I ride when it is about 10. There is also 13 inches of snow on the ground lol. I would like to die riding my bike, but not on purpose lol. Friday it is going to be 35 degrees, Saturday 40 degrees,,might as well wait a day or so when it is warm enough that if you get a flat tire, you are not going to die. When I was raising my children I would tell them dont stay too long out in the cold and make sure you wear your hat, cause it can be so cold your ear could crack off and then the doctors will have to take a piece of your tushy and make an ear outta it. Then you will literally be a butt head.

I am not a butt head lol.

Last edited by howeeee; 01-07-14 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 12:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
htfu
Done enough of that to last me at least the next couple years in the last two. Maybe my car has spoiled me a bit because I was carless and commuting on a 40lb bike on snowy sub-zero days just over a year ago. For a hobby, though? I'd rather live to tell your grandkids to "htfu" since you won't. That is until I'm within reach of the pro tour, of course.
Old 01-08-14, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I had to ride in 13 degree weather today. Oh wait, you said Fahrenheit.
Old 01-08-14, 01:14 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by dralways
Done enough of that to last me at least the next couple years in the last two. Maybe my car has spoiled me a bit because I was carless and commuting on a 40lb bike on snowy sub-zero days just over a year ago. For a hobby, though? I'd rather live to tell your grandkids to "htfu" since you won't. That is until I'm within reach of the pro tour, of course.
Seriously ?

LTFU
Old 01-08-14, 03:41 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Yes ... often.

When I lived in Winnipeg, I commuted by bicycle year round ... in temps as low as -40C/F. I preferred that to scraping ice off car windows, and then sitting inside the freezing car on rock solid seats waiting for some teensy bit of heat to emerge from the vents.

And ... a little story for your reading enjoyment about a century I did late in February in 2003 in Winnipeg ...
https://www.machka.net/brevet/Coldest_Century.htm

I've done several more centuries (and somewhat shorter rides) in slightly warmer temps than that ... like -18C, -20C, -22C ...
Old 01-08-14, 06:27 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Me? Not a chance!
Been in NJ for over a month now - and it's been cold, snowy, rainy, Colder!

But today takes the cake. Temp at 9:30 AM, on a very accurate thermometer outside the house
= -2 deg fahrenheit!

can't wait to get back to CA...

but it is sunny, for now

Jeez, let me know when it gets cold over there. Here in western MN our temps have been in the -20s for daytime highs most of last week with windchills to -50s. In Fargo, ND, there are plenty of cycle commuters still riding. Icy roads have been limiting me but I've been out a couple of times in this kinda chilly MN winter but I'm putting studded Schwalbe Winters on my Plan B bike today (assuming UPS man brings them as scheduled) and plan to ride every chance I get. -2F is a nice day from Christmas until Valentines Day around here.

We are at -21F actual temp right now with an expected high of -5F today and it's one of the nicer days we have had recently. Supposed to be an unseasonably toasty 24 F and sunny on Saturday and I'm half disappointed because the roads might start to thaw out and I'm not going to get much chance to try out my new studded tires.

If you really want some winter fun:

Off road along snow covered trails and on the frozen Red River of the North. Try a fat bike on cross country ski trails or frozen over CX trails.

I have never understood why people have no problem with skiing or even running at zero F, but get on a bike and they're all "What'r ya? Nuts?" Sure, you're not going to ride alone way out in the boonies without a backup plan at those temps, but properly prepared you can certainly ride all year round, even for enjoyment.

Here are some pictures from a ride in December 2012. Temps were in the low teens and I spent a good two hours enjoying this early morning scenery before the sun came out and the frost dropped from the trees. Those people who hang up their bikes when it gets below freezing don't know what they're missing.
Attached Images
Prairie-Village.jpg (30.3 KB, 11 views)
Winter-Wonderland-1.jpg (13.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Myosmith; 01-08-14 at 07:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.