Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie.

I haven't been on a bike since I was a teenager. Im now 24, married with kids and am interested in touring. Actually, convinced to start. Like, yesterday. My husband is on here somewhere (NeckIsRed). He is really my inspiration to do this. We have bikes, racks are being built as I type this, and were doing our first little ride tomorrow.

I am really excited about the weight loss and training that comes along with riding. That's the most convincing part for me other than the places I want to see, and the actual experience of it all. Come on, who wouldn't want to see beautiful places, not pay high gas prices, AND lose weight all at the same time. haha.

Best advice for a new touring couple is welcome! Im glad to have joined you guys here. I love reading all the experiences you guys share. It gives us lots of insight on where to go, what to do.

Nice to 'meet' y'all!
Old 01-11-14, 02:13 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome aboard
Old 01-11-14, 02:31 AM

Bikes: Utilitarian Chinese cheapie with a basket on the front

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might find that you don't actually lose much weight…….

Combined with a decent diet, exercise can help you lose flab where you don't want it, and put on muscle where in other parts. You may become more healthy, and look better as a result, but your weight may change very little because muscle is denser than fat.

Enjoy cycling as part of your life (not just touring), as a couple, as a family, and as an individual, and it will have benefits all round.

Welcome back to an activity that has been part of my life for most of the last five decades and a bit….. but I am new here today too!
Old 01-11-14, 09:42 AM
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF!
Old 01-11-14, 09:47 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums and congrats on your new interest in cycling.

I have seen people lose weight with cycling. A friend of mine has lost at least 35 lbs when he decided to start riding his bike to work and to the store. The only times that he doesn't ride is when the weather does not allow him to or when he has to drive his kids to basketball practice. To see the change in him is amazing.

Another friend of mine is bragging that he went from 240 to 185 since Summer. He's been riding every day after work, cut down on his food portions and got away from soda.

There's a touring section here, did you get a chance to check it out? A lot of info can be gained, plus you can always ask questions there.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-11-14, 05:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I have checked out the touring section a little, and plan to read up a whole lot more over the next couple days.

Aj Mick, I would be fine with toning and gaining some muscle. Tightening up is really what I need. Having kids is hell on a body. Mine anyways. Im hoping to drop pounds AND tone up.

Our first little neighborhood ride was today. And we plan to do this everyday and add a little distance each time. Then take off somewhere further. I noticed riding occupied my mind, which in turn Im not thinking about food. Always a plus.