Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any wheel builders offering their services?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced(the one i never should have sold)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, i have a set of hubs and rims i want to have built up and i definitely do not have the skill myself and my lbs's prices are astronomical!! So i am curious if anyone here builds wheels and would be interested in me mailing you what i have and having you find the proper spokes and doing the build. Pm me if anyone is interested or has suggestions.
Old 01-16-14, 12:45 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by nevertrustafart
Hey guys, i have a set of hubs and rims i want to have built up and i definitely do not have the skill myself and my lbs's prices are astronomical!! So i am curious if anyone here builds wheels and would be interested in me mailing you what i have and having you find the proper spokes and doing the build. Pm me if anyone is interested or has suggestions.
I'll gladly build you a pair using your materials or mine (wheelsmith spokes). If you're open minded on rims, I have good quantities of NOS 700c rims in a range of prices. I'm in New York, so shipping won't be a killer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-16-14, 02:21 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
I'd suggest you specify which rims & hubs you have and if new or used.
I wouldn't be interested unless someone dropped them off/picked them up at my house and I could see what I had to work with FIRST.
If these are some old, rusty steel rims etc., I wouldn't be interested either.
Just saying.....
Old 01-16-14, 11:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the advice, and they are brand new 38mm depth carbon rims(from china) and powerway r36 carbon straight pull hubs. i dont have spokes because i have no frelling clue how to measure for the exact length i would need. if i knew how to do that i might be tempted to attempt it myself. any good advice on how to calculate the exact length of spoke i would need?
Old 01-16-14, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had you put that info in your original post you replies would likely be zero, or a bunch of AYFKM(?). Without prior experience with those particular parts, no wheelbuilder I know of (including me) would touch 'em.
Old 01-16-14, 11:54 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by reddog3
Had you put that info in your original post you replies would likely be zero, or a bunch of AYFKM(?). Without prior experience with those particular parts, no wheelbuilder I know of (including me) would touch 'em.
So tell me, how does one gain prior experience with anything if they refuse to touch anything new?

Obviously it's advantageous to build with familiar rims and spokes, and that's the main reason I ask clients to let me spec the wheel to their needs. But an experienced builder should be able to make a rough judgement about a rim when he has it in his or her hands.

When I used to build lots of race wheels, I had an unpublished "I hate that rim" surcharge for certain rims, that I'd factor into any quote. Rims like Fiamme track yellow label road, and the tiny aero Araya track rim (one of the squirreliest) come to mind.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-17-14, 12:23 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Obviously it's advantageous to build with familiar rims and spokes, and that's the main reason I ask clients to let me spec the wheel to their needs. But an experienced builder should be able to make a rough judgement about a rim when he has it in his or her hands.
Would you build a wheel with a customer's carbon rim without published specs?
Old 01-17-14, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bezalel
Would you build a wheel with a customer's carbon rim without published specs?
I'd be willing to look at it, and make a call on it. Or possibly build it with a very limited warranty. I've done this before in other ways, like building light tandem wheels for some crossing the country with it, or wheels for very heavy riders.

In any case, what published specs would you be looking for?

Old 01-17-14, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
If you can lace up and tie your shoes, you have the ability to lace up your bicycle wheels. It takes some study and thought, but it is not a mystery.
Old 01-17-14, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'd be supe curious if someone could build these wheels, plus shipping parts out/wheels back, for less than the LBSs "astronomical" pricing...
Old 01-17-14, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
If you can lace up and tie your shoes, you have the ability to lace up your bicycle wheels. It takes some study and thought, but it is not a mystery.
True, but I wouldn't recommend that particular combination for anybody's first attempt.
Old 01-17-14, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mconlonx
I'd be supe curious if someone could build these wheels, plus shipping parts out/wheels back, for less than the LBSs "astronomical" pricing...
It depends on the LBS. I've seen wheel building pricing all over the boards varying by as much as 3:1 high to low. There's also the chance that the OP willbe quoted the "your own meat to Macdonalds" price. I know shops that quote outrageous prices to folks who they feel aren't 100% loyal.

Given that the OP seems to be very price driven, I'm not surprised that he's out looking for a bargain on the labor, but it's up to him to make judgements on where to go from here.

Old 01-17-14, 05:15 PM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did your LBS quote you to build the set?
Old 01-17-14, 06:01 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
So tell me, how does one gain prior experience with anything if they refuse to touch anything new?
Your point is well taken but in this case the components are truly "new". Carbon rims of unknown dimensions, carbon hubs no one ever heard of and required straight pull spokes of unknown length. This would truly be a learning experience for anyone who took on the project.
Old 01-17-14, 06:18 PM
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
unknown

Originally Posted by HillRider
Carbon rims of unknown dimensions, carbon hubs no one ever heard of and required straight pull spokes of unknown length.
This would truly be a learning experience for anyone who took on the project.
Measuring the hubs/rims should not be too difficult.

Most wheelbuilding pros would not sweat it, but would charge accordingly.

https://power-way.com.tw/hub.htm
Old 01-17-14, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider
Your point is well taken but in this case the components are truly "new". Carbon rims of unknown dimensions, carbon hubs no one ever heard of and required straight pull spokes of unknown length. This would truly be a learning experience for anyone who took on the project.
Yes, it's an added bunch of challenges, and not for a 1st timer. However, I was responding to the comment that "Without prior experience with those particular parts, no wheelbuilder I know of (including me) would touch 'em".

The fact that these are novel, shouldn't present a serious challenge to an experienced builder. If I were to consider these, my concerns would be more related to things that don't affect a builder, such as delamination of the CF along the brake track. But puely from a builder's standpoint, my only concern would be the flatness and roundness of the rims, something I could confirm before I started.

Old 01-17-14, 07:33 PM

Bikes: American Breezer mtb, American Classic ti road bike w/SRAM Force and XO, Crotch Rocket, SOMA 69'er w/XX-1 mtb, Handsome Shop Bike w/700c wheels. Bianchi SS 'cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quit avoiding the question - what's your lbs's 'astronomical' price? And think about this - you purchased some cheap stuff on the internet, hoping your lbs would provide technical support and a cheap build. Now the lbs has scoffed at you and you're scrambling because you're not capable of getting yourself out of this mess. Your problem is one that should not be on this forum.

What's needed is a forum for folks looking to get out of a mess they've gotten themselves into, aren't willing or able to help themselves, and don't have a clue why their lbs won't help. I'm not sure what the appropriate forum title might be but I'll suggest "Why don't you call the company you bought the stuff from?" or "SUCKER" for short.

Each forum's overseer could just hook threads like this and move them.
Old 01-17-14, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by nevertrustafart
Pm me
I think you have to have 50 posts before someone can PM you (not sure about that)......out of curiosity, what's the astronomical price your LBS quoted you?
Old 01-17-14, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by well biked
I think you have to have 50 posts before someone can PM you (not sure about that)......out of curiosity, what's the astronomical price your LBS quoted you?
I believe that there's no requirement relating to receiving PMs, just sending them.

Old 01-17-14, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by gruppo
.... Your problem is one that should not be on this forum.....
What exactly did the OP do to you to draw this kind of acrimony?

Not commenting on the wisdom of his method of trying to get a wheel, whether the issue was price or cool factor, or whatever, but I can't see that he did anything wrong. Dumb maybe, but dumb doesn't draw this kind of anger.

People come here for help. Others can either offer the help, refer them to other options, or simply lurk on the sidelines. There's no reason to jump on anyone, especially not a noob, no matter how dumb you think they are.

As for those wanting to know what he thought was astronomical, I'm curious too, but he doesn't owe us an answer to that.

BTW- he's not even asking us to go out of our way to help with his project, just asking if anyone is interested enough to quote him for the job.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-17-14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 08:00 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I agree that learning to build your own wheels is nice and a valuable skill but this is NOT the set I would start on. This is quite a bit more advanced than 32x3 with j-bend spokes.

OP - if you were in my area I'd offer to help and that goes for anyone else in the area who wants to learn. I'm guessing that shipping the parts and having them shipped back would not be economically feasible.

BTW- he's not even asking us to go out of our way to help with his project, just asking if anyone is interested enough to quote him for the job.
Agreed. I don't see the OP "avoiding" answering about the LBS cost either. His last post was near the top of the thread, at least give him a chance to respond!
Old 01-17-14, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for hubs like that it would be 110 per wheel. those hubs are ridiculous
Old 01-18-14, 08:09 AM
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't lend my name to such an enterprise. Doesn't matter how good a job I do, these parts are unknowns, and I would not chose to risk a hard-won reputation to facilitate their assembly. "Doug built them" around here means no one will ever have trouble with their wheels, both because of the attention to detail of the build, and because I only use well-vetted, well-backed parts, not Chinese Deal-of-the-Day, possibly not even first quality parts. All bike parts - especially wheel parts, are not created equal. All it takes is one noisy guy-whether right or wrong on the internet to make my life harder than it needs to be.

FBinNY, I would be concerned with more than just how round and straight they are. A wheelbuilder is only as good as their materials, and I've observed the variations in quality inherent in the vast numbers of sold-direct-as-is parts from China. I'd be surprised if there is any support for those hubs, as well.

Last edited by BikeWise1; 01-18-14 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWise1
I wouldn't lend my name to such an enterprise. Doesn't matter how good a job I do, these parts are unknowns, and I would not chose to risk a hard-won reputation to facilitate their assembly. ....

FBinNY, I would be concerned with more than just how round and straight they are. A wheelbuilder is only as good as their materials, and I've observed the variations in quality inherent in the vast numbers of sold-direct-as-is parts from China. I'd be surprised if there is any support for those hubs, as well.
You're right that there are other unknowns, and I'll often refuse to build wheels to a customer's specs, or using the pats he requests, but this applies to known issues. When dealing with the unknown such as in this case, I wouldn't say no based on it;s being unknown, I'd want to see and study it before deciding.

As for reputation. I don't see mine as a delicate flower that I have to protect from wind and cold. I trust in it and it's robustness, and that's what allows me to take risks. I'm not a full time bike mechanic, and over the years most of the wheels I've built were tough cases for people who after enough bad luck were referred to me.

It's sort of like medicine. There are specialists with very high success rates. Many maintain the high batting average by only taking on straightforward cases. Then there are specialists with terrible success rates, mainly because they take on the high risk cases others pass on. So tell me, who's better, the guy with a high batting average on easy cases, or the low average go to guy for those tough cases?

I wouldn't blink at building these wheels. (unless, having the parts in hand, I decided they were truly lousy). If nothing else, it would let me see how they go, so I have a better idea for the future.

Old 01-18-14, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lbs quoted me $225 per wheel. I went with the parts i purchased because i live in a very mountainous area and wanted the benefits of light weight carbon wheels and i went with straight pull hubs because i am tired of breaking j bent spokes on the particularly crappy road around here not to mention i do mixed gravel and i wanted the added strength of straight pull for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.