Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best clipless pedal/shoe combo? Recommendations

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-18-14, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just ordered some holdfast straps (was looking at ynot, but found some holdfasts for used about half off). People recommended clipless, so I figured I'd get some of those too to try out. I'd like them to have the hybrid style that allow you to use regular shoes with them. Any recommendations? Shoes and pedals? Oh, and I don't mind buying used.
Old 01-18-14, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
There are two types of pedals/shoes

1. Road shoes/pedal which have a big cleat on the bottom and are a pain to walk in for more then ten feet.
2. SPD/mountain bike style. Shoes usually have smaller recessed cleat that makes walking easier.

I have both. For my fixed I use Crank Bros Eggbeaters which I like. They are mountain bike style and I use this bike for commuting and errands so I get off and walk sometimes. The pedals also have 4 sides which makes getting back in easier at red lights

I think the road style pedals/shoes are better for overal performance but I am just using them on my road bike because I tend to ride longer distances and not have to stop or get off

Crank brothers makes Candy pedals which are similar to the egg beaters but they have a platform that you can use with regular shoes.
Old 01-19-14, 12:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Bring on the recommendations!
Old 01-19-14, 01:19 AM

Bikes: Leader 725, Kilo tt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a clipless set up on my older bike, and cages/straps on my current bike. Since I commute to school, I prefer using the cages/straps combo since its easier to dismount and walk to class in since its just plain old shoes. With clipless though, I feel very connected to the bike and I do feel a slight gain in my cycling power mainly because you're basically locked onto your cranks. Walking with them on, like stated is a pain when you have the cleats in, I feel like I'm constantly about to fall backwards and the shoes themselves are set up so that your toes are bent back a bit, almost like you're standing on your tip toes which make it somewhat awkward to walk in. If you do go clipless, I'd recommend bringing a separate pair of shoes to swap into. If you're looking for shoes, check performance bikes if you have one near you, sometimes you can score a really good deal on a set of shoes (I got mine for about 50$). Also if you want hybrid shoes, you can look at either Chrome Industries or Mission Workshop, I believe they offer shoes that look and walk somewhat like normal and still have the area to attach cleats to.
Old 01-19-14, 08:22 AM
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a new pair of SPD pedals on ebay made by Wellgo for cheap. Then I found a pair of shoes made by Forte that were barely used. Have less than $40 in the whole set up. This was just to see if I like being clipped in or not, so I am not out a lot and I could always ebay the stuff again.
Old 01-19-14, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonny4947
Just ordered some holdfast straps (was looking at ynot, but found some holdfasts for used about half off). People recommended clipless, so I figured I'd get some of those too to try out. I'd like them to have the hybrid style that allow you to use regular shoes with them. Any recommendations? Shoes and pedals? Oh, and I don't mind buying used.
https://www.dzrshoes.com/
Old 01-19-14, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny4947
hybrid style that allow you to use regular shoes with them.
Are you talking about spd on one side and platform on the other?
Old 01-19-14, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I use Shimano downhill spd pedals their flat on the other side so you can use regular shoes or clips if you want. I paid $80 for them at my lbs. I also bought some Scott shoes for about $100, I've been using them for 2 years with no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spd shoes.jpg (92.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-20-14, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Are you talking about spd on one side and platform on the other?
ya i was