Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting in single digit DEGREE Weather

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting in single digit DEGREE Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 11:10 AM
slow and steady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the day of a snow storm, I will typically drive as the snow piles up so fast here (Tahoe) that the plows don't keep up and the roads get really small...we don't have any MUPs that are plowed. Next day it's fine, and although my longest commute is 8 miles, there are enough hills to stay warm even into the negatives (F). It's the downhill speeds that really make the cold hurt.
Old 02-05-14, 11:14 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mtndragon
It's the downhill speeds that really make the cold hurt.
Can you go down backwards?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-05-14, 11:34 AM

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachManny
NICE! Buffalo!

What do you do when it's snowing outside like today?

Manny
I ride, just takes longer. My back-up, if it got bad enough, is the bus. Every bus in Buffalo now has a bike rack for 2 bikes. I keep $2 in the tool bag for just such an emergency. Only used it twice, though. First time I had a flat but no tube with me and second time I had a flat, it was poring rain, and I was late to work.

I'm off today but looking at the snow coming down, thinking about taking a spin!
Old 02-05-14, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport and 2016 Specialized Pitch 650b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1
I ride, just takes longer. My back-up, if it got bad enough, is the bus. Every bus in Buffalo now has a bike rack for 2 bikes. I keep $2 in the tool bag for just such an emergency. Only used it twice, though. First time I had a flat but no tube with me and second time I had a flat, it was poring rain, and I was late to work.

I'm off today but looking at the snow coming down, thinking about taking a spin!
You and me both...going to go out there on my road bike for about 6 miles and see what it's like.

Major kudos to you getting on the bus twice in 2 years! Super awesome!

Same here I do take bus when my commute is 20 miles one way and weather is not the best or something needs fixed or replaced on my bike.

Manny
Old 02-05-14, 12:10 PM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachManny
Today there is a LOT of snow. I really want to get a good bike I can ride in this type of weather.

Is it impossible to ride in deep snow? Never did that!

Manny
I use a wide profile studded tire and with low enough gears can ride in pretty deep snow. The studs are good on ice and slippery conditions and the 2.125 tires plow through snow up to about 3- 4 inches. deeper than that and I think the width of the tire and studs start to become counterproductive and a more narrow tire with a deep tread can be work a bit better.

It also depends on the texture of the snow, powdery light snow being, of course the easiest, and thick heavy wet snow mixed with frozen clumps and ruts being the toughest.

I have twice broken my chain pumping hard through deep snow in the winter so I think there can be a point where you are really stressing the bike's drive train almost to failure if you don't have quite the right set up for the conditions.

There are also more "Fat bikes" out there. They are super wide tires with low gears and mean slow going but those that ride them take on some pretty gnarly conditions and they can be great fun, if you're not in too much of a hurry.
Old 02-05-14, 06:30 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Never done single digits on a motorcycle, but I had a real learning experience when the temps were in the 30s°F. After about an hour on the interstate, I got off on my exit . . only to find that my fingers were too numb to pull in the clutch .
Single digits with the motorcycle is real tricky. First, the tires and the ground will NEVER get warm. Therefore you must ride accordlingly. I have on about 5 layers, and ELECTRIC gloves.. I can do 15 to 20 minutes and still be comfortable.
Old 02-05-14, 07:28 PM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
going into my seventh winter, I've experienced just about everything you could in that time. I feel confident with the gear that I've gathered over that time will handle anything that my region should throw at me. My personal low is -14f. Deep snow, that is another story. Today we got hit with 7". The side streets were deep, loose snow. I was squirreling out everywhere that wasn't plowed, but I was able to maintain a steady line down a car tire track most of the time, when I had to. Tonight as the temps dip to 6f, the side sts that get heavily traveled should turn into a nice frozen hardpack. That makes for nice winter riding.
Old 02-06-14, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great feedback here!

It's been two days of snow and no riding. I am seriously having bike withdrawals!

Manny
Old 02-07-14, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JCNeumann
Im not worthy.

The closest I've come to that was an outdoor hockey tournament in Minnesota. Water bottles froze in 10 minutes, but we were only outside for 90 minutes at a time.

Every day?

Like I said - I'm not worthy!
Not everyday - not even close this winter. I've managed to bike one day a week, and since I work 4 day weeks, I figure that's still 25%. Missed one week, so I only have 5 commutes in for the year. I guess I've just been picking the nice days to ride this winter - looking back, the morning temps on those five days were:

-24°F
-11°F
-13°F
-15°F
-10°F

But on the bright side, the temps for my ride home were above 0°F for 2 of those 5 days! Feels like spring!
Old 02-07-14, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Experience, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 250, Pro-Lite Bella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it wasn't for the snow, I'd commute(22 miles total)everyday by bike unless it got down to -10F. I did my longest bike(45miles) in single digit temperatures(-4 windchill) a few weeks ago. I overdressed my core to keep my hands from getting cold. Gotta love the wool stuff! Bar mitts didn't hurt either!
Old 02-08-14, 09:53 PM

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
If there wasn't so much snow and ice compounded on top of each other I would just drive. I don't feel very confident driving in those conditions plus I waste a lot of gas just getting it warmed up and ready to go. I can do single digit temps and lower in the afternoon/night, but in the morning it is just terrible. No matter what I do I can never keep my hands warm! The only way I can stay warm in the morning even with ridiculous layers is to do some sort of physical activity before hand, but I never have enough time to do it. I hate riding in single digits and lower, but I have to get to work on time and don't want to spend my hard earned money on public transport or cab. Thankfully my commute is only 3 miles one way, I can stand to be miserable for 15 minutes.
Old 02-10-14, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode last night for 8 miles. Had to ride in the street because of all the snow on the sidewalk.

It was a great ride but I was ready to get home since it was a long commute with bus/train/riding.

Manny