Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This isn't supposed to happen here.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

This isn't supposed to happen here.

Old 01-29-14, 04:35 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm north of the 45th here in Michigan. We have this thing called lake effect snow where the forecast may call for 1" and we wake up to 1 FOOT. I've been snowblowing the drive most every day since Christmas.
My old man grew up at the western end of the UP, just five miles from Lake Superior that rarely freezes so he knew full well about 'lake effect' snow. There they don't bother recording inches - just FEET. 30-40' in an average Winter up there... He has pictures from the 1930s of snow twice the height of a railroad engine. They used a rotary snowblower to keep the tracks clear and blew the snow straight up, making a 'canyon' 30feet deep where the tracks were...
Old 01-29-14, 04:37 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Send some of that snow over here!
My parents just took a vacation in Palm Springs to get away from the cold and snow in Denver - they loved it so much they're talking about moving there. I had to remind them that it gets a mite warm in the summer.
Old 01-29-14, 05:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
What were you riding BD?
Monster Cross

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4523.jpg (100.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-29-14, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I just had to get out in it for a little bit.

.be
Kewl as always, Bennie.

May I suggest you use as a sound track, "Baby, it's cold outside".

Old 01-29-14, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Disclaimer: I say snow and cold, this isn't to imply that our situation compares with the conditions in midwest and northeast! It is probably about 1/2" of snow but it is really iced over with the continued cold temps at 25°F right now keeping it icy and slick everywhere.
Stayed right at freezing all day in Tallahassee. A little frozen rain, but mostly just cold rain. My truck has a sheet of ice on it, but the roads are warm enough not to freeze over. Although I'd expect there are a few nasty bridges and overpasses. Didn't drive far enough to find out.

I was planning on a birthday ride today, but it would have been too nasty even if it were 20 degrees warmer. Ended up having the day off anyway as they closed everything down today as a precaution.
Old 01-29-14, 06:49 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I just had to get out in it for a little bit.
I thought only Yankees enjoyed riding in this kind of weather... :-)
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-29-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 06:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I thought only Yankees enjoyed riding in this kind of weather...
I have always enjoyed getting out in the snow...every three or four years when we see it around here. If it happened more often I think it would get old very quickly.
Old 01-29-14, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over.
That's what you Floridians get for taunting us with those 70F posts! It got up to 13F here today, so I was able to walk around without my ear muffs.
Old 01-29-14, 06:59 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

I have always enjoyed getting out in the snow...every three or four years when we see it around here. If it happened more often I think it would get old very quickly.
I think it became old many years ago
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-29-14, 11:38 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
It's only been in the low 70s at my elevation, with lows in upper 50s. But we have no heat / no insulation so when it's 58 outside it isn't that much warmer inside. Rain and wind last few days. Surf's been up (over 50 foot last week) but with the wind it is blown out. (Not a surfer and don't have interest in getting in all the traffic and tourists trying to get to the north shore to check it out.) I will ride up to Haleiwa and back but not trying to mix it up with all the cars trying to get to Waimea / Sunset / Pipeline.

scott s.
Old 01-30-14, 06:48 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
That's what you Floridians get for taunting us with those 70F posts! It got up to 13F here today, so I was able to walk around without my ear muffs.
I thought about that, BP, it came to mind real quick when it was sleeting and the temps were dropping early Tuesday. I take back every snarky post and remark, I'll do penance of as as many Hail Eddys as necessary if y'all won't do this to us again. Even walking is a chore when the thaw from yesterday afternoon froze in to sheets of ice this morning. Riding is on the schedule for this afternoon, supposed to be in the mid 40's by noon time.

Hopefully everyone elsewhere is okay, we were lucky as far as damage or closings were concerned. The local officials played it safe and acted way ahead of time to do things smart and not at the last minute. I am grateful for the warm home and no injuries or losses for us, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-30-14, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I thought about that, BP, it came to mind real quick when it was sleeting and the temps were dropping early Tuesday. I take back every snarky post and remark, I'll do penance of as as many Hail Eddys as necessary if y'all won't do this to us again. ...
LOL Hail Eddys! I'm not sure I even want credit, because sending that cold stormy stuff to you means us getting the stuff that was meant for northern Hudson Bay. But, just as there's a Flat Fairie(tm), there's also a Sleet Fairie(tm). Anybody who posts, "I don't know why y'all don't like winter -- it's a perfect 85 F here!" will surely incur her wrath and doom us all.
Old 01-30-14, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Monster Cross

Thanks. I just love the names we give to bikes. "Monster Cross" says it all.
Old 01-30-14, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc

Anyone on the east coast want to borrow an indoor trainer?
No thanks, I already have 36 hours(!) on the one I have... this month.
Only 60 hours since 10 Dec.
Old 01-30-14, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Snow in the panhandle! Are you guys sure you are part of Florida? It's been a bit chilly here but it was raining all day yesterday and it doesn't look as if it is going to be any better today. It's currently 45º with not much wind so it's very rideable weather if it wasn't for the rain. Tomorrow should be back in the 70's and Saturday in the low 80's. Bill, you should move a bit further south into the real Florida.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-30-14, 09:00 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by NOS88
Thanks. I just love the names we give to bikes. "Monster Cross" says it all.
"Monster Cross" is the name Mike Varney at Black Mountain Cycles gave the model when he designed it. I call him "Levon".
Old 01-30-14, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
LOL Hail Eddys! I'm not sure I even want credit, because sending that cold stormy stuff to you means us getting the stuff that was meant for northern Hudson Bay. But, just as there's a Flat Fairie(tm), there's also a Sleet Fairie(tm). Anybody who posts, "I don't know why y'all don't like winter -- it's a perfect 85 F here!" will surely incur her wrath and doom us all.
I met BP in Michigan on the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, but didn't know his first name. Are you sure that qcpmsame (Bill) is not referring to "Hail Eddy Mercxk"?
Old 01-30-14, 10:00 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over. At least we aren't as bad off as Atlanta with the entire road system becoming a parking lot when they dismissed all the schools and closed the offices at the same time dumping everyone on to the roads at the time the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Still locked in place this morning, the news shows are having the usual over reaction and are busy blaming anyone they can get on the phone to badger. I am now looking at the first 2 days in a row without riding in several months. Withdrawals are setting in now.

Bill, the glum one.
Just finally reading about the problems in Atlanta. Yikes.

The same thing happened in Portland, Oregon some time ago, and it paralyzed the entire city ... a city in which snow is not all that uncommon and one with a very good transportation infrastructure. People just walked out of their cars and abandoned them on the interstate. I was lucky enough to be in that mess ... took us 2 hours to travel about 3 blocks before we wised up and turned around.

The result was a lot of finger pointing ... I don't know if any good came of it.

Old 01-30-14, 10:19 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
We've been averaging a blizzard a week and the next 10 days are all expected to be in the single digits F or below. I'll be going riding today as the winds are actually under 20 mph for a change and the wind chill is only about -20. Sorry, not much sympathy for Floridians who had to put up with two whole days of what we call November or March.
Old 01-30-14, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I think it became old many years ago
Kitty agrees

Attached Images
Cat.jpg (85.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-30-14, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I met BP in Michigan on the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, but didn't know his first name. Are you sure that qcpmsame (Bill) is not referring to "Hail Eddy Mercxk"?
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Eddy Mercxk, patron saint of roadies. I'm a "John." Bill promised to shape up if "y'all don't do this to us again." I was jut trying to make the point that Bill should say his Act of Contrition to the Sleet Fairie(tm), not us.
Old 01-31-14, 06:28 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
LOL, no I wasn't offering up Roadie prayers to BP/John, it was Eddy Merckx.

The grocery store shelves are pretty thin right now, I-10 was closed until just after noon yesterday and no trucks could get through. Those already on the road that were to come through NW Florida were stuck, they lined both sides of the roadway and filled every parking lot along the highway until the FDOT opened the roads. Due to the bridges icing and no spreaders other than plain dump trucks I-10 was closed from the Alabama line over east to Holmes County and a lot of the other roads around here stayed closed from icing so there weren't alternate routes. No mail could get through until these roads opened either. We are just not set up for this icing of the roads or anything else.

The most surprising thing was the lack of idiots out driving just so they could say they did or could, really very few accidents and abandoned vehicles here. The various governmental entities had already shut things down ahead of time, schools were closed on Tuesday and stayed closed until today. The Navy and Air Force installations also closed to all but essential personnel and suspended flight ops. Most business closed ahead of time so there wasn't a lot of getting home traffic to stall. This is a small town with a fraction of the city's populations so the Interstate and US highways aren't nearly as busy. Everyone pretty much came through safe and unharmed, thankfully.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-31-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 08:51 AM
Have bike, will travel

Here we go again in Chicago;

…*WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON…*

<snip>

* ACCUMULATIONS…*SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND OR ICE ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE WATCH AREA. SOME LOCATIONS COULD SEE SNOWFALL OF 6 OR MORE INCHES…*WHILE SOME OTHER LOCATIONS COULD SEE SOME ICE ACCUMULATIONS.

* IMPACTS…*ACCUMULATING SNOW AND ICE WILL LIKELY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. TRAVEL THROUGH AND TO CHICAGO O'HARE AND MIDWAY AIRPORTS COULD ALSO BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED
Old 01-31-14, 09:05 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I was in Atlanta in the early 80s to attend a tech school. They got an inch or 2 of freezing rain with a little snow on top. There were in excess of 100,000 cars stuck on just the interstate system. People down there just dont know how to drive on slick roads. I sure it would be even worse in Fla.

BTW in my opinion Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb should be canceled due to lack of interest1
Old 01-31-14, 09:48 AM
just keep riding

Attached Images
snap.jpg (53.0 KB, 18 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.