Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are seat post (beam) racks really terrible?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Are seat post (beam) racks really terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 06:33 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Scratch that, based on reviews it looks like a horrible design for anything other than the lightest of loads.
There are others,that was just the first one that came to mind.

There are ones out there that mount to the seatpost collar and skewers. Problem Solvers also makes a binder with rack eyelets.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-10-14, 07:49 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I don't know... wonder if my local hardware store has some P-clamps with some sort of plastic/rubber protection on it. I like the Tubus attachments, but it appears that the lower attachment only works with Tubus racks.
You can find the p-clips at many bike shops or you can look for cushioned p-clips at a hardware store. Either will work.

The Tubus clips are universal and will work with any rack. I've used them for the upper and lower attachment on mountain bikes and road bikes with Delta racks, Sunlite racks and Tubus racks. They work for all of them very well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-11-14, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
re: "Are seat post (beam) racks really terrible?"

my 2 cents ... yes
Old 02-11-14, 03:40 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
There are others,that was just the first one that came to mind.

There are ones out there that mount to the seatpost collar and skewers. Problem Solvers also makes a binder with rack eyelets.
Oh yeah I forgot about those. I might pick up one of those and use a regular rack in conjunction with P-clamps for the bottom attachment only.
Old 02-12-14, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
I used a Topeak beam rack with a carbon seatpost for about 3 years. It worked well for me. Never swayed and I didn't break the seatpost. I only replaced it because the Topeak bag eventually died (broken zippers and a hole on one side). So, a beam rack and CF seatpost can be done.
I actually use this as we speak to carry lunch, clothes, any small items. The one I use is the Carbon beam rack with a carbon post and a topeak trunkbag. but have the beam rack maybe 1/2 inch away from the post clamp. I also replaced the bolts with titanium to lighten the load. Works flawless and I am the envy of my commuting area with that rack on my system six. Rack never moves and is crazy light but strong. I once had a quick release rack but they move all over the place and are too bulky for a road bike.