Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

6-10 inches of snow on the way

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 01:22 PM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Would it be worth trying to ride the bike 11miles in to work in the snow?

I have a jamis 650B1 FS mountain bike at my disposal or motobecane cyclocross which i cam put slightly knobby tires on it.

what do you all think?
Old 02-11-14, 01:40 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Glad I live on the west coast , we had a snow week a warming gap of a month and then another week ..

Though having a built up studded tire bike in the basement , I coped fine . 26" Nokian studs.

got to park it back in the basement again yesterday, when it went back to Rain..

I have no Idea if there is a 650b studded tire , you may be SOL there .. web-surf away .

559 and 622 wheels are better served with winter tires .. 650b may stay parked till thaw.
Old 02-11-14, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I wouldn't do it without studs
Old 02-11-14, 02:21 PM
Bike Recycler

Bikes: Huffy Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY wife is from Etowah N.C. and has been in Canada for twelve years and can't stand the winters up here. Glad to see that someone else is getting it for a change. We have had way to much snow this year. Suprised to see that N.C. is getting it. My wife reads the Transylvania newspaper and she said that Hendersonville has been hit hard this winter as well.
Old 02-11-14, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless you don't encounter cars on your route. I can make my bike very snow-capable, but it doesn't stop a car from sliding into me.
Old 02-11-14, 02:54 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thursday is going to be interesting over here in the Triangle. That is all I can say.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-11-14, 02:58 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I wouldn't do it unless you don't encounter cars on your route. I can make my bike very snow-capable, but it doesn't stop a car from sliding into me.
There's something to this. Driving in the snow is inherently imprecise and people with four wheel drive have a bad habit of thinking that will help them stop too.
Old 02-11-14, 03:22 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
It would be a big adventure, and a lot could go wrong at any point in a pretty long trip. It's going to add unknown amount of time to the trip, even if nothing goes wrong. Take the trip knowing this, and prepare for various kinds of eventualities. You might get a flat or other breakdown, and it could be so cold as to challenge your hands' dexterity. You could wipe out. Your bike could become disabled, and you'd have to get a ride to work or back home. You might be stranded in the cold with nothing to eat. If you are stranded, you'll need extra clothing to stay warm.

I rode in the snow on the road on Sunday for the fun of it. It was cold and snowing. My original goal was to ride 8 miles. I got a late start, and my wife started driving from my destination towards me, going home. When she and I met on the road, I turned around and rode home. I turned around about 3-1/4 miles out before turning back. The sun was setting, and going farther would have involved a lot more risk, and the snow was starting to stick on the road. I had fun, but I didn't want to be crazy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-11-14, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
This is why I take the car on those infrequent occasions when we get snow. Most people here think they're among the few who know how to drive in wintry weather. Almost all are wrong.

W-S probably gets more snow than we do, but I'd still rather have a ton or two on my side if I were riding there.
Old 02-11-14, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The last time we gotta significant snow/sleet storm here, I tried riding and fell over sideways after riding about 100 feet. On my mountain bike. No way I could have ridden one mile let alone 15 miles.
Old 02-11-14, 08:07 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The days I was most grateful to have a bicycle, even with a 28 mile one way commute, to ride home in Washington DC were the days it started snowing and the city closed down.

One of those days, I did see 3 collisions between motorist, but I was able to ride in a way that none came near me. There was a five car collision on the highway home, one car flipped upside down. The state troopers closed the highway and motorist got a 2 hour detour. I asked the trooper if I could RIDE through and he said sure. I got home two hours before any of the motorist made it.

As long as it is fresh snow, regular road tires worked fine. Carry a lighter, I had to thaw ice on the large chainring a couple of times. The ice would build up enough to knock the chain off the other chainring.
Old 02-11-14, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The days I was most grateful to have a bicycle, even with a 28 mile one way commute, to ride home in Washington DC were the days it started snowing and the city closed down.

One of those days, I did see 3 collisions between motorist, but I was able to ride in a way that none came near me. There was a five car collision on the highway home, one car flipped upside down. The state troopers closed the highway and motorist got a 2 hour detour. I asked the trooper if I could RIDE through and he said sure. I got home two hours before any of the motorist made it.

As long as it is fresh snow, regular road tires worked fine. Carry a lighter, I had to thaw ice on the large chainring a couple of times. The ice would build up enough to knock the chain off the other chainring.
Nice, you talk about the snow from Hawaii. Make us all feel really good.

BTW, if you've never been to Shangri La, the Doris Duke estate just east of Diamond Head that is now a museum, you should go.
Old 02-11-14, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1" or 2", maybe. Anything above that just about requires a fat bike. Maybe a Surly Moonlander.
Old 02-11-14, 09:44 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10" of snow in NC? Stay home.

(I was living in SC once when they got maybe half of that. It shut everything down for days.... This was the one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century)

But to answer seriously, I have a bike with good snow tires and I don't ride in those conditions. As others mentioned, you have to consider that all kinds of motor vehicles will be out of control. I also find that it's not fun to ride in snow that deep.

Last edited by Spld cyclist; 02-11-14 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 10:35 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Nice, you talk about the snow from Hawaii. Make us all feel really good.

BTW, if you've never been to Shangri La, the Doris Duke estate just east of Diamond Head that is now a museum, you should go.
Been there when it was closed for environmental work.

And Hawaii has been very rainy January and February.
Old 02-12-14, 07:56 AM

Bikes: 13 salsa vaya, 90 klein pinnacle 01 lemond poprad, 98 klein quantum race, 91 trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we had 3 inches on the ground Monday morning when I left at 5:15. some places were plowed some not. In 12 miles, I had everything from wet roads to hard pack, slush ,fresh untouched snow and rutted loose snow. the bike has 700x35 studded schwalbe marathon winters. It was a full body workout. And at that time very few cars on the road. I was constantly checking the rearview mirror for any overtaking cars. and my concentration was totally focused on the ride. my usual 45 minute commute became 65 minutes and I was mentally and physically tired by the time I got to work. that said it was a great ride. I think that is my limit for snow and I'm considering snows for the mtb, I think a wider tire might be more stable in those conditions. there was no ice since we a few days of sunny but cold weather, just enough to warm the streets during the day and dry them out
Old 02-12-14, 08:01 AM

Well, I rode in, so one way or the other I am going to have to get home.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-12-14, 09:06 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
[
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Would it be worth trying to ride the bike 11miles in to work in the snow?

I have a jamis 650B1 FS mountain bike at my disposal or motobecane cyclocross which i cam put slightly knobby tires on it.

what do you all think?
I'll assume you made your decision already. That said, riding in snow can be fun but only if you can do it without getting squished. Always pick your route carefully.

That's the real problem. It's a problem in places where we get snow on a regular basis and people "know" how to drive in the stuff. Put a lot of snow on the ground with a million newbies and you get Atlanta

By the way, the week that Atlanta was grid locked, we got 3 times as much snow and it didn't even slow traffic down. We still have ice on the roads from that storm. We don't even get a snow day until the snow reaches 18"

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I wouldn't do it without studs
Studs aren't absolutely necessary. Skills are but not studs. I've ridden for 30+ winters without studded tires. That includes this little slice of "heaven"

That's the Great Hanukkah Blizzard of 2006. That was the first 24" of snow that out of 6 storms that hit us over the next month. We had 12" thick glacier of ice on the roadways. I rode the entire time with out studded tires on a mountain bike without issues. Didn't crash once.

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
1" or 2", maybe. Anything above that just about requires a fat bike. Maybe a Surly Moonlander.
No. It doesn't.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-12-14, 09:24 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Since Greg M (our original poster) is in NC, there's a good chance he is not experienced at riding in snow. I'd say the time to take a ride in it is not when commuting, since getting to work on time and in one piece is important.

cyccommute, this may sound crazy, but I've seen Coloradoans drive in snow, and I was very impressed with how well they do. It made sense to me, especially when the weather man in Denver said they were due for a little snow, not much, only about 12 or 13 inches.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-12-14, 09:52 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
to many to respond to

I am originally from VA and have ridden in the snow many times before. I love it. I do think that 10" with ice/ sleet mixed in might be a little much. I am just hoping to get home tonight. I do have a sleeping bag, clothes packed for tomorrow, backpacking food/ stove in case i am stuck. MY work has put a bunch of people in a hotel downtown. I just want to get home tonight.

I drove today so I will be driving home. hopefully work will be delayed and i can play in the snow before going to work tomorrow.
Old 02-12-14, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I

My opinions based on my experience doesn't mean **** to the pros here on BF. cyccommute can answer all your questions.
Old 02-12-14, 11:29 AM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I' m commuting just over 10 miles each way every day in quite a bit of snow this year. If the snow is falling or freshly fallen I take a streets route and the big danger is out of control motor vehicles.

As others have pointed out the bike riding part is relatively easy. My other route is a bike path,which varies in how well plowed it is. I have a dedicated "ice bike" an old MTB With 2.125 studded Nokian tires and can tackle pretty much anything but deep snow means a lot of effort and torque goes into each pedal stroke. I have broken my chain twice this way in the last couple of years. And it's a bear fixing a broken link on a freezing night in a snow storm even if you bring a chain tool.

In an area where drivers are not accustomed to snowy conditions I would be super wary of traveling out in a storm unless I absolutely had to whether riding my bike or driving. And bad winter storms present other hazards not too bike friendly like downed power lines and tree limbs.
Old 02-12-14, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Studs aren't absolutely necessary. Skills are but not studs. I've ridden for 30+ winters without studded tires. That includes this little slice of "heaven"
Agree.
Having ridden nearly as much with than without them in the last ten year, the one time i fell on the ground during Canadian winter was with studs. Because of the studs I was being overconfident. Without them i'm extra careful and ride even on black ice. Studs don't solve everything.
Old 02-12-14, 11:56 AM
aka Tom Reingold

buzzman, you've broken chains? What do you weigh? The only chain I broke was when I was stoking on a tandem, and I understand it's not that unusual. Also, 9-speed and higher chains are more delicate, not only because of their slender dimensions but also because installing the pin is easy to do wrong.

Old 02-12-14, 01:29 PM

Rode home with an inch or two on the ground and with a lot more falling. I had the good sense to air down my tires (700x32s) this time, which was a big help. It was like riding 3 miles while someone threw Slurpee in my face, though.

They've sent the staff home until 1100 tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.