Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How did you choose your Brompton color?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

How did you choose your Brompton color?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Manufacturers rarely sell customer direct.
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.
Old 02-17-14, 02:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tk1971
Got the white one because it was in stock and looked better than the other colors at the time I ordered. Then, after my wife took the pretty white one from me, I ordered the black one because... let's face it, everyone has an evil twin. It's best to keep them together.
That's funny. I think that when you both go for a ride, you should dawn the black hat and your wife the white.
Old 02-17-14, 02:40 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday is an exception, you can order it from the factory and when completed , they ship it to your door.

though they have some dealers , in other countries the dealer sorts out all the applicable VAT,
Customs and import duties .

IDK what margin they offer dealers to have them in shops.
Old 02-17-14, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
It is a bit nuts if from what you are saying, you are in Singapore. If you are, then why are you ordering from a cycle shop in Portland? I'm sure there are lots of good shops where you are. All that shipping back and forth will take quite a bit of time unless someone is willing to pay quite a bit for shipping. I'm not sure, but can one not order a bike directly from Brompton?
Well, over here it's very expensive, because there's only one Brompton dealer in the entire country. For the exact same specs, I'm looking at US$2,377 here, vs US$1,848 in Portland. That's more than a US$500 difference.

Not to mention Portland offer various grip and seat options and Dynamo hub lighting that isn't offered here. Checking the local forums seems - so far - to show that no one here offers dynamo hubs.

Even adding a top end Shimano dynamo hub I'm still saving about US$250. Of course, that would be eaten up by a further 7% GST charge and US$140 to ship it in.

By far the biggest downside would be the wait - more than 2 months from the day I order.
Old 02-17-14, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Another shout out to Clever Cycles of Portland. My wife and I bought our Bromptons from them. Shipped to California. Good service. Bikes arrived well packaged and tuned well. Six speeds with Dynos.

-D
Old 02-17-14, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keyven
Well, over here it's very expensive, because there's only one Brompton dealer in the entire country. For the exact same specs, I'm looking at US$2,377 here, vs US$1,848 in Portland. That's more than a US$500 difference.

Not to mention Portland offer various grip and seat options and Dynamo hub lighting that isn't offered here. Checking the local forums seems - so far - to show that no one here offers dynamo hubs.

Even adding a top end Shimano dynamo hub I'm still saving about US$250. Of course, that would be eaten up by a further 7% GST charge and US$140 to ship it in.

By far the biggest downside would be the wait - more than 2 months from the day I order.
What country are you in?
Old 02-17-14, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Singapore.

After everything is added up, the Portland Brompton would be exactly the same price as a Singapore Brompton EXCEPT for the additional "Shimano Dynamo Hub, Premium Cyo T Senso Plus front, standlight rear" worth US$253.00.

So basically... a 2+ months wait for a "free" Hub Dynamo + Lights. Otherwise, I'd have to import and have them installed at additional costs, likely US$250-350 more.

Worth the wait?

Last edited by keyven; 02-17-14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 09:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there some secret I'm missing out on? Seems like Brompton wheels come in 28H but almost all Hub Dynamos advertised are either 32H or 36H.

Why is that?

Do the wheels get changed when I order a dynamo hub with the brompton? Or do they have special access to 28H dynamo hubs?
Old 02-18-14, 11:38 AM

Bikes: 2009 Brompton S6R-X, 2001 RM Birdy Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted the raw laquer, but had no choice.

My wife actually ordered the bike as and engagement present, she chose the bright orange.

The bike was actually delayed, and we ended up waiting 9 months (the bike shop (curbside) said they ran out of titanium supplies for that year?... not sure whether I can buy that excuse... and that my bike was the last of the titaniums for 2009 though delivered in mid 2010). Brompton ended up giving me an A bag and free carrier block as compensation for the delay.

I think the raw laquer looks AWESOME! But at least I won't get run over on my bright orange brommie...
Old 02-18-14, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psykoocycle
I wanted the raw laquer, but had no choice.

My wife actually ordered the bike as and engagement present, she chose the bright orange.

The bike was actually delayed, and we ended up waiting 9 months (the bike shop (curbside) said they ran out of titanium supplies for that year?... not sure whether I can buy that excuse... and that my bike was the last of the titaniums for 2009 though delivered in mid 2010). Brompton ended up giving me an A bag and free carrier block as compensation for the delay.

I think the raw laquer looks AWESOME! But at least I won't get run over on my bright orange brommie...
Your fiancee bought you that bike for an engagement present? All I can say is that you have a wonderful woman there that has proven how much she cares for you. Stand by her my friend.

Yes, I agree that the raw lacquer finish looks awesome. I was tempted by its beauty until I saw my red and white. I don't think you will get run over by your bright orange Brommie either. That's my wife's favorite color. Gotta get it for her one day soon -- well as soon as my wallet fattens up some .
Old 03-18-14, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was trying to choose my color, I was originally wanting a white one, but Clever Cycles only had some sage green, pink and black ones in stock the weekend we were visiting Portland. I will admit that during the "Build Your Brompton" tools, I went through the rainbow of color combos I would have chosen, but decided that over the years, my color preferences would change, so I landed on a timeless white.

But there in the corner was a raw lacquer one and it looked gorgeous in person. Forget the price premium for a non-color, I needed the raw lacquer! The brazing and non-color of the raw steel just added to the design of the Brompton itself...I had to have it.

Congrats on your new Brompton!
Old 03-18-14, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Purpleorchid
When I was trying to choose my color, I was originally wanting a white one, but Clever Cycles only had some sage green, pink and black ones in stock the weekend we were visiting Portland. I will admit that during the "Build Your Brompton" tools, I went through the rainbow of color combos I would have chosen, but decided that over the years, my color preferences would change, so I landed on a timeless white.

But there in the corner was a raw lacquer one and it looked gorgeous in person. Forget the price premium for a non-color, I needed the raw lacquer! The brazing and non-color of the raw steel just added to the design of the Brompton itself...I had to have it.

Congrats on your new Brompton!
Thanks!

Must be just me, but I fail to see the appeal of raw lacquer, especially when the practical side of me tells me it needs more care and attention than normal.

It looks good, but good enough for the extra $$? I just can't see it However, given how many people have swooned over it, I'm sure I'm missing something lol. Or maybe I just have to see it in person o.O
Old 03-18-14, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
One thing I have to give Brompton credit for is the ability to choose the colour/s of your bike. Here are mine and my wife's Bromptons. They look slightly different as they have Brooks saddles and Ergon grips but you can get the idea of colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brompton 012 [800x600].jpg (99.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-18-14, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
One thing I have to give Brompton credit for is the ability to choose the colour/s of your bike. Here are mine and my wife's Bromptons. They look slightly different as they have Brooks saddles and Ergon grips but you can get the idea of colour.
They go beautifully with the backdrop. Love it!
Old 03-24-14, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a free used white brompton with a very expensive haircut!
Old 03-24-14, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Beautiful. Just to snub my nose up at the dictates of society, I would ride the pink one. What about you?
Old 03-24-14, 06:04 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Reminder : Giro d Italia Winner wears the Pink Jersey , daily GC, or final podium.
Old 03-24-14, 06:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
Beautiful. Just to snub my nose up at the dictates of society, I would ride the pink one. What about you?
I have nothing against pink - my ipod mini used to be a lovely bright pink. However, I can't bring myself to order pink (not full pink - maybe pink/white), simply because I prefer orange or red or white.

My friend was pushing me to get pink, though I think it was so he could laugh at me lol.
Old 03-30-14, 11:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Clever Cycles completely decided on British Green - then I saw the raw lacquer and that's all I wanted.

Well worth the extra $$, at least to me.
Old 03-30-14, 11:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alienbogey
I went to Clever Cycles completely decided on British Green - then I saw the raw lacquer and that's all I wanted.

Well worth the extra $$, at least to me.
Good choice!