Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fitness

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 11:57 AM

Bikes: looking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitness

How do all of you stay in shape over the off season.I run and walk on the treadmill.usually doing most hills,dont have the time for the gym.iam 6,3 290 pounds.any advice on what else i could be doing.thanks
Old 03-03-14, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I pray and hope I don't gain more than I lost the last time I was riding, LOL.

Seriously, I dusted off the bike and tried that because I couldn't be consistent with weight lifting in the basement or riding my wife's exercise bike. Started riding the end of summer last year and lost 30 lb. Haven't been on the bike since November 22 when work picked up and it started getting dark early and cold. I try to get on the exercise bike now and then but I'm not consistent with it. About all I can stand staring at the concrete wall while riding it is half an hour.

I definitely do feel better on days I jump on that stationary bike for half an hour though.

oh, and I've gained about 2 lb. since November. I'm happy with that because I fell apart through winter jumping back to snacking during the most depressing time of year. At this point, it seems like we are never going to get back out into the yard out of the house, but hopefully the warmer weather is coming. This single digit temperature is depressing.
Old 03-03-14, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
I ride outside when I can. I ride on a fluid trainer when I can't ride outside both at the LBS for spin class twice a week and at home by either watching cycling tv or race vids on you tube or doing a Sufferfest workout. In other words I mix it up but all on the bike.
Old 03-03-14, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Generally speaking I take November and December off, and pay for it Jan/Feb and March.

Indoor riding, either at home or at the gym, and this year I'm strength training at the gym three days a week.
Old 03-03-14, 01:06 PM

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike on trainer. Netflix + Trainer Road. Bored to tears, so I keep an extra towel on hand to soak them up.

TR workouts are getting long and tough enough that chamois cream is starting to look like a necessity.
Old 03-03-14, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I take advantage of any opportunity that i can. right now with my schedule bicyling is not my main exercise mode. that will change in the summer with more light and kid out of school so there is more commuting.

Fortunately this year a bunch of things came to gether...fitness center at work, my son rehabbing his knee from ACR surgery and him having to be at school at 6:30 for football conditioning

a pefrectweek might look like this....less perfect is just less

Mon, tues, Thurs, Friday workout at work fitness center. Aerobic is 24 min on a techno gym elliptical on interval setting. I use a HRM and chart my workouts, when my average heart rate on this goes down I up the effort level

Mon and Friday add a weight workout. 5 reps each/5 sets set = squats, trx rows, bench press with dumbells, row with dumbells, clean jerk press with dumbell, biceps with dumbells, triceps with dumbells if things are going I will add a weight session of kettlebell swings, one legged romananian deadlifts, "lay on fitness ball and extend medicine ball over head"

evenings and weekends (2- 4 times a week) i go to our family fitness club and swim, spin cycle, intervalls on rowing machine, treadmill with (or at least at the same time) as my son works on knee rehab.

Old 03-03-14, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The key is to keep busy. I find when I'm not working or doing household chores, all I want to do is lay around and eat. In the warmer months, that's my cue to hop on the bike for a ride. Over the winter months, I hit the exercise bike or dress warm and walk the dog. Lately it's been shoveling snow or cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood to beat the deep freeze we've been in this year.
Old 03-03-14, 06:32 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
there is no off season here. Ride, run my dog, run solo, run w/ stroller and ride some more

BUT my off season would be when (not if) i crash my mtb hard enough for a 1-2month layoff. And that usually happens when I'm in great shape..go figure
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.