Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brifters vs. Downtube shifters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Brifters vs. Downtube shifters

Old 03-24-14, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
All shifters can be shifted from the drops if they are positioned correctly on the bars. This is a non issue.
I assume you've raced with Campy. How'd you handle shifting during sprints? I think I'd have issues with that. One rider I know tells me he's gotten bruises on his wrists/forearms from them hitting/pressing against his bars hard while shifting during sprints.
Old 03-24-14, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob dopolina
all brifters can be shifted from the drops if they are positioned correctly on the bars. This is a non issue.
fify

Old 03-24-14, 12:02 PM

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good thread. Some futurism, some retro-grouching, some racer-boi worship, some lousy trolling. Good stuff. Kudos to ol' timers who gritted their teeth and suffered the indignities of Downtube shifting before the advent of 'brifters'.

I wonder in the future; if civilization is still around, if folks are going to be arguing the merits of electronic shifting as opposed to Neural Shifting.

Which brings up this: At what point are all these technological advancements unnecessary? It's a bike. You get on it, you pedal, you go somewhere. When does all this racing become irrelevant, when it's becoming more about tech, and about drugs, and about conditioning? What about the human suffering, maannnn?
Maybe we should have homies race on lugged steel or heavy Carbon framed, Downtube shifting bikes.

Why not just get a motorcycle if it's all so freakin' hard?
Old 03-24-14, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
My only point is you will outgrow 2300 shifters. You can't shift from the drops. That is a deal breaker for me. It means you are basically crippling your bike and making it unusable in certain basic ways.

FWIW, I cut my teeth on downtube shifters and I have used them off-and-on since I started riding, so it isn't like I am speaking from inexperience here. I used them for commuting for a long time and I will say unequivocally that they are not a hazard in traffic. Put another way, if you are so unstable on your bike that taking your hand off the bar represents a risk, I wouldn't take my chances in traffic on any bike.
I happen to think DT shifters are totally fine as well, but I think if you're going to critique the Sora/2300 thumb-shifter for being more difficult due to the small change in hand position to hit that button (I have that 2300 on my Defy3), you have to similarly critique the DT shifter for the small shift in hand position to shift.

I can say for sure that short of uber-aggressive criterium riding, there is nothing remotely crippling about the 2300 and its thumbshifter. You could likely say the same for DT shifters.

I would still definitely prefer my 2300 brifter/thumbbutton to DT shifters, though.
Old 03-24-14, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't want to get into another debate with you, however...

Originally Posted by sleepy
Which brings up this: At what point are all these technological advancements unnecessary?
It's all unnecessary. Down-tube shifters are unnecessary. Derailleurs are unnecessary. Anything other than two wheels (one of which has a cog), cranks (complete with sprocket) a frame, a fork, a seat (and maybe seat post) and handlebars is unnecessary. But... so?

If there are people who are going to work to make bicycles lighter, faster, better, and more advanced, why shouldn't we benefit from their labors?

Stuff advances all the time and as it happens, those advancements trickle down to the masses. Why should bicycles be any different? It's not like we're reading this internet forum on Commodore 64s with 300 baud dial-up modems or something.
Old 03-24-14, 04:28 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
I assume you've raced with Campy. How'd you handle shifting during sprints? I think I'd have issues with that. One rider I know tells me he's gotten bruises on his wrists/forearms from them hitting/pressing against his bars hard while shifting during sprints.
That means your buddy has his levers jacked a la Shimano.

I shift while sprinting from the drops on Campy all the time. It's remarkably easy, easier than Shimano, in fact. You just hook your thumb over the lever and squeeze to shift.

Old 03-24-14, 04:38 PM
Mr. Dopolina

@RJM, in your post #415 you altered your quote of me. I did not say that. Please fix it as it does not represent what I said or believe.

Also, you are suggesting that I am The Man and that I have a vested interest in selling parts for racing. First, we don't sell groups sets and never will. Second, a large partion of the products we sell are not directed at racers at all. We have made a conscious effort from the beginning to try to appeal to as broad a segment of the cycling market as possible.

That's why we sell things like computer and light mounts, disc rotors, brake pads, spokes, FG/SS hubs and parts etc none of which are racer specific.

Old 03-24-14, 04:40 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep using downtube shifters cuz I ain't found nobody to set me up with this here grip shifter thingie on my roadie...

Old 03-24-14, 04:43 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by gc3
I keep using downtube shifters cuz I ain't found nobody to set me up with this here grip shifter thingie on my roadie...

Ah, from humble beginnings.

You can set those up like bar end shifters. I knew people who raced on those between DT and integrated levers.

Old 03-24-14, 05:15 PM
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3

You can always buy a GMC Denali from Walmart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_3818.jpg (91.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-24-14, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Campy is great. Especially the 2009 and newer design. No shifting problems.

Lots of people use Shimano & Sram, so I assume they are great too.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 03-24-14 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by joe932
Have you tried Shimano 2200 brifters? They are pretty crappy. And you can't upshift from the drops.
Don't disagree with the difficulty of using the thumb shifter from the drops, and they are definitely the lowest rung on the ladder. But crappy or not, they actually work just fine - at least the 1/2 dozen or so bikes that I've ridden and/or tuned. They are perfectly fine for anyone who is in that price category and wants to ride and even race.
Old 03-24-14, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I've got a little trouble downshifting with shimano when I'm in the drops. The lever is too close
Old 03-25-14, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I've got a little trouble downshifting with shimano when I'm in the drops. The lever is too close
HTFU and cut your fingers shorter. As a bonus you won't have to trim your fingernails again.
Old 03-27-14, 12:16 PM

Bikes: 2014 Motobecane Mirage S;

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with the STI.
I had twist shifters on my TT on the aero bars and it was just so easy to stay aerodynamic and shift!
I, myself ordered the Motobecane Mirage S just a couple of days ago. I have a repair stand to set up for assembly but it's not necessary. I used to hang my bike from the joists in the basement to maintain it but didn't like the sway when the bike was handled. In the long run it's your preference anyway. Whatever you're used to; you have to like it!
Keep the Roll Going!
Old 03-27-14, 07:47 PM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who makes down tube shifter these days?
Old 03-27-14, 08:18 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
Do you need some?
Old 03-27-14, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a bike with the sunrace DT shifters. They were bad. Really bad. I doubt the brifters are that good as far as they go, but worlds better than the DT shifters.

My bike has DT shifters because it allows me to use bullhorns with a tri-brake lever type setup. Its a pain in hilly areas to constantly shift, but it keeps me focused more on riding than shifting.
Old 03-27-14, 08:54 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3

The OG gripshifts were for roadies and they pre-date brifters, IIRC. Pretty sure were only 6-speed, didn't quite live into the 7-speed era.
Old 03-27-14, 09:04 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
How many speeds?

8 speed?

10 speed?

No shifter mounts on that frame? No problem.
Old 03-27-14, 09:04 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
You can set those up like bar end shifters. I knew people who raced on those between DT and integrated levers.
What would be the benefit over bar end? With bar end, you don't have to screw around with your grip and you have precise control. Looks better too.

A lot of 'bents come with grip shifts standard, but bar end (or maybe thumb depending on how bars are set up) is a better way to go. Of all the types of shifters out there, the only I like less than grip shift is stem shifters.
Old 03-27-14, 09:09 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
What would be the benefit over bar end? With bar end, you don't have to screw around with your grip and you have precise control. Looks better too.

A lot of 'bents come with grip shifts standard, but bar end (or maybe thumb depending on how bars are set up) is a better way to go. Of all the types of shifters out there, the only I like less than grip shift is stem shifters.
Mrs. rjones28 has bar ends on her trike.

Old 03-27-14, 09:13 PM
Mr. Dopolina

I don't know. I wasn't one of the guys doing it. I just saw it done.

If I had to guess, price maybe?

Old 03-27-14, 10:01 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I love gripshifts. So fast, light and hard to break in a crash. Kinda bummed I didn't get more of the good 8 - speed Attacks before they stopped making them. The current 8 - speeds are pretty crappy comparatively - more like slow, sloppy and ugly.
Old 03-27-14, 10:05 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't know. I wasn't one of the guys doing it. I just saw it done.

If I had to guess, price maybe?
Some people just don't like barends. The original gripshifts were made specifically for road bars, right diameter and everything. They had better acceptance in Tri - geek circles though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.